• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

diy cabinet finish options

Might have a look at some different finishes, so exactly Wat did you do when used rollers ? Obviously got the Mdf cut then exactly what process do you do of you don't mind ?

Ps sorry for overtaking thread just looking into building cabinet and have same questions

Thanks Dean

Obviously got the Mdf cut then exactly what process do you do of you don't mind ?

1. Get MDF cut.
2. Assemble into your cupboard, cut holes, bolt together, fill hole, repair any damage etc.
3. Use roller to prime with MDF primer (or can use very diluted white emulsion paint), but MDF primer is designed to do the job and does a better job than dilute emulsion.
4. Use rollers like these B&Q Mini Roller Gloss Sleeve Refills, Pack of 10, 0000003765135
5. Throw away roller and tray after use.
6. Sand with extremely fine sand/flour paper.
7. Second primer coat and/or filling might be required.
8. I rollered on thinned emulsion paint. (maybe adding 10-20% water).
9. Let dry & sand with extremely fine sand/flour paper.
10. Second or third coat will/may be needed.
11. Let dry & sand with extremely fine sand/flour paper.
12. Roller on one or two coats of varnish.

I have rollered on gloss paint before, but get a better finish with method above as you can sand the emulsion extremely flat.

Just to highlight how expensive 'cans of paint' are. We have a van that comes round out end and trades in everything paint related.

For a morells 500ml can of 90% gloss varnish, he said about £14. He advised me to go with the 5 LITRE tin that you spray yourself, for a measly £20. Exactly the same stuff.

So I got 8 times as much, for £6 more. You pay for the gas in them cans... Although I've used some of the rustoleum sparkle paint on the inside of my cabinet :shh:

Aww, sparkle paint? Were you all sparkly afterward?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Aww, sparkle paint? Were you all sparkly afterward?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ha! Nope! I'm pretty good. :rolleyes:

Edit: thought the glitter In paint would reflect light around inside the cabinet a bit more. Not at all because i love all things sparkly... Honest!

Edit: thought the glitter In paint would reflect light around inside the cabinet a bit more
I had been thinking of metalic lime green or metalic something and now you have given me a valid excuse to do it. I'll have to have a look at sparkly paint...oh and an ikea cupboard light too.

Lindy, sorry for the late reply about corners with vinyl. It's not easy to put into words how to do it and make it look good. All I would say is to get a roll of Fablon and try it for yourself on an off cut of MDF. Sorry I can't be of more help.

As for painting the inside etc, I'm sure it was PariahRob who originally sprayed the inside of his cabinet Ford Focus ST Orange before changing his mind and redoing it boring Grey. Personally I thought it looked cool being all loud and proud, Lime Green is a winner for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back