• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hard Water or RO, which is better?

Where would we find a flow reducer ian?
Flow reducer usually comes matched with your RO unit. I say usually, as just found
Reverse Osmosis Consumables - Flow Restrictors - Osmotics Water Filtration

Also if fitting an RO unit, get an auto shutoff valve. http://www.osmotics.co.uk/products/Auto-Shutoff-Kit-with-Float-Valve.html
See here Installing an Auto Shut Off Valve - Instructions - Bulk Reef Supply how they work.

This enables you to have the RO unit permanently connected to mains water (except via maintenance isolating valves), you just turn on your RO output valve, in the shed in my mates case say 20m away, and it opens the water in and RO water flows.

Also auto flush units are useful as some cheap RO units require you to disconnect the outlet pipe to flush the unit. Basically you remove the flow reducer to allow full pressure water to flow through for a minute or two every so many hours of operation.

Look auto flush units as well.
Auto Flush Solenoid Valve - Osmotics Water Filtration

like your auto heating water butt
Still in use once a week. Still "twitchy" though about having mains pressurised hose pipe in the lounge near TV, sat box etc. But really save time for a 90litre water change.

Oh and if you fit an RO unit you have a legal duty (ie people have been fined for not doing so) to inform the water board. See here. New Page 2. I think even a WRAS certified plumber has to as well.

I was granted it for my water softener, no problem provided a double check valve was fitted to the incoming mains supply. 15mm Double Check Valve | Screwfix.com

The court case were of incorrectly fitted RO units (and pump ?) pushing contaminated water back into the mains supply.

You will/may have issues selling your house if you haven't got the relevant paperwork....

I am not sure if that applies where I live though
Yes it does http://www.water.gg/sites/default/files/Water Byelaws.pdf

Plumbing | Guernsey Water

Looks like if an "approved contractor" (pg 6) fits a "water treatment apparatus" (pg 17) then automatic approval is granted or else approval has to be sought.

However in practice ??? I suppose as long as a double check valve is fitted to the incoming supply to protect the incoming supply if there is a pressure issue nobody will ever know.

Back