• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

co2 timer

hi,

how many hours before the lights come on should I have the co2 injecting?
and how many hours before the lights go off should I turn the co2 injection off?

2 hours and 1 hours, but really depends on your tank. Use the drop checker, green at lights on is what you are after.

ok and what about lights off, has to stay green up until the point of lights off I guess?

nope, :S
im from same place as jojo though, ill ask her about the tap water if that's any help?

No it will not help. Water chemistry is irrelevant when it come to CO2. People make this assumption all the time and it leads to endless problems. Your gas timer needs to open sufficiently in advance of lights-on in order to saturate the water with as much CO2 as possible. If the tank is large, then it might require the gas to be turned on an hour or two prior to lights on. It can the be turned off a few hours before lights -off.

Cheers,

I now have it on 2 hours before lights on, and turn it off 1 hour before lights off, maybe I can turn it off sooner, will try it out

It doesn't really matter if you turn the gas off earlier or not. That's more about saving gas than anything else (which I suppose does matter if your consumption is high). It's 1000X more important to have good CO2 when the lights come on, and it's a good idea to take several pH readings at gas-on and throughout the photoperiod to see how the gas is behaving.

Cheers,

I think it should be fine at lights on, and im all for saving gas lol
ill get a test kit for the ph, can you recommend a good one that doesn't cost the earth?

Back