• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ian's 80cm (Chocolate gourami!)

Ian Holdich

After much deliberation i have decided to sell my corner tank. I had no problems with the tank, however, it was a pain to maintain as it was so tall, there was only one or two scapes that worked in a corner tank. The corner tank sold very quickly to someone who was going marine.

I did want to try an Optiwhite tank. The price put me off though and TGM or other places didn't offer delivery. Well, they did but it was for the price of a pallet and that also worked out very expensive. There is only so far the wife will go to accommodate my hobby!

After chatting at my local LFS (The Aquarium, Lincoln), i didn't realise that the Ehiem tanks were rimless, they don't have clear seals, but i can live with that. So i ended up buying an Ehiem scuberline tank and stand. They have the non bang hinges on the doors which is ace!

I have also bought Arcadia Luminaire, it's running T8's, which i'm quite happy with TBH. I'm really not into throwing shed loads of light over a tank.

Wish me luck! The plants and soil is coming tomorrow.

newtank2-1.jpg

Re: Ian's 80cm (what? a rectangle!)

cheers Mark, and thanks for all the advice regarding planting a 'normal' tank.

ianho said:
cheers Mark, and thanks for all the advice regarding planting a 'normal' tank.

hope it helps. As we discussed, we always are learning. Our vision is not always what we think it is.

Mark Evans said:
hope it helps. As we discussed, we always are learning. Our vision is not always what we think it is.

:thumbup: The Aquajournals have been out for the last week or so, lets just hope it's not a massive fail. Cheers again mate.

Ian's 80cm (what? a rectangle!)

Not sure about the black silicone, but very much looking forward to what you're going to do inside it!

IMO thats the perfect size tank mate

I knew you'd be happy with the tank size lol. To be fair i probably wouldn't have got a 126 ltr (yep that's what Ehiem state the size is), if i hadn't seen the actual size of yours. Can't wait to get going with an open top tank either. They look so much nicer IMO.

Not sure about the black silicone, but very much looking forward to what you're going to do inside it!

thanks Sentral, as above, i just couldn't afford the prices for a bit of clear silicone. I have been messing around with wood for a while now, trying to get it right.

well, it's been a good day...here's how it went.

It started with a trip to Sainsbury's where i picked up this...
kasabian1.jpg

there best album since the first one, well worth a purchase!

The substrate arrived
kasabian2.jpg

The subtrate entered the tank
kasabian3.jpg

nice and deep.

Then i spent a couple of hours messing with hardscape and finally decided on this one
kasabian4.jpg

It's now fully planted, i'll get some pics up later. I very happy with the way it's turned out.

Tank dimensions look great. I'm not a great scaper but must say it looks good to my eye. I think I would have tried a little more height in the hardscape area.

While your waiting for it to settle for pics can we have a plant list please? Can't wait to see the planted pics.

While your waiting for it to settle for pics can we have a plant list please?

Thank you Spyder. The plants list isn't actually that big, however there is a lot of certain plants.

HC 'cuba'
Alternanthera Rosaefolia 'mini'
Microsorium pteropus
Cryptocoryne Balansae
Aponogeton Crispus 'Red' (i had to keep hold of this one!)
Pogostemon Helferi

heres a couple of pics...

java2.jpg

java1.jpg

I just hope the HC carpet takes, i also hope that the Rosaeflia, 1 stays red and 2 stays mini!

Thanks Gill, i wanted to keep one side open, i took inspiration from Amanos underwater Wabi's, obviously mine not a full submerged Wabi, but he leaves sides open, this looked ace in the ADA catalogues. The missus also liked the look of the open space. I think it will suit a HC carpet as well.

I do Find that it makes life so much easier when the other half likes the tank aswell. Mine has conceeded now to the fact that the little one is hooked and really enjoys the fish.

it's half the battle in this hobby Gill!

Women. lol

Lol so True.

We had the carpets cleaned last week. And I Overheard her asking how much to accidentally spill some liquids into the tank. OoooooH I went mad at her.

Re: Ian's 80cm (Planted on Page 2)

Looks really good mate, this will look very smart in 3 or 4 weeks! this has a fair similarity to the planed scape in my journal i just started, but in an awkward bow front.. .. i want straight lines :(

Living alone is very conducive to aquascaping :) and overdrafts :lol:

Re: Ian's 80cm (Planted on Page 2)

Looks really good mate, this will look very smart in 3 or 4 weeks! this has a fair similarity to the planed scape in my journal i just started, but in an awkward bow front.. .. i want straight lines

Thanks very much!

I liked my corner tank, but as this side of the hobby became a little more serious. I was just always longing for a 'normal' shaped tank. I would also be bankrupt if i lived alone!

Nice work! That's a real steep slope on the substrate, looks good.

Thank you, with the tank only being 35cm wide, it needs it to atleast give it some depth.

Back