• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Garden Plant ID's. Post here!

Hi all,

No, they aren't, but that definitely looks like a Salix (you can see stipules at the leaf base, <"important for identifying willows">) and most likely S. cinerea or S. caprea. <"Salix pentandra"> is the most evergreen of them.

I think some-one must be joking, they grow like cress.

cheers Darrel

Ok! Thanks... :) I was actually hoping for something more exclusive with nice flowers... But let's settle for Salix meanwhile it matures it will show which one it truly is...

It indeed is a fast grower, is see it getting larger every day...

This is mine. I have a couple and think they were pretty evergreen this winter. These were sent as unlabeled cuttings in a willow mix someone gave me and I never got round to an id.

20210504_155753.jpg

20210504_155853.jpg

20210504_155843.jpg

A neighbour just asked me what these are as they found three growing in a pot. I'm not sure but have a suspicion. The leaves are quite downy and have a reddish tinge on the newer growth.

20210509_121049.jpg

20210509_121209.jpg

20210509_121231.jpg

Thanks

I forgot the name of this flower, who knows its name?

It was from a mixed collection of Meadow flowers without an sp. list on the label.
I had it before many years ago and remember looking it up and think to remember something with a dragon in the name. But I'm at a loss and can't seem to find it back. It's an old picture and the only one I have, unfortunately, I was focusing on the fly.

DSCN8632.jpg

Thanks again Darrel... :) I guess you are spot on again, it indeed was Snake instead of Dragon. All tho it always grew rather delicate and tiny in my garden much smaller than the E. vulgaris examples I can find. Could be a condition issue of course.
not since 2007. Most of the Comfreys, Forget-me-nots etc. have gone since then
I had the same experience, it suddenly disappearing together with the forget me not that grew close to it back then. This picture is actually taken the same day.
DSCN8624.jpg

:)

Last edited:
I grow echium blue bedder every year. I never see any volunteer seedlings appear even though it says it self seeds easily. It's an easy annual that the bees absolutely love. You can get white and pink flowered variety as well.
I don't tend to grow many annuals but another great one that well worth it and does seem to come back yearly with no trouble is nigella.

Hi all,
does seem to come back yearly with no trouble is nigella.
It was in the garden when we moved in (26 years ago) I've never re-sowed it and it still comes up, <"and in a range of colours">. The only disadvantage is that you can't transplant the growing seedlings unless, they are really tiny. You can see some pale and mid blue ones, but I also <"get dark blue, white and pink">.

graveljune2019-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Not an id but a garden question. A friend bought an akebia quinata the other day and it's completely covered (and I mean every leaf has nearly full covereage) in powdery mildew. I've not grown a chocolate vine so I don't know if they are prone to it or if it's the way it was kept and overhead watered at the garden centre. She said she thought that it was the best one they had and that they were all like that. So my question is can it be easily remedied or should she take it back? I thought the latter was the best option and to just buy one in good health to start with. The only thing I use on plants is sb invigorator and so that's the only thing I could offer her but don't want to try if it's just better to get a healthy one.

Thanks in advance

akebia quinata the other day and it's completely covered (and I mean every leaf has nearly full covereage) in powdery mildew

I have it in the garden for over 10 years now in an old copper plated Milk churn hidden away at a rather shady and old neglected wet north corner. Rather neglected and I never pruned it once only water it once in a while. It's pretty hardy and grows pretty good but always a tad sparse, still, it went to the roof using a rain pipe towards more light and is a tad bushier at the top. Never seen it suffering mildew.

But I read it is prone to catch mildew if it stands in a too wet environment.

It all doesn't actually add up in the way I keep it
IMG_20210516_095829504.jpg

IMG_20210516_095833441.jpg

It might be the copper-plated milk churn that prevents the mildew from kicking in, maybe the plant takes some extra copper up via the churn... I know spraying copper sulfate mixed with water and lime seems to be the usual remedy. But that is just a guess, why mine never suffers mildew even tho it stands in the perfect spot for it. Maybe a piece of copper pipe in the soil might work positively.

In theory, since it's prone for it if kept too wet, he might want to put it in a sunny spot for a while... Then the mildew will disappear on its own. Don't know about the UK but we have a rather wet spring.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. She took it back on Friday and the guy at the centre was horrified that he hadn't noticed and quickly rushed to check the rest that were then taken off sale. I think it was because they were watered from above but the roots were dry.

There is a really nice example of one around the corner from me that is where she saw it and then asked what it was. It's really bushy and green but it's in full sun (plus in the ground), so I think that helps alot.

This one sprung up in a wildflower mix seed. Sorry for the rubbish pics, i should have remembered to take it when the sun was actually out. It has red stems, bind weed type leaves and reminds me of something I wouldn't expect to pop out of a wild flower mix. Thanks in advance.

20210527_182437.jpg
20210527_182336.jpg
20210527_182311.jpg

Think I've just answered my own question, buckwheat. If so then that's why it looks a bit like knotweed.

Back