• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help needed to find my plant deficiency

Vivian Andrew

Hi All,

I'm using RO water in my tank and to re-mineralise it I'm following James planted tank technique and dosing EI also, last two weeks i used seachem equilibrium to re-mineralise after 50% water change, after that i see some changes in my plants where my new growth become short and star grass plant leafs also breaking and floating in the tank below is the picture, is this calcium deficiency?, only three plants got affected lobelia cardinalis, limnophila aromatica and Star Grass (Heteranthera zosterifolia).

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

Insufficient CO2 or something eating them.

Since I got rid of 3 of my bigger fish (supposedly Flying Foxes ?), certain plants are growing much better, no stunted growth, no damaged leaves, no missing roots and nothing to do with CO2.

Hi Ian, thanks for your input, tank was running without co2 for 4 days 2 weeks back has CO2 gas got over, but before also when my co2 got over i filled after 4 days but never faced this issue. and i also didn't add any new fish for last 3 months.

Hi Andrew,
Glad to see the tank improve so much from a few months ago. I agree with Ian in that it should have nothing to do with what you use to remineralize, so that's just a coincidence. It's either due to predation or CO2.

Cheers,

Star grass looks like deficiency (at least the plant generally looks like what I "read" as "unhappy" star grass)
Lobelia ... newest leaves looks like predation - what fish/shrimp do you have? - but is it predation of healthy leaf or happening because new leaf is poor quality ...

FWIW I'd had star grass do awesome in an established low tech tank - water changes, occasional (old) Tropica fert, but no liquid carbon; current new set up with Excel & the 1-2 grow (which was poor when it came in) just gave up.

I have a baby bristle nose (caught in with the shrimp & just left in the bag) that does chew up softer leaves - he's seemingly more comfortable in the dark as daytimes he's mostly on glass & wood etc, flitting about the tank, but every morning there's a new (cardamine) leaf remnant.

Aside: what did you decide on for your new tank scape?

Hi Andrew,
Glad to see the tank improve so much from a few months ago. I agree with Ian in that it should have nothing to do with what you use to remineralize, so that's just a coincidence. It's either due to predation or CO2.

Cheers,

followed your guidance:), i will wait and see for a week .

Star grass looks like deficiency (at least the plant generally looks like what I "read" as "unhappy" star grass)
Lobelia ... newest leaves looks like predation - what fish/shrimp do you have? - but is it predation of healthy leaf or happening because new leaf is poor quality ...

FWIW I'd had star grass do awesome in an established low tech tank - water changes, occasional (old) Tropica fert, but no liquid carbon; current new set up with Excel & the 1-2 grow (which was poor when it came in) just gave up.

I have a baby bristle nose (caught in with the shrimp & just left in the bag) that does chew up softer leaves - he's seemingly more comfortable in the dark as daytimes he's mostly on glass & wood etc, flitting about the tank, but every morning there's a new (cardamine) leaf remnant.

Aside: what did you decide on for your new tank scape?

I have neon tetra, serpae tetra, SAE, rummy nose, white cloud mountain minnow, Otocinclus, angel and 1 black molly fish, stargrass is doing good now all the new shoot are good. so i will wait and see for a week.

yep finished setting my new tank a hour ago only. below is the pic

DSC_0336.jpg

Finally found the issue happened to stargrass, limnophila aromatica and lobelia cardinals, it's my angel fish chewing the leaves but it does only to these three plant don't know why, just lopping them not eating it and sad think is i thought limnophila aromatica has some deficiency coz only stems where there so removed them and replaced with other stem plant , so i moved angel fish to another tank last week and now both plants are doing good, see the below pic

DSC_0395.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

Back