• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Grandsons fish - frog tanks - Wabi-Kusa

Gorgeous frogs. I used to raise them when I was a kid but once they got proper frog like I let them go. They don't live on wet ground all year round. We have lots in our garden and have no standing water but they love the log piles I made for bugs. The funniest thing to watch them eat is house spider (i don't like them I'm sorry:oops:) They use their 'hands' to keep tucking the legs in their mouth. Then they just sit there with legs sticking out :eek:

Gorgeous frogs. I used to raise them when I was a kid but once they got proper frog like I let them go. They don't live on wet ground all year round. We have lots in our garden and have no standing water but they love the log piles I made for bugs. The funniest thing to watch them eat is house spider (i don't like them I'm sorry:oops:) They use their 'hands' to keep tucking the legs in their mouth. Then they just sit there with legs sticking out :eek:

Hi Idcgoomer, Thank you :thumbup: We were thinking of letting them go in the spring of next year ?? Just doing a bit of research on there hibernation period Lots to read :eek: But all part of the fun too. Or we could let them go in September before winter comes ??? They are doing very well there twice the size of the wild frogs. We collected the tadpoles At my mates mums pond so the two we have are the same age as the wild ones. Looks like our ones have been on steroids and pumping iron :D

What is your advice let them go or sort things out so they can Hibernate in the tank ???

""""""They use their 'hands' to keep tucking the legs in their mouth. Then they just sit there with legs sticking out :eek:""" :lol::lol: I nearly fell on the floor reading that:thumbup::thumbup:

We watched one of the frogs eating a mealworm the other night It took ages for it to eat it all :eek: It looked like the frog had a wagging tail hanging out of its mouth :what::what::what:
I must admit I felt sorry for the mealworm but the frog was happy:)

If they are that big I'd let them go now. I'd take them back to where you got them so they can find that body of water again for breeding next year. Or take them somewhere that you think would be a good place. I think it would be hard to hibernate them as you'd need to put the tank somewhere cold. You could dig a small pond and release them there of course, and have your own population? My brother in law has a small pond ( no fish) and it is always bursting with frogs come breeding time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If they are that big I'd let them go now. I'd take them back to where you got them so they can find that body of water again for breeding next year. Or take them somewhere that you think would be a good place. I think it would be hard to hibernate them as you'd need to put the tank somewhere cold. You could dig a small pond and release them there of course, and have your own population? My brother in law has a small pond ( no fish) and it is always bursting with frogs come breeding time.

Hi Idcgroomer, Thank you :) When I mentioned letting them go too Shaun he got really upset:( Bless him.
Well there bigger than the wild ones but not too big. So could keep them ??

We do not have a garden As we live in a flat. There is an enclosed balcony that gets cold in the winter but safe from frost I could set up the tank for winter so the frogs can
Hibernate for this winter.

I read that frogs will travel miles to get back to the pond where they were born. So if I do let them go? I will take them back to the pond where they came from :)

Thank you for the info Will update at a later stage :)

You could maybe make them a larger enclosure then as the tank seem small for a permanent home. Ours live in the shadey side of our garden and always found on the barkchip around the logs.

Love the tank:) - it looks beautiful and the fish seem very content and brightly coloured. Did your grandson create the tank by himself?
It's amazing... it looks really natural and is so well balanced.
He is one lucky kid to have a grandad like you who encourages his evident love and observation of nature.:):thumbup:

Hi Roy.. Lovely frog tank.. :) They travel allright.. :) i find them in my garden pond all the time.. I live on top of a hill smack dab in the middle of some waters and still some choose my little pond to play around in. If i take the distances between the waters they have to travel 1 or 2 miles. :) I used to have a small ditch under the bathroom window in the garden. Don't know how it's called in english. Dig a hole, place bricks around, tadaa plantpot. Something like that..It is like 90x30x40cm Anyway did put pond foil in it, water and swamp plants. every spring i did clean it and also took the foil out and regularly found frogs and even salamanders under the foil hybebernating. :) No idea why they would travel about a mile up hill to hybernate at my place. :)

No idea if the could survive hybernation on a balkoni. tho in my garden they did 40cm deep under the pond foil filled with water.. i guess that also freezes rock solid when cold enough. Anyway they dig in to hybernate, so you would need to give 'm something like that. Dirt and old leaves.. Something with straw insulation might do, what many people use to make sensitive plants survive the freezing winters.

Last edited:
Love the tank:) - it looks beautiful and the fish seem very content and brightly coloured. Did your grandson create the tank by himself?
It's amazing... it looks really natural and is so well balanced.
He is one lucky kid to have a grandad like you who encourages his evident love and observation of nature.:):thumbup:

Hi Leap, Thank You :thumbup: The DW was out of an old tank so were the plants The Grandson sort of helped :D
He loves feeding the fish and watching them swim about chasing the food ;)

Hi Roy.. Lovely frog tank.. :) They travel allright.. :) i find them in my garden pond all the time.. I live on top of a hill smack dab in the middle of some waters and still some choose my little pond to play around in. If i take the distances between the waters they have to travel 1 or 2 miles. :) I used to have a small ditch under the bathroom window in the garden. Don't know how it's called in english. Dig a hole, place bricks around, tadaa plantpot. Something like that..It is like 90x30x40cm Anyway did put pond foil in it, water and swamp plants. every spring i did clean it and also took the foil out and regularly found frogs and even salamanders under the foil hybebernating. :) No idea why they would travel about a mile up hill to hybernate at my place. :)

No idea if the could survive hybernation on a balkoni. tho in my garden they did 40cm deep under the pond foil filled with water.. i guess that also freezes rock solid when cold enough. Anyway they dig in to hybernate, so you would need to give 'm something like that. Dirt and old leaves.. Something with straw insulation might do, what many people use to make sensitive plants survive the freezing winters.

Hi Marcel, Thank you :thumbup: Yes they can travel for miles to get back to the pond where they were born each year. Maybe that's why they come back to your garden?
Will be sorting the tank out so they can hibernate as you said leaves bark and things:)

Hi Roy :) Comming to think of it i searched a bit because the question intersts me somewhat. But regarding some found info, pet frogs kept indoors do not hibernate and it isn't a problem for them. Tho some spieces only need hiberbation to reproduce. Maybe a good thing to find out which exact frog you have.. Maybe not necessary to those you have, if even necesarry at all if you don't want tadpoles next year.. :)

:) If they are common frogs they probably hibernate deep under water.. breathing trough their skin.. They have several strategies of hibernation depends on the spieces..

Hi All, The fish are fine .One frog died :( The other one is doing well :D

This Is his new project Wabi-Kusa.

I was breaking up some Dragon stone for a scape Idea.The Grandson said I want thoughts bits for a W-K So I Found a dish some spare plants substrate mixed with some cat litter.

And off he went and came up with this. I think its Great :woot:

100_zpsqka7lfvv.jpg

:clap: It is great!! Also the plant choise.. :thumbup: Very interesting, would love to see it in a few weeks. Nice color that rusty look in the rocks.. :)

When will Shaun make his first W-K on it's own? Wont be long anymore i guess.. ;)

Hi All, My Grandsons fish tank is doing well coming up for 6 months old Out of the 5 Neons we got only one survived :( Think I will get some easy fish for him to look after ;)
So this little tank is at an end.
Good news is we are setting up a 30cm Cube soon "" My old one "" Will update as we go along. He will be using the old DW and planting as he likes that. And this time he wants to use some sand around the front as he likes the look :D

Last couple of photos of this one

017_zpsq3bzjynm.jpg

004_zpsw7ewfllq.jpg

Back