• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Aquastyle 35 - Rebooted

Re: Eheim Aquastyle 35

Here it is in situ, I reckon it's too big really. I think it will soak up too much of the lighting for the plants?

IMGP1488.jpg

If it had twin fluorescents over the tank that might be different.

Very funny :lol:

If I do use this lump of wood (when it sinks :? ) given the lower light levels and the fact that I like Mosses and Anubias which substrate would you use?
I have Flora Base, Manado,Tesco CL and Horticultural Sand. Bear in mind I'd also like a few shrimp once the tank has cycled.
Bit concerned about Algae growth if I use the FB although it would probably be better for the shrimp?

Eheim Aquastyle 35

Depends on the shrimp?
If your thinking bee shrimp I'd make an investment of £20 in some ebi gold from the freshwatershrimp.co.uk site.

I havent used the others so couldnt comment, if you only want red cherries, then I would say any of them!

Aqua sobriquet said:
Here it is in situ, I reckon it's too big really. I think it will soak up too much of the lighting for the plants?

Your going to get plants in there as well! :lol: Its a nice piece of wood but i would think too big for this tank, i'd wait til you get your second one ;)

easerthegeezer said:
Aqua sobriquet said:

Your going to get plants in there as well! :lol: Its a nice piece of wood but i would think too big for this tank, i'd wait til you get your second one ;)

+1 to that ... why try and make such a great piece of wood work in this tank, when im sure in a future tank it will become an awsome focul point (and not a potential problem)

Yes, you're right guys. Just tried it again and it really puts too much of the tank in the shade :( so it's going into storage for the next tank!

I've got the first piece of wood sitting in some boiling water at the moment which I'll maybe bend into shape with a clamp till I like it ... :lol:

Not too pleased with the way things are going at the moment. I have been collecting plants for the new Nano and keeping them in a variety of large glass containers on the window sill, I still have some stuff left in the vase on the right. Some were doing ok but others have not fared so well so I've been rushed into virtually just dumping stuff in the tank in an effort to save them. The results are none too pleasing but hopefully it will serve as a lesson in maintaining stuff short term. I really need to re-think how I want to hardscape the Nano and plan it properly!

IMGP1500.jpg

I'm also considering other options for heating and filtration to give a cleaner look...

I should say that the quality of the mosses I've got from ukaps members has been top notch and better than a couple I've bought from other suppliers. Thanks very much guys!

Hi mate,
i reckon that looks quite nice actually and i like the open fresh feel of it. A few brown crypts for contrast (eg wendtti brown or tropica varieties) around the wood base to the right rear will help fill the lower half in a bit and transition the upper moss with the substrate and be suitable for the more shaded areas under the wood and moss. The hairgarss would look nice where it is and get more light, maybe starting at the central most wood upright, sweeping round to the left front corner, you can trim it on a gradient from low at the front to higher at the rear which would look nice and add depth. Your lovely anubias could then be positioned on the wood base just where the 2 uprights split from and it would creep along it towards the front and rear. The moss balls could then be placed in the central foreground area for the shrimp to graze on where you can see them best! Thats just a few ideas though, just consider your options, theres no rush now so just picture what you want and you can make it happen :thumbup:
As for a heater, why bother youll find lots of shrimp well happy with most home room temperatures. You can also get inexpensive HOB filters that remove hardware from the tank if your worried about that.
I think its got bags of potential, i love the moss on the wood, and the wood doesnt look overbearing.
Cheerio,
Ady.

I reckon thats a damn fine start to be honest ! The hairgrass in the pot looks great too and will add a great texture. Have you considered running any kind of external filtration or is the light reliant upon the filter for power ? Just thinking you could get the filter out and the heater out if you went down that route. :)

The light fitting seems to be part of the filter mount but I have all the tools I need to hand to make a new fitting if I need to. Interestingly Eheim do sell the light separately, at least in Germany.

Aqua sobriquet said:
The light fitting seems to be part of the filter mount but I have all the tools I need to hand to make a new fitting if I need to. Interestingly Eheim do sell the light separately, at least in Germany.

Yes I have seen it advertised (somewhat expensively compared to the overall cost of the aquastyle i thought). I did actually consider buying one but was fortunate to buy a TMC mini 500 and bracket :)

Eheim Aquastyle 35

TMC LEDs look fantastic, i love the ingenuity of the mms rail.

Making them truly versatile. The grobeam I have stunned me at how bright and crisp white the colour of the light was (6500k), compared to the very yellow hue my ADA solar M gives off.

As for growth rates, im yet to see!
Will keep you all updated with a new journal.

Was gonna get some ADA amazonia powder & some ryuoh stone this weekend, but just bought some rayban polaroid aviators instead :(

Whitey89 said:
TMC LEDs look fantastic, i love the ingenuity of the mms rail.

Making them truly versatile. The grobeam I have stunned me at how bright and crisp white the colour of the light was (6500k), compared to the very yellow hue my ADA solar M gives off.

As for growth rates, im yet to see!
Will keep you all updated with a new journal.

Was gonna get some ADA amazonia powder & some ryuoh stone this weekend, but just bought some rayban polaroid aviators instead :(

Cool :) The one I am getting is the same one that comes with the TMC 30L Marine Nano. I think it retails at over £100 with the bracket. I got as good a deal with this as you got with your Ebi ;) :thumbup:

Well, things went from bad to worse with a really bad outbreak of planaria and other nasty looking stuff so I decided to strip the tank down and plan it properly. I'm struggling to come up with a design I like with the hardscaping I have but I did manage to get yet another piece of wood that shows promise. I also ordered a Tetra EX 400 to replace the Eheim internal so as predicted I've had to make a light fitting for the Eheim LED. Procrastinated all week on what to make then just machined what I had in the garage until it developed into something suitable. Quite pleased with how it turned out.

IMGP1585.jpg

I can put it where I want it so working on the tank will be much easier in future.

Now I just need to sort out the hardscaping ... :?

I'll post a pic of the new piece of wood when I get a minute.

You have made that light fitting really well mate :thumbup: I am very impressed. May I make a couple of suggestions to consider ?

1) Have the cable coming out from the bottom ?
2) Make a stainless steel plate which is the dimension of the tank but wider, and attach the light unit to it in a similar way to the ADA light units that go with the Mini M's ?

Just a thought, but either way what you have come up with is really great.

Looks like a quality piece of engineering, i like the way you can move it around the tank, especially on these smaller tanks, the lights are always getting in the way!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks for the comments guys. I did originally intend to have the cable coming out of the base but it has a funny custom connector on it and I also can't seem to remove the switch. I had planned to put the switch inside the tube and just turn the light on and off at the socket. I can still do this and may do so at a later date. Not sure about the base as it's small enough to place almost anywhere but still heavy enough (it's solid mild steel 25mm thick) to be fairly stable. I value the input though, it's good to hear others ideas.

Trying some volcanic rock I bought a while ago.

IMGP1630.jpg

IMGP1629.jpg

IMGP1632.jpg

Obviously will be higher up once the substrate is in. I'm wondering whether to chip some off the large left hand piece of rock on it's upper right hand side to open things up a bit?
Thinking of something a bit lighter like Unipac Fiji as a substrate which looks nice.
Mainly mosses if I can grow them and maybe a single Anubias Nana.

What do you think guys, is the rock too much? o_O

Back