• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it worth using surge protected extension blocks?

Wisey

Hi All,

Just wondering if it is worth paying extra for surge protected extension blocks for my aquarium cabinet? I understand their benefit for something like a computer, but will I get any benefit with my aquarium kit? I would have thought I might want to protect the TMC LED tile and AquaRay control unit.

Annoyingly Amazon, Screwfix and B&Q all seem to fail to stock the individually switched surge protected 4 gang extensions, they only have the non-surge versions, or the surge protected ones that are not individually switched and I really want individual switches if possible.

Any thoughts?

Wisey.

I use one without the individiual switches, no problems but unsure if there are any benefits too, maybe just extra piece of mind? I had this anyway so just used it..

Yes the home surge protectors are like this below......which actually might be more useful...
chocolate-teapot1.jpg

These are really only meant to stop interference from things like passing un-supressed motorbikes, washing machines and sparking boilers messing things up (maybe), but really simple physics dictates that things this size are pure marketing. Proper big boy surge protectors are "big" and start at £100 odd for our ADSL/Infinity overhead line protector at work.

Years ago a mate of mine had his expensive £200 Courier modem zapped and tried claiming on the so called "money back policy" on the surge protector. After a huge fight and huge 0870 phone bill (£20) he manged to get just over £30 back, which was refund on surge protector and as 56k modems only cost £15 nowadays some money towards that. :sick:

Back