• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Electronic Filter Discussion

A

Antipofish

davem said:
You've had more filters than I've had hot dinners :lol:

I'm trying not to take this O/T but what Pro3 E do you want? I have a 2078, to try to get to the x10 turn over reccomendation, but its not as quiet as the 2075 and I'm dissapointed in the flow. I have it running at max but other than that the electronics are redundant. Wouldn't want you spend more money on something that may not be to your expectations. :)

Thanks for the comments. It is useful to know. How noisier would you say it is ? Marginally or very noticeably ? Have you measured the flow compared to what you were expecting? Why do you consider the electronics to be redundant ? I quite liked the idea of them to create variable flow and sway in the tank, and also the daytime reduced flow to minimise CO2 drive off. It was the 2078 I was considering as its only 5 quid more than the 2076 tbh. Now you have put a damper on my thoughts. Not that that is a bad thing, I definitely appreciate the input

Eheim Pro3 2075 (AS NEW, only used 2 days)

davem said:

I'm trying not to take this O/T but what Pro3 E do you want? I have a 2078, to try to get to the x10 turn over reccomendation, but its not as quiet as the 2075 and I'm dissapointed in the flow. I have it running at max but other than that the electronics are redundant. Wouldn't want you spend more money on something that may not be to your expectations. :)

Sorry to hijack, but Dave have you turned the electronic mode off and then knocked up the flow? The 2078 doesn't give out full flow in the electronic mode, it limits itself.

Re: Eheim Pro3 2075 (AS NEW, only used 2 days)

Alastair said:
davem said:

Sorry to hijack, but Dave have you turned the electronic mode off and then knocked up the flow? The 2078 doesn't give out full flow in the electronic mode, it limits itself.

Alastair, Do you know what it limits itself to ? Is the flow not always controlled electronically or is there one mode just for electronic flow control and another for electronic flow functions ? You have one of these right ? How would you say the noise levels are too please dude?

As far as noise goes my mate had a 2075 and it was silent. I'd have to put my ear to it to notice any noise. In auto mode the 2078 is fairly quiet. You can hear it but it doesn't cause a problem. In manual mode, where you can increase the flow, it does become noisier but again I wouldn't say it causes an issue, if my wife doesn't complain it must be OK :lol: You don't ahve to turn the TV up or anything like that, it just depends where your tank is.

If you want to use the electronics for what you state then fine, but I would have thought it best to get maximum flow 24/7 in a planted tank. Maybe somebody with more experience will tell you different. If they do then I might start using them. :lol:

The flow was OK with the standard spray bar, but was less than I imagined, but it won't take an eheim extension very well, the uniformity across the spray bar drops off. I eneded up having to make one with smaller holes than the std spraybar. Alastair on here swapped his 2078 for a 2080. The 2080 gave more flow than the 2078 :?

Edit: Looks like me and Alastair were posting at the same time. Yes Alastair I have incresed it in manual mode.

davem said:
As far as noise goes my mate had a 2075 and it was silent. I'd have to put my ear to it to notice any noise. In auto mode the 2078 is fairly quiet. You can hear it but it doesn't cause a problem. In manual mode, where you can increase the flow, it does become noisier but again I wouldn't say it causes an issue, if my wife doesn't complain it must be OK :lol: You don't ahve to turn the TV up or anything like that, it just depends where your tank is.
My tank is in the bedroom and I really appreciate the quietness of the 2075. Do you think the 2078/2076 will make a noticeable difference in the quietness of the bedroom ?

If you want to use the electronics for what you state then fine, but I would have thought it best to get maximum flow 24/7 in a planted tank. Maybe somebody with more experience will tell you different. If they do then I might start using them. :lol:
EHEIM specifically mention the option of different flow during the day and night as a benefit to planted aquaria. Who knows if they are right. Their theory is lower flow to minimise driving off CO2. I personally don't see the benefit of then upping the flow at night now I think about it. In fact the more I think about it the more I am wondering if the flow functions are just gimmicks. Why did you buy yours out of interest ?

The flow was OK with the standard spray bar, but was less than I imagined, but it won't take an eheim extension very well, the uniformity across the spray bar drops off. I eneded up having to make one with smaller holes than the std spraybar. Alastair on here swapped his 2078 for a 2080. The 2080 gave more flow than the 2078 :?

