• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Considering moving spray bar to back of tank.

Hi foxfish, not did not realize that...my regulator is not adjustable...I have inserted the co2 line into the filter pipe in the tank and waiting for 9am for the co2 to switch on. Then I will start at 1 or 2bps and see how it goes. At the moment I have not removed the filter floss and hope that does not cause a build up of co2 in the filter.

Morning dave, thanks for the offer, how did you find the diffuser? I have read on google, that some people find they produce a milky appearance to the water, and others that they have to clean them on a very regular basis.

My hose is 16/22...at the moment I am waiting for the clock to tick to 9am when the co2 kicks on...I have left the filter floss in the filter for now.

I found it good. You can see your flow pattern and where the CO2 is going. I'm still using one, the other is just a spare and would fit your set up.

As Foxfish has mentioned you will need to run above 2bar to get this to work. Do you know if your reg has adjustable working pressure? If not just try going straight into the filter as Foxfish says. The important thing is to give any changes you make a bit of time so that everything settles down.

Hi Dave....my reg is not adjustable and appears to be working at 40 psi if that is accurate!! I am not certain it is as when I changed over to the FE...it was still showing 40 psi when I was disconnected from the co2 bottle.

I have a reg/solenoid from CO2 supermarket! it think it is just a generic chinese one. My eyes are not that clever but I think it says I-ISL.

40 psi is about 3bar so that would be fine, its just that not many folk stick to useing up's for long as they can be pretty fickle to get right & do indeed fill the tank with microbubbles...however they are very efficient if you can get one working for any length of time!
I would feed into your power filter & out into the spray bar, place the power heads under the spray bar facing to the front.
As we know every tank is different but in my 200lt tank the bubble count is just a blur, my fish are fine & the plants grow very fast!
You might have to up your bubble rate slowly but if you were using 4 bps before then expect to use at least that again..

thanks foxfish....at the moment I am feeding 3bps directly into the filter.....will let it run at that for a couple of hours and check the DC and ph and adjust....unless of course the fish show distress! Good to know that if needed there should be enough pressure for a UP inline although I am not sure about a "milky" look in the tank.

I think your reg is an HSL one. See how you go with straight injection and if you want to try the UP I can post it too you. Then you can evaluate it and decide if you want to buy one.

Thanks Dave yes I will see how it goes....Thought by injecting directly into the filter I would use less CO2....at the moment I have turned my bps rate up to what I was using previously 4 bps? I thought it would be less as more CO2 would be diffused?

both dave...I will check again at 3pm but the last time it was between 6.8 and 7ppm.....DC is green but a dark green...the co2 is deffo going in the filter as I can see the bubbles going up the pipe!

Well I have upped the rate to about 6 bps, difficult to count properly, and all was ok until this afternoon. I have had 4 or 5 small burps or maybe could call them hiccups ;) I will see how it goes over the next day or so...I do not want to risk damaging my filter..not at the prices that they charge for Eheim spares. Should I leave the filter floss in or remove it?

You wont damage the filter short term but you might of found the limit it can handle regarding the gas flow.
If that is the case try 5bps.
You might get better performance by removing the floss but I would give it at least few days at 5bps & see how it goes.

Hi foxfish,
Yes I have just turned the co2 off...the spraybar just started throwing out quite a few bubbles every 45secs or so...will turn it down to 5bps tomorrow and see how it goes as I do not really want to gas my fish :mad: thought I had found an economical way of diffusing the co2.. it generally goes off at 5pm so only an hour early.

Bit of an update...........I forgot to turn the bps down and at the moment (touch wood) I have not had any burping! I wonder whether yesterday it was caused when I had to disconnect the outflow from the aquarium, to retrieve a large leaf that had travelled down the hose? The hose had to initially suck up air when I restarted the filter and that may have been swirling around the filter?

Spoke too soon.. Should have kept my mouth shut...It has just started!! I will turn it down in the morning...I will leave a great big note on my laptop that even I could not miss and try again tomorrow!

Well two days at 5 bps and no burping!!
Just see what happens this weekend as Friday I am due to do some filter cleaning.

My son also presented me with another Newave 1.6 powerhead:) ..nice flow but the fish seem to now spend 80% of their time down the opposite end of the tank. I also have noticed two small deadspots at the far end corners! But if I go another week without any filter problems I will then move to the long spray bar at the back of the tank.

Couple of questions though. Will the two powerheads a) not be too strong set at the lower 800 lph? and b) will just two powerheads be enough? I do have a rather ugly 200lph submersible if needed!

It has started burping again and it seems to be linked to filter maintenance....I changed the filter floss this morning and I had to re-syphon and restart the filter.
It started about 7hrs after the co2 was switched on. If it follows the previous pattern then it will do the same tomorrow and then settle down. I will keep a close eye on my fish and if it carries on beyond two days I will have to look at a UP Inline diffuser.

Back