• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do I make this CO2 reactor more efficient

rgpitil

Seedling
Hello Peeps,

I got this stainless steel CO2 reactor from GLA (USA) , paired with this filter operating at full flow. At 3 bubbles per minute, I experience a CO2 air pocket in the reactor and if I turn off the filter, it does not turn back on as it gets air-locked. I have attached how the reactor looks from Inside, how can I modify it to such that there isn't an air pocket at a mere 3 bubbles per second, (less than 3bps my drop checker is blue green and i'd like it to be green as I have a high light tank).
Cheers
RP
reactor-inside2__03825.jpg

Two things:

1) I’d configure a bypass and back pressure system with vinyl tubing, PVC tees and valves. Make a steel Cerges reactor. That simple reactor isn’t never going to be as efficient as a $75 Cerges without some additional plumbing.

2) Secondly, I’d cut the shorter (input) tube shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things:

1) I’d configure a bypass and back pressure system with vinyl tubing, PVC tees and valves. Make a steel Cerges reactor. That simple reactor isn’t never going to be as efficient as a $75 Cerges without some additional plumbing.

2) Secondly, I’d cut the shorter (input) tube shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But why?

Couple of things I would do:
  • Put a short length of pipe, internally, from CO2 inlet to near the outflow of the inlet pipe so CO2 is going into the water flow. Maybe even use a ceramic CO2 diffuser, to get finer diffusion.
  • Put another short length of pipe from top of reactor, where CO2 is collecting, to the outlet pipe so the outlet water flow draws and CO2 gas away.
  • Bend the end of inlet pipe to encourage water so swirl within the reactor.

Hi,
You might find that you require the exact correct water flow rate for whatever amount of CO2 that you are injecting. Most reactors have a sweet spot therefore setting up a simple bypass to control the flow rate through it might be a wise decision before butchering it, it's not cheap.
Cheers!

At 3 bubbles per minute, I experience a CO2 air pocket in the reactor and if I turn off the filter, it does not turn back on as it gets air-locked.
Where is located your reactor ?

It should be installed after the filter so if there is an air pocket in the reactor it won't be sucked into the pump impaler and make it airlock.

Usually when you have an air pocket in the rector it means you dont have enough flow in it. So maybe your filtration media reduce to much the flow.

Because a Cerges allows you to generate back pressure which results in better gas dissolution.
I use a Cerges made out of a water filter housing and I have no bubbles at all, ever, and I'm running an impossible-to-count bubble rate, at 30cc/min.
This is what I mean, any suggested action needs an explanation of what it will achieve 😊

That is one weird design, sends the water right into the outflow and leaves the CO2 at the top undisturbed pretty much!

Back