• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crystal Mountain

Looking fantastic! love how you have incorporated the rock and wood! Can you share details on your photography setup, Camera, Lens etc, even F stop / shutter speeds etc? How far back from the tank do you take the picture, with a 18mm lens I am guessing fairly far back otherwise the horizontal lines would start to distort? Again well done, this one will be epic when grown in.

EDIT - I see the photos are hosted on Flickr I was able to get most of the info from there... would be interesting to the distance from the tank tho when you take the shot!

Hi there doycolmdoyle,

You can see all the details from my photos at Flicker just click on the pictures to follow the link, scroll down and voila, all the secrets about every each one of the photos, the only post processing that i normally do is with Lighroom.
I crop the image and do a lens correction and also do a black vignetting , and as I shoot in RAW format I adjust the highlights and shadows and the black and white balance ... And that basically does it ;)

EDIT - I see the photos are hosted on Flickr I was able to get most of the info from there... would be interesting to the distance from the tank tho when you take the shot!

You can get that info from Flickr also, in this particular photos the focal distance was about 95cm :) when I use my 10-18mm is much closer to the tank ;)

You can get that info from Flickr also, in this particular photos the focal distance was about 95cm :) when I use my 10-18mm is much closer to the tank ;)
Cheers for the reply! Yeah I noticed the focal length in Flickr after I posted, thanks for the tips !

Looking really good, love the shape you are already getting on those stems at the back. Great photos again!

One month after starting this scape it's going strong :)

It has destabilized a bit from the last trimming, the PO4 went to zero, and left some margin for GSA to take a grip on the hardscape, the dosing was adjusted today with 2 new bottles of macro and micro, let's see what happens ;)

Here are a few shots, hope you guys like it :D

29955861196_2ea5be308e_k.jpg_MG_2490 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

29906700981_b0a2c00399_k.jpg_MG_2492 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

29955860916_ec4f10300f_k.jpgIMG_2493 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

29363350483_a6f393a03a_k.jpgIMG_2499 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

29990019225_75de40d002_k.jpgIMG_2500 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

29696127760_9c7146b4b2_k.jpgIMG_2501 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

29363348703_d40bfe9a3e_k.jpgIMG_2507 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

Lovely! I almost dont mind the GSA on the rocks, all looks very balanced, tho I will be interested to see if you can fight the GSA off with upping your PO4 dosing

Lovely! I almost dont mind the GSA on the rocks, all looks very balanced, tho I will be interested to see if you can fight the GSA off with upping your PO4 dosing

I there doylecolmdoyle,

Thank you for your words, I also like the GSA on the hardscape, gives it a more natural look, but at the same time takes away some of the rock beauty.

I've only upped the PO4 intake by 1,2ppm weekly now aiming for 4,2ppm weekly instead of 3ppm this is a 0,6ppm daily input, but hoping to be enough to keep them on check ...

Some rock scrubbing with a toothbrush will also help in diminishing it a long with more frequent water changes ;)

I there doylecolmdoyle,

Thank you for your words, I also like the GSA on the hardscape, gives it a more natural look, but at the same time takes away some of the rock beauty.

I've only upped the PO4 intake by 1,2ppm weekly now aiming for 4,2ppm weekly instead of 3ppm this is a 0,6ppm daily input, but hoping to be enough to keep them on check ...

Some rock scrubbing with a toothbrush will also help in diminishing it a long with more frequent water changes ;)

Keep us posted! I too am battling some GSA on rocks, not as heavy as the GSA in your photos but I have also upped PO4, I even ordered a phosphate test kit but not sure how accurate it is, even after increasing my dosing it seems to read very low.

Keep us posted! I too am battling some GSA on rocks, not as heavy as the GSA in your photos but I have also upped PO4, I even ordered a phosphate test kit but not sure how accurate it is, even after increasing my dosing it seems to read very low.

I have really good conditions for this algae take it's grip on the hardscape, with PAR levels of 120-130 at substrate and not being a heavily planted tank, there will be always margin for this kind of algae to thrive in this setup, it's all about maintenance tough ...
I most confident that when I have the Rotalas really thriving and with the shape and volume that I'm aiming this will be more manageable ...

I will do my best to keep this tank always up to date ...

Thank you for following ;)

120 PAR is a lot of lighting in my opinion :) you can get into trouble if you don't know how to manage

GSA is not a real issue but BBA can be :)

It's really high light this CHIHIROS fixtures are very powerful rated at 9700 Lumens each :D

As for managing I have my routines figured out, it's not my first planted tank ;), nonetheless tank you for your concern :)

Hey dude, Do you run your chihiro lights at full or dimmed?

Had a look at your AGA biotope entry. Loved it! That wood has been a great investment indeed!

Hey dude, Do you run your chihiro lights at full or dimmed?

Had a look at your AGA biotope entry. Loved it! That wood has been a great investment indeed!

Hi rebel,

Thank you for your words, really appreciated :)

Has for the lights I've been using them at full power for 6H/day, when the HC carpet closes completely, I will up this to 8H/day and see how the tank manages ;)

I will try to do some PAR readings at this lights, but outside the tank at a given hight and at their different power settings ;)

Great stuff man. These lights are very powerful at a fraction of the cost of any other light. I find that the colour is also very good (maybe not perfect).

Hi Nuno, could you tell the name of the plants in the 4th and 6th photos above?
Thanks and congratulations for the very nice tank!

Looks superb as always.Do you fertilise from the beginning?Maybe use half dose from early start?You dont believe that ADA paradigm to fertilise only with K in the begining?

Back