• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this algae?

Bacms

Hi guys,

I have planted my tank on Friday and had the lights on yesterday for the first time for 6 hours. I checked the plants this morning and several of them seem to be getting brown patches on several leafs? Is this algae?

I am injecting CO2, have 2 T8 25W on a Juwel Vision 180 and doing the EI dosing for fertilizing. I have noticed the drop checker was still light green this morning even though CO2 has been off for a long time could this be the cause?

ibib2Zg.jpg

o64EiGS.jpg

KyslFtd.jpg

ZUiVKCV.jpg

How old is the setup, could be diatoms, quite common in a new setup if light is too high and on for too long.

I got diatoms on my Vision 180 with T8 tubes as I was too impatient, and turned the reflectors round increasing light levels and increase on time too early (after a month) and everything got coated in diatoms. Couple of Ottos scoffed the diatoms as well as keeping diatoms (and algae) at bay by using the reflectors to lower the light level and just being patient. Eventually got to T8 + full reflectors before moving to T5 tubes.

Can't really see clearly, but it looks like BGA. I'ts to early to tell what causes this as the plants just went in your tank coming from immersed growth, to be on the safe side take one more hour of the light period and add some excel every day (low dose).
Thank you Martin I have tried to clear some of the leaves and some of it it seemed to be just black dust that I am guessing it is just the tropica substrate or the finer particles of the soil getting up due to the disruption due to plants floating on the first days.

There is still more than that mainly on the anubias. I will buy some excel as I don't have any at the moment but have some sensitive plants to excel in there so not sure it is a good idea?

How old is the setup, could be diatoms, quite common in a new setup if light is too high and on for too long.

I got diatoms on my Vision 180 with T8 tubes as I was too impatient, and turned the reflectors round increasing light levels and increase on time too early (after a month) and everything got coated in diatoms. Couple of Ottos scoffed the diatoms as well as keeping diatoms (and algae) at bay by using the reflectors to lower the light level and just being patient. Eventually got to T8 + full reflectors before moving to T5 tubes.

The tank is quite old and I have reused part of the substrate. The filter is also new about a month old by now but everything else is new so it could be diatoms but it seems to dark. Seems to be affecting mainly the anubias so it could be a sign of too much light. It also seems I manage to burn my heater during the water change as I forgot to unplug it and only noticed when it came on after it was already halfway out of the water.

Back