• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my piranha

as you are aware I had problems with the o2 level in my tank when I repositioned my wavemakers

I put them back to the surface and came home to this, all is well and good again :D

Mate they truly look like they're struggling to swim especially to the right. I really highly, strongly advice you to revisit the flow of the tank. To me they do not look like they're having an easy time swimming. I dare say you will have better shoaling action without that amount of flow.

OMG they look like they are in a washing machine lol.. I thought they live in slow flowing water?

They actually come from lakes or rivers so if they are from rivers they would have much more current than that. I actually think it looks quite natural

Here is a random video i found which shows what I would consider a nice schooling action If you look at the OP's post and this, the OP's piranhas look like they're trying to fighting against a wave.

BBC's documentary on wild piranhas

The op (Jason ) tank has 57 x flow, 13 hours of light & co2 injection of some kind !
And yes that is fifty seven times the volume of the tank every hour.
Apparently this keeps the fish fit......!
Jason has another thread going that has more details by the way.

I don't know anything about piranhas but they don't look struggling to me much, just "playing". Anyway, O2 shortage is possible in an overstocked tank with piranhas because both of their bioload and messy eating, so lots of organics I suppose on top of that. But yeah, that's a lot of flow, even for a planted tank. And if the light is on for 13hrs, then hardly any co2 will get to these plants with that combination of factors.

weird that posted this on the piranha forum and they all say looks great, doing a good job but on here a planted forum im doing it wrong....I know which one I will use the advice of, guys that keep piranha...no offence to anyone.

also the critics...they aren't always swimming like this, they CHOOSE to, they are swimming towards the current. not shying away like they COULD if they chose to. the left side of the tank has very little flow.

I repositioned my wavemakers again....just to see if the naysayers were correct....and they are now doing the same thing on the back glass, where the current now is.

as I said before, piranha are from slow AND fast moving water.

I will show you some under water footage of piranha in the amazon....in high flowing water

because apparently foxfish knows best.

also adding two 12000,lph wavemakers makes it 24000 lph., but this isn't totally correct, the water doesn't move any faster, it just increases the size of the flow. something for you to think about.

lights are no longer on for 13 hours cheers for the reply sciencefiction. and matty1983

Jason we are here to offer advice. At the end of the day its your choice if you want to take it or not. Foxfish is just giving you his own opinion. Its hard to really gauge what the fish prefers because you are not them. I know this kind of bites me back with my comments but from the looks of how the fish are swimming its hard to not believe they're not really fancying the current in my opinion. Again we are here to offer our opinion so please understand.

I do understand, what I am saying is...if they didn't like the current they could avoid it, I don't like burning so I don't set myself alight...
it seems pretty simple to me.

when he prefixes his statement with "apparently", you get an idea of how hes trying to put it across.

I have had only positive comments across all the piranha sites in the UK and US. so ill have to disagree with too much flow, or them not liking it

Honestly, some fish just love flow although 70% of the area of the tank could have way less turbulent flow for them to go to and relax. I've got guppies and all they do all day long is go infront of the filter outlet or powerhead and blow themselves. I actually moved the powerhead around the tank 4-5 times over the last 2 years and the guppy bunch always moved their "resting" area to where the powerhead is and except for feeding time they stay there and blow themselves. If they want to avoid it, they just need to move out of there. Here's a short video of what they do, in front of both the powerhead and the filter inlet.

I guess we can all look at the same thing but still see it differently. I see fish trying to shoal on the left of the tank and trying to swim towards the power heads. But then the force of the water blasts the shoal apart with some fish forced up, some down and some having to turn around. I don't see a "shoal" swimming in the direct flow from the power heads. I see a lot of fish on the far left where the flow has dissipated somewhat, some above the flow and a lot below the flow. None of those fish are actually staying in the flow for more than a couple of seconds.

I agree some fish do enjoy flow,I have rosy loaches which enjoy surfing the current sometimes but they are not forced to fight a current constantly.
There is little space in your tank for them to gain a respite and I can't help but notice that no mention has been made of the cichlid hiding under the wavemakers.
As has been said,you asked for advice and we are all just offering our own opinions.

I do see that, this is also only a couple of minutes, I do see them in direct flow, but when they get too close it does knock them about but that's literally a couple of inches from the wavemaker,
also they aren't always trying to swim in the current. most of the time they just shoal normally, they have like a mad half hour where they do what they are doing in the video

cichlid hiding? where? lol oh.... in his nest where he chose to be? must be hiding, ...they lay eggs there
some people will see the negative in anything, at the moment those convicts run the tank, they aren't hiding

cichlid hiding? where? lol oh.... in his nest where he chose to be? must be hiding, ...they lay eggs there
some people will see the negative in anything, at the moment those convicts run the tank, they aren't hiding

I am not,by nature,a negative person and I am trying to see a positive side to your set up.
You state in an earlier post that your video is an example of their "mad half hour" and that the rest of the time they shoal normally.
I am quite happy to say no more if you would perhaps consider posting a video of their usual behaviour :)

sure, check my youtube channel. lots on there, if not I will upload one tomorrow after work np

Back