• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Dutch something or the other" 120 Gal

Very nice recovery and one can already notice that leafs are getting somehow smaller on that Glosso.

I really like the color of your Rotala macrandra, looks like it is growing very healthy. How would you rate the difficulty of growing this plant, as I get contradictory opinions about it. I might want to replace Alternanthera Reineckii as it is getting too big for my tank http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14129&start=30 and macrandra looks like a good "red accent" replacement for it.

schraptor said:
Very nice recovery and one can already notice that leafs are getting somehow smaller on that Glosso.

I really like the color of your Rotala macrandra, looks like it is growing very healthy. How would you rate the difficulty of growing this plant, as I get contradictory opinions about it. I might want to replace Alternanthera Reineckii as it is getting too big for my tank http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14129&start=30 and macrandra looks like a good "red accent" replacement for it.

Well, it use to be a very standard plant to grow for plant hobbyist.
A classic red weed.

I've seen some truly neglected aquariums overloaded with discus produce some nice stands, also, low light tanks with some potting soil and not much else. I think being able to grow ANY plant species together is a key element in a good gardener or horticulture.

A reineckii is a nice plant...........but I like other species for their characters often more so........so I rarely use it. It is easier than R macrandra I'd say.......but a different shade of red for sure. Both can be topped and allowed to resprout. I think R macrandra is better suited as a background plant, whereas A reinecki can be used in many different locations easily.

This aquarium does not use reds as accents, they use them as the main part of the color scheme actually. Makes it a real challenge to cook up a nice feel.

Due to prodding by a local member, I bought some R macrandra from AFA, an ADA vendor in SF a few days ago to compare my R mac to theirs. Some have claimed some rather narrow parameters for N and P for good optimal color/look etc.

AFA has virtually no N, but ADA aqua soil........
I have ADA aqua soil, but rich NO3/PO4 (roughly 20ppm and 5-7ppm of PO4) and fish feedings.

The plants looked identical.

Thanks for sharing Tom.
I've browsed through my local suppliers' offer and it is not so easy to find a good source of Macrandra (relatively easy to find a 'green' one). Also looking at offered plants, none of the pictures reassembled the one seen in your post with regards to health and color.

schraptor said:
Thanks for sharing Tom.
I've browsed through my local suppliers' offer and it is not so easy to find a good source of Macrandra (relatively easy to find a 'green' one). Also looking at offered plants, none of the pictures reassembled the one seen in your post with regards to health and color.

Sorry:)

How about shrimp?

620aba6e.jpg

4weeklateraftermowing.jpg

4 weeks later, the rug is full and dense, roughly 3cm deep and packed tight and low.

So mowing the rug once a month hard works well for this tank.
Some tanks might be more, others, less.

9654116a.jpg

Some top view of the rear:
0985987a.jpg

you can see two different growth colors of R macrandra, one orange and another red.
Same plant, same tank, but different coloration.
One was trimmed recently and the other was not, I'll let you guess which is which.

Sorry for the ripples, my tank has those without the hair dryer trick.

Gloss at 35 Days post trim, a real dense mat.

bb550f22.jpg

I am NOT liking the Fissidens. I was thinking of making several round wood pieces to act like stones and round moss balls.

Another option is to spread the Erio out more in that section.
I could also add dwarf clover which I have a little bit of sitting here.

I need a better contrast leaf wise against the Erio and the UG though, whatever it is, needs to be short and not HC etc.

Shrimp attacked the Erio setaceum. I'll remove it and add it to another tank tomorrow night. R wallichii also was attacked a fair amount, but they have left it alone the last 2 weeks.
Some fine needle plants do not mind.....others do. Obviously shrimp no#, type and density matter, as well as feedings, I feed them a lot, but there are a lot of shrimp. Every pic has many, I did not wait or feed them to coax them out! There are just that many in the tank.

I think I might try the larger patch of Erios and expand the UG perhaps a bit.
Fissidens might go on a few of the wood branches.

Mermaid weed has colored up and is looking decent in the rear, Hydrothrix continues to a weed that needs trimmed often, same with P stellata.

Measured the light again and reduced the height of the fixture from 16 to 12" above the water .
60umol along the bottom.
Added all bulbs: 120 umol.

