• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 cylnder gets empty very quick

nijat11

Hello everyone.
I have 6 kg CO2 cylnder and 800 liter aquarium. I use pH controller to get around 1.2 points drop and running injection for 12 hours (2 ours before lights get on and hour before lights get off). Drop checked green and a bit yellowish.
My cylnder gets empy for 25-28 days.
I thought that skmeting broken in regulator or cylnder so I replaced both.
So my question, is it normal for 6kg cylnder to get empty for 25 days or something wrong in my setup?

what is your working pressure and how many bubbles per second are passing through to your diffuser?

what is your working pressure and how many bubbles per second are passing through to your diffuser?
I dont have diffuser, Im using CO2 reactor and outlet goes to return pump of the sump. If we can count bubles in reactor, i think there is a lot. definitely 15+ per second

I dont have diffuser, Im using CO2 reactor and outlet goes to return pump of the sump. If we can count bubles in reactor, i think there is a lot. definitely 15+ per second
Ok, I am not familiar with that set up but sounds like you may have a leak somewhere. I have outlet (working pressure) set at 1.5 bubbles per second and my 2kg cannister lasts about 10/11 months

Wait. The outlet from the reactor goes into the open water of a sump, where it’s then sucked up by the sump’s return pump?

You’re losing a LOT of CO2 right there, if that’s the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait. The outlet from the reactor goes into the open water of a sump, where it’s then sucked up by the sump’s return pump?

That is the only option that I have. Outlet pipe stays in front of return pipe

Couldn’t you run the return pipe into a reactor and then into the tank?

Nope, it will a flow, max reactor capacityh is 2000l/h, return pump is 6500 l/h. I think I set preasure too high, it was around 4 bar, but should be 1 bar. Maybe that is a reason

Seems normal to me, at the club with 400 liters tank, co2 2kg last less than 2 weeks. 1+ pH drop in 800 requires lots of co2. Also depends on the surface agitation you work with, i use surface skimmer on all of my tanks

Why do you say that this layout increases CO2 loss?

You may be able to improve your method simply by using a cut down plastic bottle and a basic defuser
IMG_8180.jpeg

I dont think I have ever come across anyone using your method, it does not sound like the best way.
Why cant you use a by pass and valve and flow the reactor straight back into the main tank?
If I understood you correctly, you mean to take the reactor outflow directly to the tank? In that case I need to make additional hole , unfortunately Im not that handy :D

Back