Hmm I didnt get a 2080 cos I thought it was proper overkill for my tank. If thats the case is a 2078 the same ? I even thought about a 2074 (which has higher flow but 30% less media capacity to my 2075 so surely thats a backward step?) or a 2076... but I cannot find proper figures for media capacity on the 2076.

Edit: Looks like me and Alastair were posting at the same time. Yes Alastair I have incresed it in manual mode.

Antipofish said:
My tank is in the bedroom and I really appreciate the quietness of the 2075. Do you think the 2078/2076 will make a noticeable difference in the quietness of the bedroom ?.

To be honest I wouldn't want this in my bedroom running at full tilt. It's a background hum, you might get used to it, in auto mode or reduced flow its probably OK. Maybe max flow during the day and reduced at night would be the answer?

Antipofish said:
EHEIM specifically mention the option of different flow during the day and night as a benefit to planted aquaria. Who knows if they are right. Their theory is lower flow to minimise driving off CO2. I personally don't see the benefit of then upping the flow at night now I think about it. In fact the more I think about it the more I am wondering if the flow functions are just gimmicks. Why did you buy yours out of interest ?

I would imagine you want the max flow during the day to distribute the CO2. I got mine 2nd hand, I was looking for something in the region of 1650lph and got this for £130 so the cost was the appeal and not the electronics.

Antipofish said:
Hmm I didnt get a 2080 cos I thought it was proper overkill for my tank. If thats the case is a 2078 the same ? I even thought about a 2074 (which has higher flow but 30% less media capacity to my 2075 so surely thats a backward step?) or a 2076... but I cannot find proper figures for media capacity on the 2076.

What size is your tank? In theory the 2080 is less flow than the 2078 but Alastair said, having used both, the 2080 produced more flow. I've seen reports that the 2074 is silent.

I'm not the most experienced person in these things so maybe somebody can give some examples of the usefulness of the electronics. I can see why they appeal, and I'm a sucker for fancy gimmick, but question the usefulness for the price.

My tank is 80x45x55, 175L. So its the flow on these that appeal as well, though now Im not so sure. May have to look at the 2074 which is still good flow but I like the silent bit... :) Have to have a think..

Your tank is simlar to mine volume wise. It's a nightmare getting the right kit. It's also a shame the 2078 head doesn't fit a 2075 cannister, I could have sent you a spare to try.

I originally got the 2080 to run along side the 2078, now the 2078 in my opinion is really quiet, and has lots of fancy gimmicks that I had the pleasure of using and they are good dont get me wrong. The stream mode is great. As dave mentioned, considering the 2078 was supposed to be 150litres an hour more, I personally got more flow from the 2080 which dissapointed Me. Especially considering the 2080 has less flow rate, a far bigger canister therefore more media to have to flow thriugh. The 2078 came with a smaller spray so in theory should have had more velocity than the 2080 but didn't. In all fairness, for what it does it's good, but I took the electronic mode off and at night when I took myself to bed I'd just drop the flow manually. I gave the filter to Westy as I purchased another 2080 to run along side my other one, and for the stream mode, my soon to arrive vortech mp10 does just that.
Go for it by all means but given your track record of filters, no doubt we'd be seeing a 2078 up for sale soon ;0). To be getting maximum flow you'd need it out of auto mode, so why go for the extra expense of the electronics only to have them turned off anyway.....

Yeah, good points Alastair. The 2078 is quiet but the 2075 is silent. Having said all this I don't have any plans to change mine, but if I needed a replacement I would choose a different route.

Alastair said:
I originally got the 2080 to run along side the 2078, now the 2078 in my opinion is really quiet, and has lots of fancy gimmicks that I had the pleasure of using and they are good dont get me wrong. The stream mode is great. As dave mentioned, considering the 2078 was supposed to be 150litres an hour more, I personally got more flow from the 2080 which dissapointed Me. Especially considering the 2080 has less flow rate, a far bigger canister therefore more media to have to flow thriugh. The 2078 came with a smaller spray so in theory should have had more velocity than the 2080 but didn't. In all fairness, for what it does it's good, but I took the electronic mode off and at night when I took myself to bed I'd just drop the flow manually. I gave the filter to Westy as I purchased another 2080 to run along side my other one, and for the stream mode, my soon to arrive vortech mp10 does just that.
Go for it by all means but given your track record of filters, no doubt we'd be seeing a 2078 up for sale soon ;0). To be getting maximum flow you'd need it out of auto mode, so why go for the extra expense of the electronics only to have them turned off anyway.....

