Does the amount of liquid affect Drop Checker results?

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by aaronnorth, 29 Aug 2008.

1. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Hi all,

if you filled the drop checker ball full, will it take longer for the solution to change colour?

I just saw gareths tank which had a tiny amount of solution in the ball part and it got me thinking.

Thanks.

2. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

From what I read everywhere is that it should be 10ml of liquid and three drops of the solution!

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Never seen that before. I just add 3 drops of indicator, then fill it up as much as i can

4. JamesC

JamesC Member

I would think that the more solution you had the longer it would take to reach equilibrium because of the extra CO2 that would have to be gained or lost. Also if the solution is kept in a ball type drop checker and you fill it to the top then the surafce area is going to be greatly reduced and could make it take longer to change colour.

I like to fill mine about 2/3 full so having plenty of surface area and also providing a good quantity to see the colour properly. Add 3 drops indicator as well.

James

5. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Going along with what James says I always half fill the bulb on my DC so that it has the greatest surface area in the bulb. In my JBL Permanent CO2 kit I fill it, per instructions, to the top of the air gap (4ml I think).

As to the indicator solution; within reason, you can just add enough drops to get a strong enough colour to read.

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

thanks, i will start filling it half way

7. Superman

Superman Member

On the ball type drop checker, how do you get the stuff in there?

I had loads of wiggling to do before all the solution got into the ball.

8. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I use a plastic pipette. You can push the end into the bulb. Otherwise simply trickle the water on the side of the neck so it runs into the bulb while letting the air out. With a bit of tilting the water goes in fine.

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i do what ed says.

add 3 drops of indicator. with a pippette, squeeze a small amount of 4dkh water in while tilting it the put any extra in if needed by putting the nozzle rigght in the ball part.