• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch 110ltr

So after much much much debate over cool green plants I have gone with @Hufsa suggestion of schismatoglottis prietoi.

Its rounder leaves are exactly what I needed for the scape without getting some thing too large.

There is another plant to be added currently unsure on it as its a bit similar leaf and colour wise so I'll hold off saying till I've finished the planting. 😊😊

So I've had to hack the aromatica back as its health was deteriorating, but here is the scape so far. Alot of grow in time still needed but the composition has improved I feel with the adaptions.

Currently I'm working on making the scape gain a bit more of a natural feel. Till now I felt it was very architectural as a scape and that fit the dutch style. After much more review of the style I recognise that scapes need to meet that subtle blend between natural and controlled to be truly on point.

Current efforts are now focused on how to make the forground work so that it maintains the Dutch distancing between plants whilst ensuring that it doesn't feel too unnatural whilst enhancing the distance.

Scape so far excuse some plant health as a trim was completed yesterday:-

IMG_20221025_080430.jpg

I will post more shots in next post 😊

So a frustrating update my new co2 cylinder lasted... 3 days. The converter cut through an o ring in the valve so it's slow leaked and is now empty. So ordered a replacement o ring from columbo 🤞 this sorts all and prevents another expensive problem.

In other news I have got my hands on a nice camera to show true colours and to give a better view of the scape. See photos in next post 😊

So I've let the tank do its thing for 2 weeks and now it's time to get it back to some order. I'm going to do the big trim later today and fixing of the spacings. Thought it be fun to do a before and after shot, as I rarely let things run with out trimming for over a week. So here is the tank currently:-
IMG_20221105_091415.jpg

IMG_20221105_091431.jpg

The rotala h'ra has really taken off over this time and although I some how love its dominance, this beast needs to be tamed. 😂

Fresh trim photos coming later today 😊

Happy water change and maintenance day all!! 🙌

So after much trimming!!

Here is the scape:-
IMG_20221105_152325.jpg

IMG_20221105_152302.jpg

As you can see there has been some removal and a new shaping of the rotala. I'm hoping it will grow in to not have as much of a distinct shape and it will have more of a smooth ripple to it.

I am edging ever closer to having the correct number of plants. Though I'm sure I will find a way to change that as it progresses 😜

Will update as things progress 😊

So it would turn out aquascaping does not come without its elements of risk....

My new co2 cylinder was not fitted with the safety o ring so when I attached my regulator the darn thing went off like a fire extinguisher and I had to throw it in the garden!!!

IMG_20221105_163914.jpg

IMG_20221105_164209.jpg

Here is a picture of my original cylinder with safety ring...

IMG_20221105_164223.jpg

So those using colombo co2 products beware check your cylinder before use; because I can tell you when the thing is going off in your front living room it's not much fun lol.

So I'm never one to leave things be if there is an issue and given the co2 deaster of yesterday I felt probably best to bite the bullet and sort out a safer longer term option.

At least that is what I'm telling myself and my better half. So I have bought a jbl 500 with regulator.

IMG_20221106_123451.jpg

I've fitted it with an extra long hose so it hides nicely under the main unit. (In truth this makes the whole setup look much nicer)

IMG_20221106_132525.jpg

The observant of you will notice there has been an addition to the tank. I always wanted to put a narrow leaf fern in the scape somewhere as I just think the detail they bring is awesome.

So I have added a narrow leaf trident fern to the rear. It will need to be protected from the stems particularly the aromatica that will come from the right. Spacing atm appear tight but it actually it is spaced 2 fingers distance from all so should keep it definition as the scape grows in.

There will be the usual "for the beauty" pics in the next post. Though will need to get the better camera on it soon to give you all a proper look.

So.......
Was chatting with the better half about the scape and about Bart Lauren's work.

His scapes have been a bit of a fascination of mine of late as his use of space makes his compositions look fantastic. He follows pritty strict Dutch rules and uses classic plants.

Now given the tank has been looking great of late I have been frustrated with the composition. I was happy with the left side minus the trident fern experiment, but the right always plagued me. The lobelia cardinalis was 2 years old and looked tired the transition from front to back seemed harsh and compact. Nothing was really giving it that feel of controlled natural elegance.

So after discussions I have attempted some thing new, Bart Lauren's inspired as my wife wanted a sand substrate and we'll I couldn't resist.

Now not all new things are good and to be honest at the moment the scape feels a little odd. In fact I'm not all convinced by any of my decisions so far as it feels alien to be working in this way.

Additionally with nothing being grown in or trimmed to my usual level it just is well under whelming.

I have no doubt in time I will be hard at work changing things around adding different plants to ballance things and removing the darn soil from the top layer. For now I'm going to let things settle as I'm scaped out for the day but photos are on the next post for an update.

Time for an update so after a week of fiddling I think I've been able to bring together a composition that will grow in nicely. Alot of rule breaking aside it should look nice as the scape progresses. Since adding one plant I realise it is not what I thought it was (lfs I went to regularly miss labels or staff give wrong name) if any one could help me out with what it is, it would be much appreciated. Its the plant in the final photo my best guess is ludwigia repens rubin. Anyways here is the new arrangement:-

IMG_20221202_085853.jpg

IMG_20221202_085859.jpg

IMG_20221202_085906.jpg

IMG_20221202_090635.jpg

So there has been alot of mistakes since my last post. All avoidable but as we all know this hobby is never short of issues to over come. Here are some shots of where we are at, with new plants starting to grow in well. The mystery plant was ludwigia marilia so colour balance of tank is a little off. I may still remove/replace some of the new choices. As I have a couple of tanks needing and I feel some are ruining the depth.

IMG_20221217_083116.jpg

IMG_20221217_083132.jpg

IMG_20221217_083123.jpg

Please excuse the untidy nature at the moment I haven't found time to do a full tidy of the scape including using the earth magnets to remove loose soil.

Back