• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High tech, low tech

So what happens if you have high light but don't add CO2?

Adding floating plants is a good way of mitigating the issues of high light. They can soak up loads of light and have access to atmospheric CO2. They'll grow like mad, create shade for fish and shield some of the tank from the blistering rays :cool:

Plus you can sell them on to UKAPS members :D

So what happens if you have high light but don't add CO2?
b04.jpg

wow Edvet!

If algae is so easy to grow why isn't there an ancient Japanese art of algae topiary?

Can you imagine the challenge of not letting it get out of hand :drowning:

Eeeeeeeeeeek! That's a very flourishing, erm, algaescape you have there...

I do have lots of floating plants (courtesy of Darrel) and have just started adding Seachem Flourish Excel. Plus the lights are on for only 6-7 hours/day. Hopefully that will keep any algae in check.

Algaescape :lol:

My mate got an algae-scape similar to this.

He changed his very very very old faded single T8 tube to a brand spanking new T5 HO tube. Also increased the T5 length compared to T8 as fitted a Juwel length tube, as original T8 only covered centre 3/4 of tank. Tank was much brighter and looked good, but didn't add carbon source or fertilisers as never needed to with T8 tube.

Noticed a bit of algae, before he went away on holiday, few plants (egeria) turning brown..

Anyway came back from holiday and found light timer had failed and T5 had been on 24/7 for a week. Tank was completely full of green fluff just like Edverts picture, though not as good as Edvert's as glass was completely green coated as well. No plants left at all, but fish all happy.

Hi all,

A little late to the interesting discussion but I thought I would throw in how I view things.

To me:
  • Low tech = low levels of technology in the planted aquarium
  • Mid tech = medium levels of technology in the planted aquarium (most hobbyists)
  • High tech = high levels of technology in the planted aquarium
By technology, I mean gadgetry.

There are other categories, IMO, such as Diana's El Natural that don't necessarily fall in the three mentioned above.

Of course, the above are simply labels and should really not mean much. What we really are asking when we use the labels is:
  • What light are you using?
  • How are you introducing CO2?
  • How are you fertilizing?
  • How are you filtering?
Bear in mind that levels of light, CO2, fertilization are not necessarily indicative of the label. For example:
  • Would you say high light automatically means high tech? Well, what if I'm using the sun for light? What if I'm using shade cloth to throttle down the sun?
  • I use LED, pressurized CO2, auto-dosing EI solution and Eheim canister filtration and a power head for movement. However, I adjust down the power and dosing for all of these so that my plants grow much slower similar to a low light environment. Am I high tech or low tech?
My point is that we really should do away with these labels that create more confusion than anything else. Instead, we should ask the above questions that will, in turn, dictate how we reach a stable and beautiful aquascape.

If you're interested on how to aquascape when you have a slow-growing environment, I did a ScapeFu Podcast on Low Tech Aquascaping that is relevant to this subject.

What do you think?

• Would you say high light automatically means high tech?
Yup. Because you have to do all sorts of things to use the higher light levels and prevent an algaescape.

As with a lot of things in this hobby that I've realised recently, a lot of generalisations but no use getting into specifics sometimes. I guess its like asking someone "What's a powerful car?" My mum might say 150 bhp is plenty powerful, but I might think nothing is powerful until it hits 300 bhp. What's medium lighting? 20 PAR at the substrate? 50? 80? Not many can agree to this either!

Myself, I'm sticking to CO2 injection - CO2 injection whether it'd be bio yeast or pressurised is high-tech. The yeast is just DIY'd high-tech. Adding liquid carbon doesn't count for me, I'm sure many of you with disagree. Personally because I've never used liquid CO2 as a carbon source, but more of an algaecide.

Back