Eheim surface skimmer problem

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by L3igh, 10 Nov 2019 at 2:39 PM.

1. L3igh

L3igh Newly Registered

Just installed an eheim surface skimmer/outlet .... it's not ducking from the movable floats ? I dont get it !! Seems fool proof .

I have a 100liter tank the pump is an eheim ecco pro 220

Any ideas ??

Attached Files:

2. Aqua sobriquet

Aqua sobriquet Member

There’s a valve in the main body, check it’s free to move.

https://www.eheim.com/resources/product//845/downloads/11/EHEIM_surface_skimmer_3535_manual.pdf

The height of part 7329850 also needs to be adjusted if I remember correctly - not used one for over 20 years ...

I found if you have a really thick oily film on the tank the flow through the skimmer isn’t strong enough to break the film on its own. You may need to break the film with your fingers to start it off.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2019 at 5:55 PM
  3. L3igh

L3igh Newly Registered

The valve your talking about ... is it the thing with the weight in ... that is currently where i found it , in the very top ??

Attached Files:

4. Aqua sobriquet

Aqua sobriquet Member

The valve is item number 7313078. It is indeed weighted and tends to bob up and down just above the inlet strainer at the bottom of the unit.

5. L3igh

L3igh Newly Registered

Ok I'll try that tomorrow... why the hell do they keep it in the top bit and not tell you in any if the pics or instructions that u have to place it in there ??!!

6. Aqua sobriquet

Aqua sobriquet Member

No idea. If you look at the link I posted though it shows all the bits in the right place.
    Let us know how you get on.

7. L3igh

L3igh Newly Registered

No luck I'm afraid ... I took the thing with the weight out of the top bit and tried it in the strainer and the main body and it just doesn't work .... I'm guessing my flow is not high enough for it to balance the float ...it certainly doesn't Bob up and down ... it just sits there due to the weight

8. Aqua sobriquet

Aqua sobriquet Member

Try removing the tab, part 7329850 completely. This is used to balance the flow between the skimmer arms and the bottom strainer. With it removed it should take as much water as it wants from the top. You can put it back to alter the flow later.

Also check that the complete unit is at the correct height in the tank. I think the arms need to be at about 45°?