• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dan and Andy's crypt

On the downside I'm down to one external filter again I had to move the fluval 206 which has resulted in it leaking from the seal and I can't stop it so seal kit ordering next I may even bin the fluval for different make as I'm not keen on the seals being problematic any recommendations would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is it definitely the seal? I don't know if Fluval have changed the design from the 204 but there is a design flaw with the handles that can make it look as if it leaking. The handles have hollow areas at the sides of them which are outside of the filter casing and seal. If you get water in these when you have the filter open, they will drip for ages until empty.

Yes defiantly the seal the leak worsens when I power the filter up I did notice the hollow areas and dried these out with kitchen roll before I put it back together had it in bits several times before I gave it up as a bad job

Pipe only flared to join two pieces together under the floor not a lot of point fitting a needle valve there! also item located in Hong Kong so would take a few days to get here and it needed doing sooner rather than later

Not to steal the conversation, but seeing that item from Hong Kong: i ordered and got delevired two glas spiral diffusors (from Singapore). They end with a 6.5mm glastube, i have trouble connecting my 6 mm CO2 line with them. Would these kind of connectors fit/help?

Pipe only flared to join two pieces together under the floor not a lot of point fitting a needle valve there! also item located in Hong Kong so would take a few days to get here and it needed doing sooner rather than later
Happy hunting

Not to steal the conversation, but seeing that item from Hong Kong: i ordered and got delevired two glas spiral diffusors (from Singapore). They end with a 6.5mm glastube, i have trouble connecting my 6 mm CO2 line with them. Would these kind of connectors fit/help?

8mm to 6mm Push fit Pneumatic air line reducer | eBay

that would with a short bit of 8mm co2 pipe

Hi all,
At risk of upsetting sponsors for the money you pay fluval filters are pants. dodgy seals, cheap plastic casings and taps and primers that feel like there gonna snap every time you use them. get an eheim. in the mean time grease the seals when you put it back together
Words of wisdom, all the cheap new filters I started with a long gone, but I've still got all the "Eheim Classics" that I bought second hand, although I did have an Ecco (also second hand) expire. Same with power-heads and pumps, all the Maxi/Micro-jets I've ever bought still run, every-thing else has bitten the dust (although I've never bought an Eheim power-head or pump).

cheers Darrel

I have an all ponds solution 1400+ its pretty nice only problem is needing to turn it off cause it starts taking in air during larger water changes, I'm prolly missing a trick though :] other than that its a pretty nice one, 2nd hand, and pretty much silent!
But I aint used anything else so nothing to compare it to :D

all looking good btw from your last picture, hows the moss? :D

The flame moss has grown slightly the Christmas moss has browned in places but still has some green to most of it hoping the reduced light and co2 might help I don't think I helped the situation by dabbing the moss on with superglue I hoped that it would grow from where I had stuck it but with hindsight just tying it would have been better also should have put moss on the larger piece of bogwood before final fit in the tank as its tricky to tie on inside the tank live and learn first attempt so reasonably happy and the fish now have a much prettier environment to swim around in added 10 neons today just to colour it up a little and give the tank a little more activity just completed a 25 percent water change and resealed the fluval 206 £24.95 for a seal kit of eBay Spen bearings in Keighley fitted me up with a new identical o ring for £2.50 have just ordered a pair of surface skimmers as both tanks are getting a film on top of the water changing water rids it but its back in a few hours so that's the next piece of kit to go into the tanks when they arrive pleased to see both tanks are receiving co2 as I wanted after the overnight shutdown via a glass diffuser in the moss tank and by big clowns modified power head and my home made acrylic spray bar in the 180 so fingers crossed ive got some creases ironed out see how we are in a few more days

Just a thought - I'm planning on setting up my tank with soil soon, did you notice the john innes letting off much ammonia? I guess everything was quite mature for you already so the fish are safe? :]

To be honest we never tested for ammonia but we used mature filter and there is a lot of plants there so I don't think ammonia will be a problem. The only problem you will have with JI3 is the ground lime in it adds to the water hardness but we keep that in check with regular water changes and the fish seem happy enough.

Andy

As with the 180 not a lot been happening due to work being busy have managed to add a surface skimmer which has cured the persistent film I kept getting and a couple of pieces of mesh 1 with spiky moss the other with Taiwan moss these are just sat in the tank hopefully they will grow sufficiently enough for me to trim them and add the clippings to the bogwood my next fixing plan is going to be very small cable ties which I will snip off once the moss has attached itself I did lose a neon yesterday but water quality etc all seem fine hopefully it was just a weak ill fish and not a sign of things too come so next plan for this tank hopefully at the weekend is purchase some more moss and replace the bits I think I've damaged with the glue the flame moss is growing well but bushing out rather the spreading along the wood as I hoped so more flame moss is going to have to go in to join up the bits already growing

Some more moss added today held on with small cable ties a little unsightly but hopefully I can cut them away once the moss has taken hold
7aju7u3e.jpg

memeqydy.jpg

Back