Lighting on a 5ft tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Voo, 30 Sep 2009.

1. Voo

Voo Member

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a new tank and just trying to weigh up the lighting possibilities.

Looking to get a 5ft tank, comes with 4x 36W T8. Now, on larger tanks they say the wpg rule doesn't work so well. So i'm wondering just how good this is. I'm not wanting any carpeting plants, but maybe some slightly demanding stems. Limnophila Aromatica perhaps. Also thinking about the brightness of T8's, now that im used to T5's on my smaller tanks.

Further along the line i might upgrade - would 2x 54W T5 be enough? I might prefer 4x 39W T5 actually.

Thanks!

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Dont suppose there is much different between 4x36w T8 and 2x54w T5 really. Why not just try the T8s and see how you get on, no point 'upgrading' if you needed :) 4x T8's should be plenty anyway.

Sam

3. Mortis

Mortis Member

Just curious. is it possible to use a normal T5 batten fixture to light a tank ? Other than the caps on the ends of the tubes, I dont think there is any other difference between normal and aquarium fittings is there ? It is easy enough to seal up and protect the socket ends. Any thoughts on this ?

4. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi,
    You can use whatever you want but the problem of course as you quite rightly point out, is moisture ingress into the connector. If you have a method of sealing the connector properly you'll avoid short circuiting the connector or of corroding the pins. So once you've licked this problem your home free. :clap:

Cheers,

5. Mortis

Mortis Member

Will Blu tack work ?

6. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Umm, not really sure mate. It seems like if applied judiciously it ought to do the trick but I'm not sure how blu tack responds to heat. Those terminals (as well as the bulb surface) get fairly hot on a T5. Worth a try I suppose...

Cheers,

7. Voo

Voo Member

Thanks Sam, i'll try the T8's for a bit, see what they're like. Just have to hope they are 36W each :)

Mortis - what about using some kind of sealant / mastic around the end of the tube to seal it to the fixing. When it needs replacing it can be cut to free the tube. Again, not sure about the heat though.

8. Mortis

Mortis Member

I guess silicone sealant could work. Once it is dry, it doesnt burn that easy. Should be fine, I doubt the contact points get hotter than 80-90 C

9. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi
    You may get some strange smells though :eek:

Chris

10. Mortis

Mortis Member

Nah, silicone sealant doesnt usually smell once it is dry. I had some silicone left over from some window waterproofing work I did yesterday. Ive made a blob out of it which Ill put in the oven for a bit once it dries just to see what happens !!