i may consider a cover glass although after some consideration I think the discus are going, I have a blue diamond that isn't doing too well so I'll see how he gets on, if he doesn't make it then the pigeon blood will deffinatly have to go but even if I can get the blue back to fitness I think I'll trade them in. Interested anyone?
Sam, I have been running this tank for about two months using just tpn+ and its been great, I have some hair algae but thats the only thing I can say about the method although I'm not sure if these are directly related. I'll be upgrading to full EI soon.
Oh right, thought it might have been less. Guess if you are having to do the 50% W/C might as well run EI anyway! I realised that on my main tank, was doing 50% W/C to keep the algae down so figured I might as well bump up the lighting!
Hi Sam, the only reason i change 50% is coz i syphon waste water into 25L drums so if i'm doin two i may as well do three if you get me?
I may up to full EI once i have some more plants in there but i love the convenience of just dosing tropica.
Does anyone pre mix the neccessary EI ferts in a bottled solution??????
Yeh the great thing about the TMP+ is the simplicity and ease. All my EI ferts are premixed in RO water, and I add a given ml of each to get a given ppm of N and P. More accurate than dosing dry, but granted that is easier.
I use Chucks calculator to make up the stock solutions. I actually did some last night. If memory serves, I had 250ml RO water to which I added 16g of KNO3, now for my 20lt nano adding 1ml of this solution raises the N level by 2ppm. I add 10ml to give me 20ppm. Similar for PO4, but I added 7g KH2PO4 to 250ml RO water. 1ml adds 1ppm P to the 20lt nano.
I'm following standard EI dose. I always plump for 20ppm NO3 and 2ppm PO4 just because it makes dosing easier
All that might sounds complicated but its really not when you get into it.
Mate this tank is looking so dam rude!!!! You mu friend are one mean aquascaper, the don mate lol
Haha, seriously mate, it looks really nice. Once its really bedded in and those stems are out of the way its going to be in a different class.
Cant work out if the rocks are perfectly balance in color and composition ( because I put then there haha ) or whether they need swapping for a more lighter stone! They blend in really well, with the gravel being black and having the black background, perhaps to well. I think when you pull the stems out, it will be essayer to ascertain ( nice word ) whether they should be changed or not.
Not sure on the Discus, big shoal of lamp eyes or something would look cool in there.
The discus will be going, i think i have a buyer so thats good.
The rocks - iâ€™ve tried several and i canâ€™t find anything that works, iâ€™ll see how they look
withought the stems and then check out some more options.
Iâ€™ll be adding more plants tonight and getting rid of most of the indian fern so thats gonna change the look of the scape big time.
Iâ€™m gonna change the background for a real deep black, as it is it has a black to grey gradient to it. (if i can get to it)
Alls i need now is a decent photographer, fancy a trip to mine?
Well it's been a while since my last post so heres an update. I've had a bit of a rescape.
I had real trouble with growing HC so i've added glosso instead. I've gave the eleocharis a mow the other day so thats looking a bit tatty and i'm waiting for some mosses to arrive so that i can re-dress my wood.
Here are some photos that i found from when we were setting it up.
Tropica Substrate, black Unipac gravel and Aquaclay
All covered in black Unipac gravel
Dressed wood is positioned
George planting some of the millions of single HC plantlets that i managed to kill.
A LONG way to go........
STILL a LONG way to go........
Done for the minute. The last photo taken at 12.30am after some serious drinking LOL
Updated photos with the new "path"
Thanks must go to Graeme for his help with this, it was all done over the phone in one evening with emails flying all over the place.