Moss troubles...

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by misscaretaker, 1 Nov 2008.

1. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Hi, I am having trouble with getting my mosses (weeping & java) to root. I seem to recall reading somewhere on here (or did I dream it? :lol: ) that mosses aren't all that keen on very hard water. It is tied to lava rock so it shouldn't be to difficult but after 2 months it's still constantly floating to the surface and bunging up the filter intake :rolleyes: . Itook one of the smaller rocks out last weekend to see what had actually attached and it was one lonely strand! Am I just being impatient?

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i am not sure wether it is weeping moss or willow but 1 of the 2 doesnt root.

as for the java it should have strated to root by now, when you tied it down, was it tightly secured against the surface or loose?

3. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Weeping moss does attach to hardscape. However there are a range that either don't or take very long to do so. For me Spiky Moss never attaches to wood or rocks.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Willow moss won't attach, but the others should. :)

5. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Thanks, I had a lookat the weeping moss in the 60l (no co2 yet) tank and it has just started to root. The Java moss in the other tank hasn't so I retied it, just impatient I guess :rolleyes: ;)

6. Egmel

Egmel Member

I think it roots more quickly onto wood than it does onto rocks. My Java took forever to get a hold on some slate and in the end I took it off and put it on some wood, it seems to be rooting more happily on that. I think only one or 2 strands rooted on to the slate in the end, and that was after several months.