• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is CO2 really worth it??

I’m going for easy plants when I set up my aquarium for a betta and will use Tropica aquarium soil, I’m a bit puzzled on the aspect of co2. Is it essential? How difficult is it going to be and is it safe for the fish?

I’m going for easy plants when I set up my aquarium for a betta and will use Tropica aquarium soil, I’m a bit puzzled on the aspect of co2. Is it essential? How difficult is it going to be and is it safe for the fish?
Getting it all adjusted and tuned in is fiddly. If you’re going for easy plants (do you mean tropica classed easy plants?) then you should be fine without CO2. It’s certainly not a necessity and there are lots of people on the forum here running stunning aquaria with no CO2.

Last edited:
Getting it all adjusted and tuned in is fiddly. If you’re going for easy plants (do you mean tropica classed easy plants?) then you should be fine without CO2. It’s certainly not a necessity and there are lots of people on the forum here running stuffing aquaria with no CO2.
Yeh the Tropica easy classed plants. They’ve recommened the neutro combo low tech plant fertilizers well aqua essentials did.. along with those plants. And im hoping that’ll be sufficient along with Tropica aquatic soil. Just gotta figure lighting filters and heating then i think the basics are covered .. oh and i gotta pick the best aquarium for 50l that’ll last and not fall apart or have a hideous lid! .. so basically im no where near ready :D

Yes, TNC Complete, ATP Complete, Tropica Specialized are all good choices as mentioned.

Cheers,
Michael
By the Tropica specialized ones do you mean their premium nutrition one? I’m not sure I have heard of the complete or atp complete..is what I’ve attached the right one? When looking for atp I don’t seem to find anything
IMG_5991.png

By the Tropica specialized ones do you mean their premium nutrition one? I’m not sure I have heard of the complete or atp complete..is what I’ve attached the right one? When looking for atp I don’t seem to find anythingView attachment 205591

This is Tropica Specialized and this is ATP Complete. Tropica Premium is not what we consider an all-in-one or complete fertilizer as it contains no Nitrogen or Phosphate (the N and P in NPK) - otherwise known as Macro nutrients, the food you plants will need the most. Any of the recommended products will work for you. That is, TNC Complete that you already found on Amazon.uk and Tropica Specialized and ATP Complete.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
This is Tropica Specialized and this is ATP Complete. Tropica Premium is not what we consider an all-in-one or complete fertilizer as it contains no Nitrogen or Phosphate (the N and P in NPK) - otherwise known as Macro nutrients, the food you plants will need the most. Any of the recommended products will work for you. That is, TNC Complete that you already found on Amazon.uk and Tropica Specialized and ATP Complete.

Cheers,
Michael
Amazing thank you and they’re perfectly safe for the fish/shrimp? Much appreciate your advice

Check out Adams Gas website for your local co2 stockist. There are 3 within 15 miles of you.

A 3kg food grade co2 bottle will set you back C.£50 deposit and C.£30 for the gas. That’ll last you about 4 months, then just £30 for each bottle swap. Far cheaper than soda stream.

Get a decent regulator, Strideways and Life Aqua are both very solid pieces of kit.
Think about the diffuser in tank or in-line. Defo go inline if using a spray bar, assuming normal sized tubing of course.

👍
Or, get a dirt cheap regulator and a pH controller to dial in your desired pH drop to a 0.1% decimal point or some go to 0.01 and hold it there for the whole photoperiod
You'll have no fluctuations and on WC day, you won't create a big drop 👍🏼

It is truly sad to see that when a novice wants to keep a betta, a few shrimps, and a bunch of easy plants to complement the picture, all in a 50 liter tank, he/she believes that he/she needs CO2 injection, special substrate, and sophisticated filtration. It's just sad.

It is truly sad to see that when a novice wants to keep a betta, a few shrimps, and a bunch of easy plants to complement the picture, all in a 50 liter tank, he/she believes that he/she needs CO2 injection, special substrate, and sophisticated filtration. It's just sad.
Agreed. I can see algae problems a few weeks down the line.

Lets not get too overbearing here... its not "sad" at all... All those are very legit questions as to whether it's needed or not - even though the answer is a no in most cases, we should still try and answer them to the best of our ability - that is the point of this online forum after all... What did you except from a total beginner? that he/she would just inherently know?

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Lets not get too overbearing here... its not "sad" at all... All those are very legit questions as to whether it's needed or not - even though the answer is a no in most cases, we should still try and answer them to the best of our ability - that is the point of this online forum after all... What did you except from a total beginner? that he/she would just inherently know?
Yes true, still true what Maq said. It's a sad situation. I don't think it's judgmental to say that. It's a state of facts. Reason why people might think CO2 is "required" and you need heavy equipment in such situations is because of the overwhelming CO2 bias there has been for a few years now and the constant marketing of these companies making you think you need more than what you actually need. It looks like CO2 has become a "requirement" hence why some people believe it's a necessity, when in reality it is not in many cases.

Yes true, still true what Maq said. It's a sad situation. I don't think it's judgmental to say that. It's a state of facts.

I agree @Hanuman, factual or not is completely beside my point. I could think of half a dozen ways to make the same point come across without using a recent members very specific aspirations and questions as a self-serving stepping stone... If you read the new members posts its quite clear that he/she is trying to gain knowledge about what is needed and what is not, and never implied - as far as I can tell - being under the impression that CO2, special substrate or sophisticated equipment was mandatory or strictly needed. What I am asking is that we just answer the questions - especially from new members - on face value and keep our prejudge to ourselves and not using it as an opportunity to try and sound "clever".... In any event, I am not a moderator, but have been given warnings for far less lack of eloquence. Personally, I find it super exciting to have new members on board, be it beginners or more experienced hobbyists - and I know a great deal of us feel the same way. The very worst thing that can happen to our beautiful community is that new members start thinking of us as snooty know-it-all's ;)

Reason why people might think CO2 is "required" and you need heavy equipment in such situations is because of the overwhelming CO2 bias there has been for a few years now and the constant marketing of these companies making you think you need more than what you actually need. It looks like CO2 has become a "requirement" hence why some people believe it's a necessity, when in reality it is not in many cases.

Agreed, and same as I said in my post above.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I did not mention it but I targeted the hype, youtube 'non-commercial' commercials, the environment overwhelmed by marketing. The beginners are innocent victims.
And yes, it's up to forums like this one to bring in some deliberation.

I thunk low level CO2 injection with medium light would be the way to go. Start it up 2 hours before the lights go on

Back