Fire extinguisher CO2

leemonk

Guys, I know there is another thread for this, but I am sure I saw it in here somewhere.

Is there a place that will refill these FE's somewhere around heathrow?

I am changing my tanks this weekend and despite the CRoydon place being the closest to me, I do not want to wait a week for them to refill it.

Regards

Lee

verchap

Thanks for this Themuleous, I've just made a tentative step into C02 using this thread - it was actually shockingly cheap and easy... and i've still got all limbs intact...

giwight

Thanks Themuleous,

An inspiration! After reading this thread I have eventually taken the plunge and ordered all the bits needed.

After reading some members bad experiences with some regulators I decided to go for the Lunapet regulator and solanoid from Germany, I hope i've made the right decision, i'm awaiting delivery so time will tell!

Regards All

George

PM

I'm slightly wary of ebay FEs, got one 2kg, lasted a year, my next one lasted 3 months, same BPS, nothing changed. I don't think it was anywhere near full up.

lugefish

Just set up a pressurised co2 system using an FE and indivudually bought reg, valve, solenoid, bubble counter and drop checker. Came in at approx £100 including the FE, and postage. Thanks to the writer of this guide for making what appeared a mammoth task very stress free.

furryferret

Great article but can someone give some advice. I currently have a D&D CO2 system that uses the disposable co2 bottles and has the advantage of a solenoid that is wired to switch off the co2 when the lights go out (the solenoid is connected to the same time switch as the lights). Does anyone know if it is possible to use the D&D regulators and solenoid valve (with suitable adaptors) on a fire extinguisher set-up?. My guess is that the fire extinguisher bottles might be higher pressure than the disposable bottles and the regulator might not cope - any ideas anyone?

Themuleous

No idea I'm afraid. I would probably say no, as I think the thread size on those cylinders is bigger than the standard disposable bottles.

If you measure it I could compare it to mine if you want?

Sam

tobyone

Hi, im new to the concept of using fe's in aquariums and all i keep reading is that people are worried about going bang or taking off. Surely this could only happen if you took a hammer to the thing?!

Also, are all the threads on fe's the same size...im referring to where you screw the regulator in.

Thanks, T.

Themuleous

The whole 'warning' thing is just to cover peoples backs. If you think about it, by law every single work place in the country HAS to have a fire extinguisher. How many times have you heard of one going bang? As along as you are sensible, you really shouldn't have anything to worry about. Hell I've knocked over one of those massive pub cylinders and it landed directly on the reg, not even a 'hiss' :)

As Tom says, the thread size is the same size on all refillable cylinders :)

Sam

Awesome thread. Some of the links to ebay regulators seem to have expired, either that or my comp is playing up!

Can anyone advise a good (ish) regulator and solenoid? Looking to spend around £50. Not so fussed on using a solenoid, but if they're not pricey I might give them a go.

So glad I found this thread, the price of pressurised sets is just silly IMO.

Themuleous

Glad it is of help :) that was the idea.

To be honest, there are fewer and fewer regs without a solenoid, so you're probably better off with one that does both, you don't have to use the solenoid if you don't want to after all!

Sam