Detrius buildup in a tank

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by Aeropars, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Hi Guys,

I've just uprooted all my plants to give the tank an overhaul and i was disturbed to find masses of fish poo and detrius amongst the bases of my stems behind my wood ect.

How do you guys stop this buildup? I have been having ongoing green spot and/or green dust algae and this cant have been helping.

Any help apreciated.

2. rawr

rawr Member

Circulation ;)

3. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Blimey, thats got to be some serious circulation then?

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Thats why we recommend minimum filtration to be rated at 10X on a planted tank, some users have 20X and at one time I had 32X on my tank lol

5. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Well I will be adding a new filter in march so hopefully this will sort the issue out. That should give me closer to 17x the tank volume.

6. Jase

Jase Member

Yep, I have 21x turnover in my 125l

7. aldo_01

aldo_01 Newly Registered

I've got the same problem, mine is 12x turnover but i still have problems with detritus. Don't really want to go any larger as dont have space so i just make sure and pick up as much as possible each water change.

8. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Don't really need more filtration, you can just get a pump for circulation ;)

9. rawr

rawr Member

As others have suggested, aim for at least 10x turnover as far as filtration is concerned but the more the merrier really - no need for over about 20x though, especially in smaller tanks. In bigger tanks it might be more of a problem so obviously use more flow from two or more filters.

Also, sometimes it's not how much flow you have but rather how it's distributed around the water column. Take that into consideration too - there should be little to no dead spots.