My first ever planted tank and Tank alone!

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Gallery' started by chilled84, 7 Sep 2009.

1. chilled84

chilled84 Member

This is my first ever Aquarium and i choose to have a planted tank. I have jumped right in the deep end here with this one. I wanted to be brave. This is my first tank i have ever done. Its 2ft and a half long by jewell will exchanged filter stystem to an internal stystem by hydor. Its also has plant nutrition by tetra, Tetra optimat, Tetra complete substrate and crypto tabs. Fine gravel top substrate. Three dimensional backround made in fibreglass! NOT BY MYSELF! im not that gifted. lol. I have a varity of plants. Cant remember many names. lol. Amazon sword, pigmy swords in front with couple of other carpeting plants, HC on left to hopefully fill forground. I hope the hc grows. Many have failed in there. 3rd time lucky lol. Its two weeks old this tank and i hope im sucessfull with it and it all grows nicely. Hope u all like. Ps i think i have hair algau growing, its real fine and brown on leaves and pigmy plant in front. Hope you like and hello from me.

NEWBIE FROM ENGLAND. HELLO. AND THANKS FOR LOOKING! :D

[​IMG]

2. samc

samc Member

first of all welcome to the forum! :D

your tank is great for first time and the plants all look really healthy. well done

PS. when posting images right click the pic on imageshack and the click copy link location and paste that into the img brackets ;)

3. glenn

glenn Member

welcome to the forum, nice background and betta btw. well done on it being your 1st tanke also :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

4. chilled84

chilled84 Member

thanks again. I just wish i could get rd of this brown vainy looking stuff building on leaves and stuff. Its looks horrid. :(

5. mattyc

mattyc Member

here you go this is your pick :D , this is a nice looking tank good work. you are probably lacking in co2 which is causing you some algae problems. look at this excelent algae guide by James C http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
    [​IMG]

6. chilled84

chilled84 Member

Nice one, Yippe. My pic haha. Thanks mate. I didnt know how to do it. lol. Lacking co2 u say. I am running co2 optimat, And refilling two too three times a day on that.

7. chilled84

chilled84 Member

Just read that article u sent, Seems i have staghorn! and possible oedogonium. Must be circulation. I pointed my exit pipe towards water surface to agitate it. Think ill turn it down to face the floor or side of tank later. Will that be enought to agitate top of thewater thou?

8. mattyc

mattyc Member

how much turn oner do you have (your filters L/hour) this should be 10x the volume of the tank IMO the juel internal filter isnt enough to supply this flow. if this is low then you could add a power head. HC loves CO2 how are you ahhing this to the tank. i have the same algae in my tank because a pipe came off my co2 system

I have writen a short article about building a FE CO2 system, http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7776

9. chilled84

chilled84 Member

Im running an internal hydor r1011 cystal duoflow rate 800 (210 gph) And my tank is 80ltrs 2ft and a half by 1ft by 1ft.

And im useing a co2 optimat by tetra, Wich i fill two too three times a day.

i think its cos i have my filter pointing the jet up towards surface and not towards hc or the ground inside aquarium. I have the tetra optimat co2 right next to filter for the co2 to rise up into filter and spray out on exit.

10. mattyc

mattyc Member

I hanvt used this system, but unstable co2 will trigger algae in the tank. i would do exactley what you are going to do and supply the flow down towards the bottom on the aquairum you should be trying to set up a flow that can supply nutrients to all the plants in your tank. :D

11. chilled84

chilled84 Member

I will defo do that. I was so scared of blowing the hc around and makeing it hard for it to root. Lost so much money trying to grow hc. But iloveit and realy want to. But i just cant afford a co2 setup better than i have.

12. mattyc

mattyc Member

13. chilled84

chilled84 Member

Sounds good. Is it difficult to use. Any side effects?

14. mattyc

mattyc Member

all the instructions are on the side of the bottel i think it is 5 ml per 50l per week. it has been said it can effect shrimp but i use it and all my shrimp are healthy and hapily breeding away.

15. chilled84

chilled84 Member

Wicked. Sounds good. Hopefully that will help my hc grab hold and not drop away. Its so costy. Im loveing thehelp im getting here. Much apreciated.

16. mattyc

mattyc Member

That is what this forum is for. if you have any problems just ask on here betwen us we have seen it all!!! :lol:

17. chilled84

chilled84 Member

Ha Ha. Will do. All i want is a nice carpet of HC and ill be happy. Spend too much already. Your tank looks great too. Just had a look.

18. chilled84

chilled84 Member

Gona try everything to get hc going good and ill hopefully update pics laters. Few close shots of tank so u get better viewof layout too.

19. mattyc

mattyc Member

That would be good, is always nice to see peoples tanks on here!! I have a HC carpet as you might have seen, thanks for your nice comment i will be posting some more picks up later.

20. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi chilled that's a great first effort mate well done,
    john.