• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cycling confusion

You can always buy plastic floating rings made for the purpose, very cheap. They will contain them and lessen splash. Many people evolve away from them, but if you want to feel you have them contained then go ahead. I started with them but you soon get used to throwing away excess. It's better to have some than not.

They are very easy to keep in check. Just don't let them take up too much space or become too dense.
You can always buy plastic floating rings made for the purpose, very cheap. They will contain them and lessen splash. Many people evolve away from them, but if you want to feel you have them contained then go ahead. I started with them but you soon get used to throwing away excess. It's better to have some than not.
Thank you both for those tips. I didn't know you could buy floating rings. If it's easy enough to just throw away the excess, I think I'll go with that method.

Do you think there is a happy medium
I don't know of a case when somebody "suffocated" his/her tank by floating plants. So, I guess we don't have to be too concerned to avoid such a situation.
Yet I think it's good to understand their working. They exchange gases solely with the air above and take up nutrients from water below. Once you realize that, you know what to expect and what to do.

You will soon find out that growing plants with their foliage out of the water is about a million times easier that growing them underwater.
Floating plants have full access to all the C02 they need at around 400ppm, the plants under water, in a tank without injected C02, will have around 5ppm.

I don't know of a case when somebody "suffocated" his/her tank by floating plants. So, I guess we don't have to be too concerned to avoid such a situation.
Yet I think it's good to understand their working. They exchange gases solely with the air above and take up nutrients from water below. Once you realize that, you know what to expect and what to do.

You will soon find out that growing plants with their foliage out of the water is about a million times easier that growing them underwater.
Floating plants have full access to all the C02 they need at around 400ppm, the plants under water, in a tank without injected C02, will have around 5ppm.
Thank you both for sharing that information. My knowledge base has certainly increased since being on this forum. Thank you to everyone who has posted on my thread 😀

Back