Lol,"my track record" with filters was deliberate. I have, thus far, with little only £40 additional expense, worked my way up from an Aqua One Aquis 750 (P.O.S !!!) to an Eheim 2075. If that gives me a record, then it can only be good ;)

So, if I was to just drop the flow manually at night time but let it do its thing the rest of the time, thats no biggie to me. Did you drop the flow because it reduced night time noise ? You GAVE the filter to Westy, or SOLD it, LOL. I really don't know what to do now. :twisted:

What put you off the JBL 1501 Greenline? I looked at these before I got the 2078. At one point Zooplus were doing them for about £85.

davem said:
What put you off the JBL 1501 Greenline? I looked at these before I got the 2078. At one point Zooplus were doing them for about £85.

Nothing put me off it. Although I did like the e1500 that I ran for a while, I decided I liked Eheim more. I always will. I bought an Eheim Ecco for a little 2 footer I ran in New Zealand and it was just amazing. So quiet. I still believe they are the ultimate in quality. Although I like the Fluval g6 too

Antipofish said:
Alastair said:

Lol,"my track record" with filters was deliberate. I have, thus far, with little only £40 additional expense, worked my way up from an Aqua One Aquis 750 (P.O.S !!!) to an Eheim 2075. If that gives me a record, then it can only be good ;)

So, if I was to just drop the flow manually at night time but let it do its thing the rest of the time, thats no biggie to me. Did you drop the flow because it reduced night time noise ? You GAVE the filter to Westy, or SOLD it, LOL. I really don't know what to do now. :twisted:

Well if your going to have the filter on manual mode all the time mate id seriously not waste the extra cash. Saying that it may be a lot more powerful for you, but I've been able to compare. It still has great flow don't get me wrong and would prob seem really powerful.
I didn't give it to him lol, but he got it for far less than your selling ze 2075. Friend to friend discount.
For the extra expense you could just buy another 2075 and run it with. Super filtered water then. Two are being sold on here

Alastair said:
Antipofish said:
Alastair said:

Well if your going to have the filter on manual mode all the time mate id seriously not waste the extra cash. Saying that it may be a lot more powerful for you, but I've been able to compare. It still has great flow don't get me wrong and would prob seem really powerful.
I didn't give it to him lol, but he got it for far less than your selling ze 2075. Friend to friend discount.
For the extra expense you could just buy another 2075 and run it with. Super filtered water then. Two are being sold on here

You misread what I wrote (or I wrote it wrong). Im talking about using the electronic functions during the day and just throttling back at night time to minimise noise. Actually I have now ruled out the 2078. I think it would be TOO vicious for my tank. But the 2076 or 2074 are still in the frame. Would it be fair to assume they would be quieter than the 2078 by default ?

To be honest the 2078 was silent for me. And you can knock the flow setting down a notch or two to lower flow. With media on the 2078 gives out 1200 litres an hour. So if you are going with a pro3e I'd go for the biggest and just set flow accordingly mate

Alastair said:
To be honest the 2078 was silent for me. And you can knock the flow setting down a notch or two to lower flow. With media on the 2078 gives out 1200 litres an hour. So if you are going with a pro3e I'd go for the biggest and just set flow accordingly mate

If it was quiet for you, why did you crank it down at night? Is that flow reduction using the stock Eheim media, and what was that if you can recall mate ?

I turn my filters down at night to allow the fish calm water that's all especially as its pitch black for them.
Yeah that was using stock eheim, which was two trays of mech pro, one tray of bio mech and one tray of substrate pro

Alastair said:
I turn my filters down at night to allow the fish calm water that's all especially as its pitch black for them.
Yeah that was using stock eheim, which was two trays of mech pro, one tray of bio mech and one tray of substrate pro

OK, and just to confirm you turned the electronics functions off because it had greater flow (during the daytime) on manual ? Otherwise you could have used the daytime/night time function yes ? If getting maximum flow is not important to me, but I like the electronic functions, then all other things being equal, this is still an option. But I might still consider the 2076. I have to sell this one anyway first.

Back