• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

He t5 longlast

As someone who hacked a Roma 125 to bits to get T5 in I probably wouldn't bother, a lot of hassle getting it right. If you do it plan exactly where all the cables can and will fit. I'd recommend getting some water proof cable glands as well as the silicon looks messy and if you don't get it right will leak.

I use T5 HE in my tank and they are probably comparable with T8 on PAR but with less energy cost. Probably save your money and get a good set of reflectors.

you reckon I could perhaps cut the old juwel light unit out cutting the bottom of the juwel light housing and then using some uber strong inside were juwel out there ballsy and attach the end caps together,?
Nope, been there done that with Juwel light unit. FAIL. Do not access the ballast from the water side.

I was given a Vision 180 T8 light unit that someone had tried repairing by getting access from underneath. I replaced the ballast (T8) and got it working, but despite trying I was never able to completely seal the unit, despite having access to some wonderful plastic hot melt glues as work. I suspect the joints you make are under tension and always cracked open. Eventually the water got in and ballast stopped. The Juwel plastic is not amenable to gluing in damp/wet situations.

My second failed T8 unit I cut open from the top, dried it out, glued it back with hot glue (silicone doesn't generally stick to plastic) and it lasted 7 years before the ballast "detonated". Just bought a proper Juwel replacement unit £100 rather than waste time with trying to repair it.

I wouldn't bother even attempting to repair/change the bulb lengths. Just get a proper Juwel Rio T5 light from Ebay £100 including tubes. Plug in. Job done. Watch that algae grow...if not careful.

hey there Ender and Ian

I'm not looking to replace the juwel system im removing it and fitting my own t5ho

So my goal is to remove as much of the existing housing as I can leaving only the top, witch the canopy flaps attach to, then I will retro fit a Hagen glo into it, to be honest I went to lfs today got a Hagen glo out its box and fiddled about with seeing if it would work, and it's easy

There is a plastic brace in the ceneter of the 240, if I remove the juwel lighting housing ballast. Everything other then the t8 end caps, the Hagen will easily mount to the underside of the canopy,
Then I will be able to use the old t8 and mount my t5 end caps to them, that's the easiest bit

I have planned and planned and seams ok to me, even if it doesn't I have the option of going from the cabinet over and throught the top so should be easy enough
I literally do this sort of stuff all day everyday

However if I was going to replace the juwel ballast with one witch would fit inside the housing it would have to be done from the top,but it would be easy eiether way, you would need an adhesive that melts the plastic, not a glue to hold, that just wouldn't work, an adhesive that bonds and melts plastic to plastic, then let dry and seal with any silicon that hasn't got any mood resistance properties would be safe, condensation will remove most glues easily enough other time,hence why glue wouldn't work,

I will be starting a journal this evening, I have my soil soaking in water, what a bloody mess my 2 yr old found the bucket, fun

And alage won't be a problem, as some floating plants will dull down the light some what, and lots of plants will take care of the rest, I have had a lot of questions and I apprecaite ever bit of advice given thank you all,

Once again sorry for the rambling,

Any opinions would be appreciated

Ghosty

Bump sorry Ian I may not have been clear enough, I have no intentions of repairing or changing bulb length at this point I'm replacing the system for one of witch im not limted on bulbs, im purchasing a Hagen glot5ho, and will use the ge longlast t5" it's cost effective in the long run,mso it's just a case of a retro fit

the Hagen ballast is water tight, from what I read of their website and pdf, and I have used there t8 ballasts in my vavarium and there completely sealed,

I will look into this further but as its a sealed unit I am sure it's up for the purpose,for under canopy installation
If anyone has any direct experiance with this system please share your view

the Hagen ballast is water tight, from what I read of their website and pdf, and I have used there t8 ballasts in my vavarium and there completely sealed,

I will look into this further but as its a sealed unit I am sure it's up for the purpose,for under canopy installation
If anyone has any direct experiance with this system please share your view
thats not how I read it on their website it says remote balast with waterproof end caps
https://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Lighting/DIY-Lighting-Systems/A1558

Fair enough

wouldn't be hard to place a bead of silicon round any seal of the ballast,

Wallah water 'tight'

It's an electric ballast with a moulded plastic housing,

But then there is the option of under cabinet instilation, but that means wires everywhere, so that's not going to happen, making that ballast housing water tight is easy enough., I'm abit old with wire, have enough of them round my house as it is, lol

Everything can be adapted for a differant purpose

Fair enough

wouldn't be hard to place a bead of silicon round any seal of the ballast,

Wallah water 'tight'

It's an electric ballast with a moulded plastic housing,

But then there is the option of under cabinet instilation, but that means wires everywhere, so that's not going to happen, making that ballast housing water tight is easy enough., I'm abit old with wire, have enough of them round my house as it is, lol

Everything can be adapted for a differant purpose

Those look like cooling vents on top? Probably don't want to seal them up if they are. The unit doesn't look bad, why don't you just stick it on top of the hood?

