• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Fe EDDHA

Victor

Hi, guys! I begin to dose Fe EDDHA in my tank few days ago. But it makes my water becomes reddish. I've dosed only 0,3 ppm of iron. What I need to do to avoid the water clouding?

Why dosing separate Fe ? Does not your micronutrients contain enough Fe ? It is very rare for plants to suffer lack of Fe, especially if dosing micro as well ?

After a bit of reading it seems that Fe EDDHA can turn the water reddish. Also, it could be an indication you may already have too much iron in the water.
As Ian_m says, maybe you don't need the extra iron. If plants are lacking iron, it's easy to see, new leaves grow paler, show chlorosis but doesn't affect old leaves.

Here is a good article on Fe EDDHA

http://edepot.wur.nl/155619

Also, it could be an indication you may already have too much iron in the water.
So the tendency is a decrease of cloudy water over time because the plants will absorb the remaining iron?
Why dosing separate Fe ? Does not your micronutrients contain enough Fe ? It is very rare for plants to suffer lack of Fe, especially if dosing micro as well ?
Because I bought two separate packages, one containing only iron and another containing micronutrients. Do you think 0,1 ppm of iron per week is enough to plants? Thank you.

So the tendency is a decrease of cloudy water over time because the plants will absorb the remaining iron?

Not really sure about this to be honest but I don't think so.
Generally because iron doesn't last long as in being available to the plants and reacts with other stuff easily you best bet is to dose at least 3 times a week, depending on the amount/type of plants and there demands but it could be more than 0.1ppm but rather 5-6 times this amount a week, something like 0.2ppm 3 times a week maybe but someone else may have a better idea.
Iron deficiency is easy to determine if you have a lack of it. Plants will grow yellow/pale new leaves.

Fe EDDHA seems to tint the water red at about about 0.1ppm for me. I just use a small amount (0.05ppm) of it mixed into my trace mix so that I don't get this red tint. I don't have an iron deficiency and I don't think Fe EDDHA is needed, but it was cheap at a local garden centre so thought I'd experiment.

Back