• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how can I level my already full 6' tank?

john6

I have just water changed and I have noticed my tank is not level by about 1/4 inch from back to front. Is there any way I can level it without the obvious emptying everything, It is 6x2x2 and is on a hardwood floor, I've tried those plastic building shimmies but they won't even begin to get under the base, is there anything else i can use or try?

Hi,
I've used theses with great effect -

NWS_Lined-Composite-Bundle-5.jpg

I don't see why you cannot empty the tank as much as possible (without tearing everything down), get a couple of mates to pop round and with three protected crowbars placed right next to the feet gently ease it up (obviously looking out for anything untoward happening) and push the shims in. I f the shims aren't going to give you enough lift you can use two together.
I did this on a 75% drained 900 x 530 x 550 with three feet at the front by myself after the tank leant slightly forward after filling on laminate flooring.
I'd give it a go as wouldn't really want 6' x 2' x 2' aquarium out of level.
Cheers!

Hi,
I've used theses with great effect -

NWS_Lined-Composite-Bundle-5.jpg

I don't see why you cannot empty the tank as much as possible (without tearing everything down), get a couple of mates to pop round and with three protected crowbars placed right next to the feet gently ease it up (obviously looking out for anything untoward happening) and push the shims in. I f the shims aren't going to give you enough lift you can use two together.
I did this on a 75% drained 900 x 530 x 550 with three feet at the front by myself after the tank leant slightly forward after filling on laminate flooring.
I'd give it a go as wouldn't really want 6' x 2' x 2' aquarium out of level.
Cheers!
There are no feet the cabinet is flat to the floor so those shims do not work (I've tried) so if I could get a crow bar under it I could get a shimmie under it, thanks for trying bazz.

I wouldn't risk anything without removing water,, providing the base floor is stable remove the water(can be kept in temporary containers,as long as the tank is flat on cabinet,As recommended it can be levelled at base. Set time so you don't have to rush ,give yourself a a few hours

Unless you can create some sort of lift using a car jack, which is a lot easier when you don’t have a cabinet flat to the floor.
However all that water, it’s a huge risk.

Can you borrow a high lift jack and use it to lift from somewhere higher up the cabinet with the doors open? You'd only need to lift it a few mm, enough to get the shims under.

Like this

I would personally remove as much water as possible so you could check the level again to make sure it's not the weight of the tank. If it's only that far out and it's consistent across the length of the tank you could try some foam (like you have under tanks, a double layer might work) or even an extra thickness of carpet. The fact it compresses means that you might not get it completely level but it will be supported quite well.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that twisting of a tank is much more dangerous than a tank that is simply slanted a bit.
Glass wants to be supported evenly, even if that evenness is a little bit slanted one way.
It doesnt want to be twisted, as this puts a lot of forces on the glass being pulled in different directions.

I would first check the floor with a straight edge and level, to do that accurately you will need a very straight piece of wood or even better a 6’ level.
Check to see if there is any gap under the straight edge by eye or using a sheet of paper by sliding it underneath.
If you cant acquire an long level then you could simply try measuring down from the water level to see if you can detect any ups and downs on the floor.

Which way the tank is leaning is important. If it's dipping down to the wall then I think it's less likely to be the floor, if it's dipping away from the wall then it could be the floor. I would definitely follow foxfish's suggestion above.

I wouldn't try to level the tank without knowing the cause.

I used shims to level up my modest tank (70L).
To raise up the wood the tank rests on whilst shimming I used my car's jack, placed on top of some spare wood I had lying around. Can't say it was especially prudent but it was effective.

[edit] I've just had a look at your tank, and the route I took might not be open to you - your cabinet is much nicer than my collection of 1 x 2s and plywood so I doubt you'd be able to just put shims under the top of it without causing other issues. Amazing fish btw.

Sorry for not replying guys, just been really busy.
Some good ideas in there so thanks to everybody who replied. My lfs knows a builder so he has asked him to come round on Wednesday to see if he can suggest/do anything and to check the floor and cabinet, although the floor is solid concrete so I doubt it's the floor.

Back