• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

HOW TO: Clean, easy and highly nutritious greenwater culture for Daphnia and Moina.

Wookii

I have leaf litter in my indoor jars, ready to go. Ostracods have already appeared there. I just haven’t been able to expand the moina after hatching. They live around a week, but haven’t taken off fast enough to transfer them to the larger container. I think partly I might be killing them when adding chlorella/fish mix.

Have you tested the Chlorella culture for ammonia?

Also what water are you keeping the Moina in? Mine always similarly died if I kept them in the RO water (with a dash of potassium carbonate to ensure a positive pH) that I hatched them in - but my main growing on tank was tap water based, so plenty of calcium, which I suspect they need in order to grow their carapace.

brhau

Have you tested the Chlorella culture for ammonia?
I haven’t yet lowered the fix mix such that the supernatanr isn’t brown. But I could measure the water in the starter culture.

Also what water are you keeping the Moina in? Mine always similarly died if I kept them in the RO water (with a dash of potassium carbonate to ensure a positive pH) that I hatched them in - but my main growing on tank was tap water based, so plenty of calcium, which I suspect they need in order to grow their carapace.
I make 100 TDS water for my betta tank with RODI + Equilibrium, about GH 3. I use that for the moina hatch. My tap water is soft and has chloramine in it, so I’d need to add sodium thiosulfate, which isn’t good for the moina either. I could make a third kind of water, I guess, if that’s recommended.

Wookii

I haven’t yet lowered the fix mix such that the supernatanr isn’t brown. But I could measure the water in the starter culture.

Oh, if its still brown, it's likely to still have plenty of ammonia in it - too early to use it for feeding.

I make 100 TDS water for my betta tank with RODI + Equilibrium, about GH 3.

I'm sure that should be plenty.