• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 130ltr Tank - *Updated Pics*

Hi there,
sorry to hear of you losses. I love rummys and keep them myself.
Rummys are sensitive fish especially to nitrate, they need impeccable water quality. Often they are used as an 'indicator fish' to warn of declining water quality as the red in there noses fades when conditions are unsuitable.
Your existing fish may have slowly become adjusted to a possible water quality issue/or high levels of c02. I noticed you added them "last night", perhaps at the peak or getting towards the peak of your c02 levels? I tend to air on the side of caution when introducing new fish and add them when the c02 is off, or if this is not possible then i simply leave it off until ive introduced the fish so they can slowly acclimatise as the c02 is added.
I hope you get to the bottom of this as rummys will suit your scape beautifully.
Hope this helps,
Ady.

i see now also that you only temperature acclimated them, if the shop water is wildly different in chemistry to yours then as said this could also have been the reason.

Ok.
I'm going to take them back later - reckon i'll have any problems?
I think p@h let you return dead ones?

Sorry to here of you loss skeletonw00t

I can still see in your pictures your DC is yellow and are they guppies in one of the pics there both breathing from the top of the tank looks like a sign that you dosing far to much CO2 to consider keeping fish in there i would lower the co2 by a buble or two till DC is clearly showing green and not yellow soon as you can

angle1o.jpg

sidebq.jpg

frontahx.jpg

front1e.jpg

I cant be dosing too much co2 though as i was getting algae even though i had lots of ferts

sure but if you're not moving deadspots that wont help both the powerhead and the output are pointing straight across your tank at a guess that'll leave deadspots along the base back wall and the base front wall and front right corner too

Mmm true. its just my current fish are all fine - only those new ones. Maybe i disnt acclimatise them properly

for the fish yes the flow comment was more related to the too much co2 comment earlier and you responding but i had algae it could be with better flow management you can turn the co2 down which won't effect the fish as much.

as for introducing the replacement fish if you get some test the water you get from the shop and the water of your tank before you start to drip them so you know just how far out the water levels are. if they're quite similar you'll not need to drip for too long if they're miles different (ph will probably be the noticable one here) then you'll have to drip them for quite a while

Got my Purigen today - 200ml of te stuff! Should hopefully keep the water crystal clear!

Does anyone have problems with detritus building up on leaves? I don't get it - i have like 30x flow now - using a koralia too and i still get a build up of dirt around the tank. I'm thinking of buying a few more oto's But my current ones don't really seem that active these days - but then again they must be eating something as they haven't died yet!

Ottos tend to be more active if there's more of then mate. Was just reading back a bit about your rummies. When you next introduce fish try to do it a few hours before co2 comes on or they'll die as they haven't been allowed to adjust to the increasing co2 in the water. I tend to leave lights and co2 off on days I introduce new fauna.
Co2 may be a little high if it's always yellow too., mines yellow ish as my co2 goes off.

Ps your not the only one with detrius on leaves its bloody frustrating too. I get it often despite feeding very little, vaccing etc.

Will post some photos this week. Not much has changed though. Growth is still slow & i am struggling to keep up with all the dirt accumulating at the bottom of the tank.

I have around 40x turnover now - 2x 1500 koralias & my filter outlet. Co2 is being injected directly into the filter as well. Think im going to tear it all down and start again.

Might try and turn co2 to like 10 bps first to see if that helps. Pretty much all my cherry shrimp have dissapeared too - not sure why :/

Probably going to start again with just a moss based tank - riccia or something easy!

I truly am at a loss as to why this tank isn't working out.

I'm basically overdosing on co2 & ferts & have 30x flow... Yet growth is still next to nothing.

I am thinking maybe my 2x T8 tubes aren't enough - but i get algae so it has to be! Ceg also says its more about co2 and ferts than light...

algae grows at any light level. try knocking back the flow , say to 5-10 x and see what happens

Back