I ran 120 umol for a couple of weeks for 8 hours per day.
I ended up with a lot more glass algae whereas I had none prior. Plants grew faster, some colored up better in areas that had shaded lower light/overshadowed prior. Seem mostly a function of evenness of the lighting, rather than intensity, but intensity still plays a role beyond a threshold of good growth.
How much is hard to quantify and different bulb spectra also plays a role if not a more/large role for this. I think this much light(120umol) is asking for more work. I can keep the tank clean etc, and trim, but I'd prefer not to clean the glass much if at all.
At 60umol, I still get very nice overall growth that plenty for most any scaping project.

I guess and suspect a range might be:

Low light: 25-40umol, mid40-60umol, high: 60-120umol for the bottom of the tank. Top levels in the tank at full lighting was 250umol, or about where Troels/Ole's article in tropic set their upping limit for light and CO2.
CO2 is about 50ppm in this tank. Fish eat very aggressively as well as shrimp and so called CO2 sensitive species(some plecos and elephant noses).\

My old 90 Gal tank from 15 years ago had about this same high light PAR range using 350 Watts of metal halide about 12" above the water. Roughly 400umol at the center at the water's surface and about 60-70umol at the bottom over most of the sediment.
This is an estimate since the tank is not running any longer, but I took some measures from an old set up that uses the same Hamilton fixtures on a 90 Gal tank/same bulbs(Iwasaki 6500K).

Tom,

Your posts are always a really good reading material. Interesting observations I must say.
Do you get green spot algae on wood as well? I wonder if one can obtain such balance in the tank (light, ferts, CO2) so that these will not be covering the wood. How do you usually get rid of it? I find it very easy to scrape with a razor or something similar, but it is a lot of work proportional to amount of wood and complexity of its shape.

Gilles said:
Hi Tom, are those Sakura shrimps?

A Grade up, fire shrimp.

I really need to harvest, they have started eating and pestering some plant species with fine needles.

Amanos has their own issues, but these tend to go after finer leaves more.

schraptor said:
Tom,

Your posts are always a really good reading material. Interesting observations I must say.
Do you get green spot algae on wood as well? I wonder if one can obtain such balance in the tank (light, ferts, CO2) so that these will not be covering the wood. How do you usually get rid of it? I find it very easy to scrape with a razor or something similar, but it is a lot of work proportional to amount of wood and complexity of its shape.

There's no algae of any sort on the wood.

Too many shrimp.

This tank only has algae on the glass and even then, it's not much and only when I add more light.
I removed the Sturisoma which cleaned the glass well about 2 months ago.

If you do get algae on rock or wood, simply do a real large water change to expose the wood/rock, then take some easy carbo or Excel and put in a spray bottle. Mist on the infested regions, then refill in a few minutes.

This works with ADA's phyto git, Excel/Easy carbo, a strong salty solution of KNO3, or KH2PO4 etc......, peroxide, etc......just make sure not to get on the plants that are in the air, the submersed leaves are fine.

Algae below or near the bottom can be squirted with a syringe when the water is very still also, then a toothbrush after a few minutes to bother the algae even more.

I honestly have few issues with algae on hardscape materials.

viktorlantos said:
I really love that DOF shot Tom. The color contrast and shooting angle is really nice. Just like your plants. I do not have prob with fissidens and it gives a great contrast between the different colors.

Jellous to these colors my friend ;)

You have the skills and horticulture ability to do this.
These are not "hard to grow" red plants by any means.

Main thing is making them look good and contrast well without overwhelming things.
Tank looks fun and nice from above, but I have high current, so it's not ideal crystal clear like viewing.........but still quite nice.

Update , sorry for outside dirty glass/poor depth of field :) I plan some new plant species to be added this week and removed lot of downoi due to good sale price offer it.
So some new changes are on the way.

cd1291c3.jpg

c96524c2.jpg

I'll also be adding the new ATI dimmer fixture on this tank, so I think I'll end up with about 30-40% more light for the midday burst and then about 20% less energy overall. So very effective lighting.

I also bought a dozen different bulbs to play with beside the Gieseman which are mostly in this pic.

Ge Star coat
ATI blue specials,
ATI purples
Coralife colormax
Aqualife red
Aqualife purple
A few others..........

I've been threatening to bring out a flash to get some serious lighting for the depth of field and color.

Back