• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 130ltr Tank - *Updated Pics*

My 130ltr Tank - Lots of Pics

Yup looking good. This is one of my favourite tanks on here - real shame about the journal. From the pictures your stauro might benefit from a good trim to just 4 leaves above the substrate and replanting the cuttings, and might be worth trying some easy carbo dosing to nuke the algae for good.

I'd also want to replace the intakes - is so easy to make them from acrylic and would look much better

Re: My 130ltr Tank - Lots of Pics

Thanks Mike,

How do you make the intakes out of acrylic? Do they provide as good flow?

Update today:

I cut down the Staurogyne as suggested - hopefully the new growth will be better.

I also cleaned my inline BOYU diffuser in bleach for about an hour - the bubbles are now a lot smaller so hopefully that will help to improve growth!

Still having trouble with debris collecting on the hairgrass - not really sure how to stop/maintain this as I now have around 3000ltr/hr flow in the tank...

Nice angled shot:
angleg.jpg

Front shot:
frontiua.jpg

Staurogyne cut down:
staurogyne.jpg

More cut down:
staurogyne2.jpg

Hairgrass does seem to be improving:
grasst.jpg

Apologies for the OTT pearling - it's just due to a water change done prior to taking the shots.

Eminem - talking 2 myself? Haha, nice video, you got some good flow in there.

you look to have a lot of detritus in that hairgrass, do you vac that area, if not i'd be inclined to vac it on water change day.

ianho said:
you look to have a lot of detritus in that hairgrass, do you vac that area, if not i'd be inclined to vac it on water change day.

Ian is that detritus or is it a different substrate to whats in the foreground ?

it is a different substrate, but hairgrass is renowned at collecting rubbish.

ianho said:
it is a different substrate, but hairgrass is renowned at collecting rubbish.
LOL, now he tells me.... :lol: I just couldn't see the detritus, but that doesn't mean its not there, and I have picked up another tip for when I finally get mine going. So when you vac a tank that has say florabase as a substrate are you essentially just syphoning off from the top ? Its not like the old days of plunging the water vac deep into the gravel and sucking up seven tons of sh..... is it ?

(I hope this is still relevant enough to this thread, but if not, just flick me a PM if you prefer Ian :) )

I do try and vac - but all i use at the moment is just a hose - not a special vacuum so i dont think it picks up all of the detritus. I've ordered a proper vacuum end so i will try with that once it arrives :)

skeletonw00t said:
Thanks Mike,

How do you make the intakes out of acrylic? Do they provide as good flow?

yup intakes and returns. just order it from here http://www.clearplasticsupplies.co.uk/a ... _clear.htm to the same width as your current one and bend with a pipe bending spring and a paint stripping gun. you can make a few different ones so you have (a) spares and (b) different angles to test flow patterns. if you narrow the end of the return you get faster flow too.

Here's the link to my DIY explanation http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16606

Nice Mike. Looks a bit to complicated for me though lol.

I saw what you wrote about that faulty check valve though & i'm pretty sure that same thing happened to me ages ago when i used a cheap check valve of ebay. I then switched to one i got with a Redsea co2 kit & the bubbles started to come through!

Quick update!

Think things are starting to pick up, getting some better growth & extra flow seems to be helping.

Sorry for the blurry pics I couldnt be bothered to stop the flow!

img0115s.jpg

img0116lsp.jpg

img0112yd.jpg

:)

Thats the idea, want to minimise algae as much as possible. Fish seem ok currently too!

Looking great now mate. And here you were about to rip it all out had it not been from some excellent advice of a member on here hey ;0) lol.

My drop checker is almost yellow in the evenings too. It's only of its like that early on I'd be worried ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is like that 24/7 lol :/ i dont use a solenoid :(

ps. yes thanks for all the advice everyone :) really did make a huge difference!

Back