• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From skimmer to power head

Majsa

I am thinking of replacing the Eheim skimmer in my 175L Eheim Proxima (70x50x50cm) with a power head, but I am unsure about the l/h I need. I used to have surface scum and got used to running the skimmer 24/7, so I don't even know if it would be there. Anyway, hoping that scum wouldn't be an issue with a power head, and could use the skimmer in a new tank.

I have now Eheim 350T with 1050l/h, plus the Eheim skimmer 350 which adds a bit more flow but no 10x yet. Would a total of 10x turnover (so a powerhead of ca. 700l/h) be sufficient? Tunze 6015 with 180l/h sounds interesting, but would that be too much? What do you have? And what would be the best place to put it? Are power heads generally safe for small fish? As you see never had one before :confused:

This is the setup now:

Skimmer left corner - spraybar full length of back - inlet right corner
(originally I wanted to place the pipes on the same side, but there isn't that much space at the back :banghead:)

I don't have huge issues with plant growth, staurogyne repens could do better (some black algae on the leaf edges, tiny holes) and I thought of optimising the flow first before increasing the bubble rate. The CO2 goes through an JBL ProFlora inline diffusor, and I am dosing E.I.

I see it didn't work out with the pictures, so adding now...

Attachments

• IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1940.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
The 10x flow is needed for high light high tech tanks, lower light tanks could do with less.
The small problems on the staurogyne and the scum point in the direction of CO2 related problems indeed.
A Eheim powerhead 650 could do the job, and covering the intake with aquarium foam makes it safe for all inhabitants.

Thanks Edvet! The ±700l/h range sounds like a safe choice then. I hadn't noticed the Eheim 650 before, seems to be the pump of the Aquaball filters. It looks a bit big online, I think I have to see it in a store. The price isn't too bad. I guess you can use it without the air hose?

The light is the two T5 bulbs that came with the tank. In fact the issues are on the half where the plants are not shaded by vallisneria and that's also the end side of the spray bar. I would then think I should place the power head just below the spray bar on the right/end side, am I right?

I personally try to avoid foam on the filter intake. If you are like me and forget to clean it once or twice a week, it may end up clogging and ruining your filter (happened to me), so I only use what is usually called stainless steel "Shrimp guards" on the intake. I rarely clean them and they just work without issues.

The 10x flow is needed for high light high tech tanks, lower light tanks could do with less.

And then "Needed" is also very relative.. More to say experience tells, aim for at least 10x and you can't go wrong. And over time this is translated into "you need".. But in cases where 5 x is sufficient it can do very good with 5x.. Even 4 times can be, i did, i had to to get my Water lily flowering because flow is the main inhibitor for lily to float and or flower in aquariums. I didn't realy experience a lot of issues running at such a low turn over in a high tech tank.
It also might depend on hardscape placement vs filter output placement and plant sp. and placement. :)

Thanks all! After reading your replies and other posts here at the forum, I've decided to take a slow approach on this (no hurry anyway). I will take away some filter media the next time I clean the filter (for a better flow), have a better look at the inlet/outlet placement (which can be tricky due to the limited space in the rim), possibly buy the Eheim powerhead.

Back