• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LFS monsters

I think there is always a market for big and unusal fish species. But it's a niche market.
For one thing only the most enthusiastic fish keepers are willing to splash the cash and give their living room over to the enormous tanks necessary to keep these fish.
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/news2014/uks-biggest-private-freshwater-tank-is-closing-down

52d91da7cd79f.jpg

Personally, I'd have scaped it and filled it with Tetras :cool:

I'm guessing most die before they make it full size just because they aren't kept in big enough tanks/filters to cope with the waste. It seems daft to me they stock them, but then a lot of places are just as bad at the other end of the scale - teeny tanks marketed for average size fish.

No idea how that tank cost 6k a year in electricity costs; just doesn't seem to add up.

My LFS brings in a lot of the bigger fish, he does shift them, but I once spoke to him about this, he said he estimated there were a dozen big tanks in the UK outside of public aquariums (swimming pool size). The rest he pretty much sells to a few people across mainland UK. Doesn't stock the massive stuff to be fair, but 2ft fish etc.

I have no idea if there is much profit in them, I suspect not, but they do command high prices most of the time.

There are small Channa species, like the dwarf snakeheads that only get to about 20cm. But often LFS are unethically trading exotic animals doomed to early death in inappropriate conditions.

I'm more marine based and ran a lfs based mostly around the salt water. The average tank people kept was under 4ft but it never stopped them wanting tangs and other decent sized fish. So for me it's the shop cashing in on naivety. I only stocked fish I believed my customers could easily house long term but would order big fish in if they could prove they could house them. The trouble was the closest shop to us sold absolute monsters and while it annoys me they do have full grown specimens on display, like a metre long red tail cat.

Generally large fish are cheap at the wholesaler, some simply excess from food fish culture. I could buy a metre long parrotfish (well a small juvinile) for £6, travalleys for cents on import. I also think it's a blahblahblahblahblah measuring exercise for some judging on how many people wanted to order sharks just because they were sharks (no one got one though).

Do you want to guess the amount of light you would have to suspend above it? Light diminishes distance squared:confused:

10.000 litre high tech.. Has 4000 watt total with 10 metal halide bulbs :) and it mainly grows Java ferns and Anubias.
Most exciting joke is, it is build in an appartment on the 3th floor.. o_O I wouldn't like to be the one sleeping under it. :lol: 10 ton water and 6 ton sand.

Do you want to guess the amount of light you would have to suspend above it? Light diminishes distance squared:confused:
Haha...never let reality get in the way of a good fantasy...;)

10.000 litre high tech.. Has 4000 watt total with 10 metal halide bulbs :) and it mainly grows Java ferns and Anubias.
Most exciting joke is, it is build in an appartment on the 3th floor.. o_O I wouldn't like to be the one sleeping under it. :lol: 10 ton water and 6 ton sand.

Now that's what I'm talking about...:cool:

Wow, that's very cool - love the massive shoal of otos!

I think there is always a market for big and unusal fish species. But it's a niche market.
For one thing only the most enthusiastic fish keepers are willing to splash the cash and give their living room over to the enormous tanks necessary to keep these fish.
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/news2014/uks-biggest-private-freshwater-tank-is-closing-down

52d91da7cd79f.jpg

Personally, I'd have scaped it and filled it with Tetras :cool:
I remember this didn’t he have a trap in living room floor to sort out maintenance

Wow. I can only dream.....
It's like owning Fish Heaven,or the closest to it....
Those fish look so happy and behave so naturally, and I totally love the choice of fish.

Wow. I can only dream.....
It's like owning Fish Heaven,or the closest to it....
Those fish look so happy and behave so naturally, and I totally love the choice of fish.

Absolutely.. :) What i do not realy understand in his choices, he explains his aim is an Amazone theme biotope. But because of not having to do to much trimming/scuba diving all the time, he choose epiphytes because these grow slower an likely never need any trimming. So he went mainly for Anubias and Microsorum and or Bolbitis. South American epiphytes we don't have any. But then why not Only Asian plants and make it an asian theme biotope. Now he says SA Amazone biotope with the majority of the plants not from this region and only fish Amozonas and Amano shrimps. It's nit picking, but still as ADA professional talking about Amazone style and then present a Cacophony like this as Amazonian theme?

Back