• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

fandango said:
One question. Did you say you cull the shrimps in your tank to keep the colours from degrading? If you do how do you manage that in such a vast tank with so many plants?

Thank you.

A small round shrimp net and I just pick them off every so often without uporooting plants. I never get all of them, but I do get most. Many end up in the overflow also, so I thin the lesser grades and keep the high grades from that, I'd say 2x a week, about 50 or so go over into the prefilter.

foxfish said:
LOL those shrimps are amazing how they find there way into the overflow & into the sump, I occasionally get a squirt of pink mist when one makes it all the way to the pump!

They are impossible to get rid of them if you ever wish to remove them, it requires a 100% tank break down and filter disinfection.

For this reason, I have little mercy removing anything not a high grade
656217e2.jpg

I feed lower grades to fish, I kill the shrimp and then feed. Mid grades get sold and stored in another tank in the garage. Always someone wanting 50 or so, I no longer sell smaller lots, the production is too great. If the local buyers cull well, they can end up with a few high grades, then kill the rest........

But do do this well, you need bare bottom tanks and small tanks(lots).

You don't really need to waste time on killing them just add some breeding pairs of dwarf cichlids and they'll take care of them in no time. :)
It's nice to make some extra $$$ with your tanks used to do it also some time ago and was very rewarding.
There's a plant I've wanted to see, bubbless has it and wondered if you had it too, name is cryptocoryne sp. purple.
Last photo looks fantastic with the blue tint btw :)

Cheers,
Mihai

I've tried dwarf cichlids, loaches etc, nothing gets them all and they can hide much easier than fish can, they end up in the filters, and sump etc.

You cannot kill that which cannot die:)

Seriously, I used hard core insecticides for plant pest and I still had 3-4 make it alive after 4x the suggest treatment(done in succession for 1 week, then another treatment and another.

I could get rid of them in the tank perhaps with some really smaller hungry species, but not in the filte,r but I can drain the filter and peroxide it etc........

It's tough.

But folks buy them..and they do provide some use.

A request: ideas for a good schooling fish that will not leap to their deaths in an open top, or at least not many of them, do not eat shrimp, does not rip up plants.

green neons shoal very well and are slightly understated, maybe a touch small for what you are looking for though. But get enough of them... actually they might nibble the softer plants.

Don't really like shoaling fish, they don't provide me any entertainment, I was tempted to recommend you pseudomugil sp. if you want to get rid of shrimps, they are good hunters. :)

Boraras brigittae might be a nice choice, though tiny if kept in large numbers I think they will look amazing in your tank.

h. rodwayi perhaps? have seen them in a friends tank lately, about 400 of them :woot:

but like with many characids, sometimes they bite off leaves of delicate plants. my p. simulans are supplementing fibre from hemianthus micranthemoides :lol:

pseudomugil sp.: I have lost almost all of them in an open tank. :(

btw. your tank looks stunning!!!

Boraras brigittae are possible, Rummy noses are also, Neons or anything close: I have another tank full of Cardinals.
Blue eyes are also considered.

I like Botia sidthimunki so a SEA fish will do well, or African theme also since I have a double trunk Elephant nose and some gold nugget plecos which have been in the tank for about 9 months now.

George Farmer said:
plantbrain said:
A request: ideas for a good schooling fish that will not leap to their deaths in an open top, or at least not many of them, do not eat shrimp, does not rip up plants.
Arnoldichthys spilopterus - African Red-eyed Tetra

They are great fish, but a little larger than I want.

I'm leaning towards Rummies, or Red Phantoms: Megalamphodus sweglesi
I had red phantoms before, they are like Serpae but much less vicious and smaller, more docile.

plantbrain said:
Boraras brigittae are possible, Rummy noses are also, Neons or anything close: I have another tank full of Cardinals.
Blue eyes are also considered.

I like Botia sidthimunki so a SEA fish will do well, or African theme also since I have a double trunk Elephant nose and some gold nugget plecos which have been in the tank for about 9 months now.

Tom how do you find the sidthimunkis get on with shrimp. Do you have so many shrimp that it does not matter or do they not get at them anyway ?

George Farmer said:
I think Rummynose over Red Phantom. You already have lots of red in the aquascape.

Yes, and the nice metallic silvery flash they give off is a nice attraction.

I'm still very much undecided and will stop at wholesaler tomorrow and look, but...........not buy. Why? Because I'm a smart enough to not do impulse buy unless I've had a fair amount of time to ponder first. Even so, it is no guarantee that once they are in the tank, that they are suitable, what I'd thought, some fish I know well, but others...less so.

Seeing them at the Wholesalers in a bare tank is one thing, in a planted tank, it quite another.

plantbrain said:
George Farmer said:
I think Rummynose over Red Phantom. You already have lots of red in the aquascape.

Yes, and the nice metallic silvery flash they give off is a nice attraction.

I'm still very much undecided and will stop at wholesaler tomorrow and look, but...........not buy. Why? Because I'm a smart enough to not do impulse buy unless I've had a fair amount of time to ponder first. Even so, it is no guarantee that once they are in the tank, that they are suitable, what I'd thought, some fish I know well, but others...less so.

Seeing them at the Wholesalers in a bare tank is one thing, in a planted tank, it quite another.
Wise words. Fish selection is one of my favourite aspects to aquascaping. I still get it wrong though. The latest error was blue tetras (Boehlkea fredcochui) in my shallow tank. Nice colour but far too active for my taste.

I have to agree with you George on this.
Selecting fish it something you sort have to just try and hope/pray etc............

If not, then you have to catch them which in the 120 gal, is a PITA.

Of 5 tanks, I only really have 1 that's stocked accordingly. Sad, I know.......

Have only kept them in closed top tank's but Threadfin rainbows in enough number's, make a pretty display in my view, with the antic's of the males attempting to entice females.
believe they would pose no threat to shrimps ,plant's.

Back