Hello Ender,
That is a very good idea tbh makes the whole process easier,
As for whether there vents it didn't cross my mind that they were when I had it in my hands today, i. At lfs tomorrow trading in some fish for more plants and gravel, so will check if it is and post up my findings will also post a pic, once mine arrives to double clarify, I suppose the ballast on top of the tank will be the better option
I just like the idea of a vast market of t5 plus the option of going high output when and if I decide to go high tech.
Plus the ge bulbs look awesome for 2 quid

1.03 cm to long for the Ge, surley I can retro fit the juwel lighting system
No 10cm too short.
T5 standard is 46" Juwel T5 is 42" (4" = 10cm) so doubt you would fit T5 standard tubes even with serious mods.

I have a picture somewhere my mate bought a tank where someone had retrofitted a bigger T8 tube that poked out the sides of the tank hood. Looked c**p. He changed to a smaller length T8 tube, that only covered about 2/3rds tank width, ran for years, but not much plant activity as very low light. In the end changed to a T5 tube, but Juwel length so fully covered tank width.

This is the reason Juwel produced these lengths so that you can fully light useful tanks sizes.

This is the end of the Juwel 240 light unit, I can't see how you are going the extra 5cm of the standard T5 tubes ?
00047.jpg

an adhesive that bonds and melts plastic to plastic
I did, I used a super duper commercial high temperature hot glue, we use at work, that did melt into the Juwel plastic, but over time it or Juwel plastic cracked and let water in, when used on the under (wet) side. Was absolutely fine when used on top side that is not exposed to water, lasted years...however didn't last long as the replacement lamp holders I used (Ebay) never sealed properly, as I said, as the silicone does not bond to the plastic, eventually water getting in at lamp fixings. The Juwel lamp holders use a silicone gasket to seal against the plastic. There are numerous threads (of failure) where people have bought failed Juwel light units from Ebay, and tried and failed to fit T5 (Juwel length of course) lights. Water eventually gets the better of them, as it did for me, the moment you touch or modify "anything" on the Juwel wet side.

Hey Ian

Lol how I missed that I have no idea, but hang on
The tank is 1210mm/121cm/47.6 inches
The ge bulb is 1149mm/114.9cm/45.2inches
So I fact I have 610mm/6.1cm/2.4inches end to fit end caps, so it should actually be a nice fit
Just means my bulb mounting will have to be altered
Images that I buy the ballasts and bulb get it deleivery and find the bulbs to leave no lol, that would suck

Last edited:
The tank is 121cm, 47.6 inches
This is the external measurement. The internal will be probably 3cm shorter, I doubt you will have room for 45.2" tube and suitable end caps.

If you read the Acardia T5 controller instructions it states place the lamp holders at L+35mm, so they need to be fixed at 114.9 + 3.5 -> 118.4cm. Internal tank width is probably 118cm, so a tight or no fit....

Unfortunately you will need to try. Remember tubes are glass and don't take kindly to being forced into too smaller holes.

Personally, I would just buy the proper Juwel length tubes (and light fitting), the tubes last years (at least the Arcadia ones do). That's at least what I did after my T8/T5 light playing and failing.

Even if the tank is 3cm of a 121 guideline measurement,,
Even if that is the case, the bulb is 114cm long 1149mm, plus I'm installing it into the canopy, so it is a good fit, I have taken into consideration in accurate measurements and also, the fact that the juwel canopy is 2cm bigger every side, so it's not like I'm fitting IT into a tank of 118cm im fitting it into a canopy that is slightly bigger

Thank you for the concern though but I am happy in the fact that it will fit,

Thank you for the concern though but I am happy in the fact that it will fit,
Ghosty,
Let us know how you get on then...and I don't want to see holes drilled in the side of the tank as your tubes are too long :eek:

Lol

will post up the pics Asoon as everything arrives, got my mud soaking, my clay I'm struggling to get, lights, power head, plants, filter bags all being ordered tonight, I'm collecting the tank tonight, Asoon as I got it il start a journal,

I can I when myself wacking out my drill after being vexed cause the bulb to long lol, Or some dodgy invention

Ha,

Would be funny to see someone with bulbs sticking out the side of a tank

Got the tank today so starting a journal now, siCheers for the help Ian, Ender and big clown, hope to see you in the journal

Cheers

Ghosty

Would be funny to see someone with bulbs sticking out the side of a tank
That was exactly my mate had when he bought his tank 2nd hand years ago. Ends of tubes poking out coated in tape...nice...

Back