• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mr Amano's home tank!! (must see)

WOW!!

Think that has to be what my house is going to look like in a couple years (3 bed semi in Harrow) ;)

Not sure about Amano's kaftan either.

he he... :)
I had an urge to look at pics of this tank, and thought why not bump it as there is bound to be a few new members looking at the active posts list who would like to see it :)

Wasnt there a thread about a group going to this place? Or maybe I was reading on another forum.

Im frequently visit Hong Kong as I have family out there and one of these days I will go Japan and visit the musuem :)

Just a matter of time..... reminds me to play the lottery so I can bag myself a tank like Mr Amanos LOL!!

I think the pics on this post were from an AGA visit (that is from memory so I could be wrong :oops: )
mlgt said:
reminds me to play the lottery so I can bag myself a tank like Mr Amanos LOL!!
and the house to match!

It's such an incredible tank. Just imagine designing it!

The Man, Mr Amano, really is the greatest ever scaper to live, and In My very honest opinion, no one will ever come close to him.

Great link Viktor :thumbup:

He's great Mark, but not the best. This isn't a healthy thinking ... :)

clonitza said:
He's great Mark, but not the best. This isn't a healthy thinking ... :)

it is an opinion ;)

so, who's better then? Just look at the past 20 years of his work. There maybe some that produce 2 or 4 stunning tanks, but Amano, produces them tank after tank after tank after tank...when should I stop? :lol:

no one can lay claim to that!

clonitza said:
This isn't a healthy thinking ... :)

for me it is. :thumbup: it makes me aspire to be better. we all need heroes

Mark Evans said:
The Man, Mr Amano, really is the greatest ever scaper to live, and In My very honest opinion, no one will ever come close to him.
Agreed. I believe Mr Amano has a unique mix of qualities that make his work possible. Not only has he massive amounts of vision but he is also from a culture that is very unique in its relationship with nature. I can only see someone else out of Japan coming close, and even then I doubt they would have the same outlook in aesthetics toward context (for example the products developed by Amano to minimise disruption to the 'scape - glassware, cabinet style, tank style etc. etc.)

For me its not just Amano's 'Japaneseness' that makes his work great, but that he is truly original is his vision of a holistic approach to everything that makes up the 'Nature Aquarium' not just the aquascape.

Just my thoughts ;)

Mark I know if you had his time and his tools, I can prove you could be better. I've seen your things and I'm positive you could grow.

Just remember that Amano is not alone, ADA is not made of robots, is made of people that collaborate in doing that beautiful things. Amano alone would have achieved nothing without his mates.

If you stick together as UKAPS and collaborate I'm positive you all could be a better name in aquascaping, just try not to copy what ADA like everybody does and do your own stile, inspired by the nature surrounding you.

Cheers,
Mike

Mark Evans said:
The Man, Mr Amano, really is the greatest ever scaper to live.....

I agree 100%. No one else comes close in terms of originality, productivity and consistency.

Mark Evans said:
....and In My very honest opinion, no one will ever come close to him.

I hope you are wrong on this count, as I feel the hobby is in real need of an injection of originality. I get the impression that you are right, and that aquascaping has been done, and all that is left is tweaking basic themes to make them a little different from each other. I suspect this is how cosmologists will feel once the grand unified theory has been finalised.

Dave.

Some are overdone, I mean dutch and iwagumi, nature still has more to offer but others are waiting to come.
Think for instance about painting styles: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Styles_of_Art

Many of them are created as a movement against other styles, or tribute to some ancient ones or brand new just from a genius spark. We need to clear our minds before having a bit of inspiration I think.

I'm just talking right now because I'm waiting for my vacation but after that I'll try to show you what I'm thinking about. :?

Mike

Dave Spencer said:
I hope you are wrong on this count, as I feel the hobby is in real need of an injection of originality.

Me to, But I reckon your right with this...

Dave Spencer said:
and all that is left is tweaking basic themes to make them a little different from each other

You've got oli knott, doing the mad and bizarre stuff...which he does well by the way

Amano doing the Nature thing, like no other. You've got maybe biotopes, which George covered, and did really good. Then onto the Dutch themed tanks. Maybe, there's is an avenue to slightly change the Dutch theme, but then it's just 'tweaks' like you say.

clonitza said:
hink for instance about painting styles:

I keep thinking about the artistic side of things, as in 'surreal' More along the lines of the plants as 'colours' and painting a picture.More like a painter than a gardener.

i've a few ideas which I hope to try, but I don't have the nuts for it. In my head, there like nothing else out there.

clonitza said:
We need to clear our minds before having a bit of inspiration I think.

This is great way of thinking, but I fear, for us in the west, UK especially at the moment, many folk just cant unwind. stresses of life. To be honest I wished I was 60's, flower power dude, but sadly I'm not.

I do try to switch off from daily work pressures and reserve a bit of time for ' thinking' about my future scapes. Designing, plant positions etc etc.

Another issue, is the shortage of tanks within my house and other folks homes to try and fulfil these ideas.

clonitza said:
ust remember that Amano is not alone, ADA is not made of robots, is made of people that collaborate in doing that beautiful things. Amano alone would have achieved nothing without his mates.

maybe so, but he did the ground work over the last 20 years or so. I would say, he's now the teacher, but would still produce magical tanks if he didn't have his helpers...just on a smaller scale.

Great discussion :thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
You've got oli knott, doing the mad and bizarre stuff...which he does well by the way

Amano doing the Nature thing, like no other. You've got maybe biotopes, which George covered, and did really good. Then onto the Dutch themed tanks. Maybe, there's is an avenue to slightly change the Dutch theme, but then it's just 'tweaks' like you say.
I think creating something original is still possible but I think what Amano did by creating the 'Nature' style is still a one off in its popularity and vision.

I think the reason why the Nature style is so admired and copied is because it agrees with all of our experiences of nature but can also be tailored to suit and stylised due to its 'fantasy' quality, unlike strict biotopes. The Nature style is also a romanticised and distilled version of what a biotope might contain whilst omitting the bits that aren't necessarily 'attractive' to the human eye.

Although still original both the Dutch style and Oli Knotts creations come more down to personal taste, as Dutch is very controlled and human in its rationality and Oli Knotts stuff is straight from his own head.

Back