• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heater is dead

Fred13

Hello,

So it seems my brand new JBL external heater died on day 2 without a single reason.
I dont have any options now until Monday or Tuesday and the water temperature dropped to 15 degrees celcius.
I am afraid that the plants wont make it ?

Hello,

So it seems my brand new JBL external heater died on day 2 without a single reason.
I dont have any options now until Monday or Tuesday and the water temperature dropped to 15 degrees celcius.
Wonder if it would help to wrap the tank in blankets or towels to insulate it from the cold?
I wouldn’t have thought a few days at those temperatures would kill plants completely but I have no actual experience of this as I live in a place where 15*C is an extremely rare phenomenon

Hello,

They should be fine,you might just get some melting but if they're well established they might not.
I forgot to switch the heater back on a plant tank in my shed for a couple of days (no livestock) and it went lower than that with just a few Crypts melting.

I regularly used to forget to turn the heater back on after water changes, so tank would be unheated for a week. Plants probably grew slower, fish didn't seem to mind.

In the end I put the heater and one of my filters on same mains connection, as was less likely to forget to turn filter back on. But still managed to !!!

I now have a PLC controlling things and it flashes a red screen when ever the heater or pump are off. In the 6 years I have had the PLC, not forgotten to turn heater back on !!

Back