• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Melting Marsilea hirsuta & Staurogyne repens?

I have measure the pH now and its on a steady 7.0 ( i think the other measurments that i presented were not right since the pH has been 7.0 for a long time). With 11dkH, its normal i think.
No mate, this is not normal. As a general "rule of thumb", you should be able to drop the pH approximately 1 unit from gas on to lights on. For very high KH the number might be 0.7 units (or similar) but it must definitely move.

The idea to have filter outlet and the pump in those positions was to have a flow from left to right in front and right to left in the back, in order to have a kind of round water movement in the tank.
No, you cannot play ping-pong with water. It does not cooperate unfortunately...

Cheers,

hi Clive.

as i mention yesterday, i changed the pump position to the same side as the outlet. what i noticed is that the dropchecker is not so bright as yesterday before the changes.
i will keep the equipments in the same position but i will increase the co2 flow to 4 bps to see if there are differences tomorrow. i have measured the pH and its 7.0! could i have some problem with my sera tests?

this situation is too annoying but i will keep pushing forward till i have it solved!

cheers

Yes, it's very annoying. CO2 is the single most difficult skill in planted tanks. As I mentioned, you should also try mounting the flow outlets on the back wall, facing forward and check the pH profile. Do not depend on the DC color.

Cheers,

Hi Clive,

how will someone know that the pH shift is adequate according to the kH? I mean if I have a kH of 2 and my pH shifts by 1 unit and someone else has a kH of 13 and the pH shift is by 0.6 units....how will the two compare?

You will know by the health of your plants. I cannot tell you how much is adequate because adequate depends on how much light there is for example, or how good your distribution is, or what the water temperature is, or how much plant mass is, or whether the tank is covered/uncovered, or what the surface disruption is.

That's why, as I mentioned a few posts ago, that it is only a "general rule of thumb" that for medium KH water, around 8 dKH or so, a 1 pH unit drop is usually sufficient, for higher KH water the same CO2 concentration level is achieved with less of a pH drop, but for low KH water the same CO2 concentration level drives the pH much lower, so 2 unit drop is not unreasonable.

Mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Back