• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY ADA stand, which paint??

Re: DIY ADA stand, which paint??

Crikey AWB !!! I reckon I'm taking mine to a paint shop, hehehe.

A paint shop would use either 2K paint (2 component) which not a lot do these days due to EU emissions but is still available from paint suppliers, the second component is the hardener so when its dry its egg shell dry and doesn't easily mark. The down side of these are the contain isocyanates which is a derivative of cyanide. NOT to be sprayed without air fed masks and some form of extraction or the newer water based paints which I'm not too familiar with as I've been out the trade for a fair few years but would be very expensive I guess.

I have been looking at doing a bit of spraying again, I have my own business doing suspended ceilings, partitioning and plastering for the last fifteen years but I have space in my workshop currently being habited by my old golf vr6 highline which has been sat there for about 3 years :rolleyes: I'm thinking of using my old spraying equipment to do up this car and get it out and look at doing a few light cosmetic damage or restorations just as a bit of a sideline and keep my hand in. I did enjoy it but the money wasn't in it when I did it anyway, also plenty of health risks (see my previous comment on 2K) :D

Speaking to a few of my old panel beating friends some of the aerosols you can get now are supposed to be really good used in automotive factors. They have nozzles you can adjust to get a better fan pattern so you don't get streaking or an orange peal effect but never really tried them. The beauty of this is you can look at the colour chips they match with cars by getting the colour codes and they will mix the aerosol to your chosen colour.

On a side note probably worth mentioning if you go down the route of a base colour topped with clear lacquer you would have to get the clear over pretty much as soon as it is touch dry so the lacquer solvents will eat into the base and key. If you leave it too long between the two the base colour would need keyed with a grey scotch brite pad which runs the risk of seeing the scratches under the lacquer which no amount of flatting or polishing will take out.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
.... isocyanates which is a derivative of cyanide.
Not quite, a very common confusion.

Inorganic cyanides eg sodium cyanide are human toxic (as we all know), however an organic cyanides, called isocyanides, generally is not so human toxic and are quite commonly encountered in nature as objectionably smelly substances eg in creosote, rotting things etc

Isocyanates are similar to isocyanides but generally more toxic.

Either way air fed masks and extraction is necessary.

I stand corrected :thumbup: All I needed to know at the time was it wasn't nice stuff. A lot of the time I was in contact with this stuff either directly of third party, from what I could make out it can also be absorbed through skin pores. H&S wasn't what it was then as it is now and very few body shops would provide the correct equipment. The compressor feeding the mask was often situated in the body shop instead of isolated in a clean environment which defeated the purpose of air fed masks. The clear plastic rip strips which were used to cover the masks were not always available and because you couldn't see because of the over spray I would often resort to using a plain charcoal filter mask which didn't cover the whole face.
The overspray was filtered through floss and water filter which often never got cleaned due to costs and ejected it straight out into the atmosphere. I guess that is why the industry has now moved on to water based products although I hear that the clear lacquers are still a 2K product it is only the base coats that are water based. Most modern vehicles today even if not a metallic finish are done with a base coat covered in a clear. It prevent UV rays oxidising the paint and making it fade as anybody with an old red or white car can testify to after polishing the life out of it. :D

I guess it's too late to say these folks do really nice plain grey doors in high gloss ... :?

http://www.howdens.com/

They do end panels and doors in a variety of sizes so you could make up a cabinet to your own spec within reason.

Just thought I'd add to that that anyone considering using automotive aerosols that I wouldn't have thought that isocyanates would be present in them but a well ventilated room with charcoal mask would be a minimum. The paper masks just don't fit the bill as the aerosols atomise the paint and the particles too small to make paper masks effective.

I guess it's too late to say these folks do really nice plain grey doors in high gloss ... :?

You just got in before me :) I was just going to say that, howdens carcasses for kitchen units can now also be got in colours they just used to be white which meant buying extra panels for the sides of whatever usually wood finish you wanted unless you just want to use the doors on your own frame. The units would need strengthening I would guess for the weight of the tank but nothing a 2x2" frame wouldn't sort out inside the cabinet.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
....All I needed to know at the time was it wasn't nice stuff...
I just find it all fascinating that inorganic cyanide with the extremely toxic CN group (which I think stops energy production in cells mitochondria) is so toxic but when paired up with an organic molecules is no longer toxic.

I found this http://www.osh.govt.nz/order/catalogue/ ... inters.pdf I don't like the sensitised part :thumbdown: would probably at the time explain when people came to me saying they didn't know how I could work in there but I couldn't even smell it any more. Just shows H&S does have a place! None of this information was made available to me at the time. Makes me wonder why such a dangerous chemical was even used at all.

@ Aqua I have seen that vid before somewhere. Another option I have also considered if looking for a new cabinet would be just to get a nice cabinet from the likes of Argos, strengthen it up then get the tank made to fit it. These also custom build high gloss cabinets for fish tanks http://www.valleyaquariums.co.uk/index-3.html not sure what sort of money they would be looking for but no harm getting a quote. After buying all the bits it maybe worth while just getting one made. Unless your a serious DIYer I reckon the whole thing would be quite a difficult task and the last thing you want is a load of time and money and end up with something that looks rubbish. Also http://www.coralcabinets.co.uk/highglosstanksan.html

It really depends how handy you are and what tools you have to hand. Unless I could make a serious saving, or wanted something special I don't think I'd bother. Having said that I did make my last cabinet!

Looking at the Howdens catalogue the "Glendeven Flint Grey" looks good if the parts are not too expensive.

this topics gone rather heavy on more professional painting! i ended up giving my cabinet a few layers of primer/undercoat and finished off with some grey satin plastikote spraypaint. finish isnt perfect but good enough considering my aim was to save money. Seeing as i used mdf (error i know) i was thinking about trying to use something to seal it now its painted, any suggestions?

Back