• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Does Alkaline Water Favour Cyanobacteria (aka BGA)?

jaypeecee

Hi Everyone,

Some of you will know that I have taken an active interest in Cyanobacteria (aka BGA). The reason for this is simple - I have had several infestations of this unwelcome guest in my tanks over the years. So, I tend to avidly read any new research that I find on what I refer to as the 'Blue-Green Menace'. It was therefore with some curiosity that I discovered the following scientific research:

Having read what I could understand of the above paper, it seems to me that Cyanobacteria may prefer to inhabit alkaline water. And, since my tanks inevitably tend to have water in the pH region from 7.0 to 8.0, this has piqued my interest. Am I barking up the wrong tree or is there something of relevance here?

NOTE: To keep things simple, the first paragraph of the Discussion section was the important bit for me!

Any feedback welcome!

JPC

Last edited:

hypnogogia

Interesting question. I've only ever had BGA once, and that was years ago when I used exclusively tap water and no CO2. My water then was alkaline. my most recent tanks have always used rainwater cut with some tap and CO2, so tend to be below 7ph. Never had BGA again. This could of course be pure coincidence.