• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FE CO2

hudsonpd

Can you put a CO2 bottle on its side? i.e. lying down?

I'd like to swap to a FE but the 2KG bottle I can find is JUST too large (with the reg etc) to fit inside the cabinet. Can I lie it down or is this dangerous?

OK. thaks Clifford. I didn't think you should but wanted to double check before either I gave up on the idea of using one or tried to re-think the cupboard again!

If you do find a "stubby" solution please share - I have the same problem and the suggestion of an FE outside of the cabinet is falling on stony ground with the domestic authorities.

Clifford - I hear you! I haven't even raised the idea of having an FE outside of the cabinet with the 'planning authority'!

Some people have installed their FE in another cupboard no where near their tank. They ran the CO2 pipe from their regulator & solenoid, along skirting board to a needle valve. Worked fine.

You place the needle valve at the fish tank end so that the intervening length of pipe pressurises instantly when the solenoid opens (rather than slowly if via a needle valve) and so that you can easily adjust the CO2 flow whilst observing the tank.

I ran my FE lying in a magazine rack for a couple of weeks no problems. I did have some pictures of someones setup with a FE installed at 45 degrees and he reported no issues.

Best position actually for a FE, of course, is upside down so that the dip tube is above the liquid CO2 ensuring the regulator releases gas. See my pic below.
extinguisher.jpg

Clifford said:
If you do find a "stubby" solution please share - I have the same problem and the suggestion of an FE outside of the cabinet is falling on stony ground with the domestic authorities.

HAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh how we bow to her who must be obeyed!!

Here is a plan (thinking outside the box) why don't you buy a large very nice decorative vase large enough to sit the FE in and some really nice artificial flowers to go in it. Stick the vase next to or near the tank, the flowers hide the hose, problem solved surely?

Cheers,

Steve

I'm sold on the "concealed remote cylinder" option.

Might even install while she's out and see how long it takes for it to be noticed.

Could you cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet? Depends on the space available I suppose.

You can also get 1Kg CO2 fire extinguishers, but they are very expensive, I saw £55, as they are generally chrome rather than red and about as common as rocking horse s**t. I went for the £10 2Kg red FE solution, parked between a wall and side of tank stand. The "domestic authorities" has spotted it and commented, which is why I tried it in the magazine rack...but the overflowing catalogues\magazines was spotted.

What about a soda stream CO2 cylinder ? http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/ sells an adapter for £30, the cylinders are £20 to buy and £10 to refill for example from Argos. Biggest issue is you only get 400gr odd in a sodastream bottle, but then again they are small. Search the web, people sell adapters to connect a sodastream bottle to a say a 25KG pub gas cylinder, which can be bought and refilled for not much. Need a pair of scales (Argos £10) to weigh the bottle after filling.

About refilling sodastream bottles
http://www.co2refill.eu/refill-your-co2-tank-for-sodastream
All about CO2 and cylinders.
http://www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/co2_info.htm

Back