• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my piranha

I have just checked out your youtube channel but it's hard to see any "normal" behaviour as most of the video's are the usual piranha versus dinner type!
I presume that's where the other 15 of the shoal ended up?

not a clue, I have only ever found one head, im not sure I ever did receive the 40 I paid for, the piranha cant bite through bone yet, they aren't strong enough. and I only ever found remains of one. when you buy juvenile piranha you usually lose half as they grow up as they kill weaker fish. survival of the fittest, they calm down after sexual maturity 5-6" between 6months to a year. I named it piranha vs to get views, as you can see the videos are not of any feeder fish or anything distasteful, just wanted to get some views, thanks for viewing :D I have 3 zebra danios 1 giant danio, and one guppy in the tank, and have lost none.
the piranha haven't killed any thing yet, apart fromone of their own, but that piranha may have died whilst I was at work, and they ate the remains, I have kept piranha for a while, they do kill it happens, but with this new shoal I am yet to see it.

I will upload a short video for you tomorrow.

you could presume the others were dinner, but I don't honestly know. it happens in aquariums and in the wild with piranha, so I would have no need to deny it, but I am yet to see it with this shoal, I saw it with my last shoal

I know that piranha do this,as to what extent in the wild I don't know but the principle reason in aquariums is down to overcrowding.
You admit that your tank is overstocked now so why on earth did you buy 40 to start with?
Why have the danio and guppy in there,hardly fair to keep them in constant fear of predation?
Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to make judgements on my own assumptions,I hope you understand.

Piranhas are only cannibals in nature because at times food are rare which turns them against each other. If in the wild this happens because of the lack of food then in theory the same problem may be happening for the same reason. This could be the problem of having too many as they are competing with food with each other leaving other with no food causing them to attack their own.

theres food in the tank constantly, I also feed pellets aswell as lots of different foods, there is always some left so that all get a go, even the danios etc.
which is part of the reason I have only lost the one. (that I know of)
and in the wild when young they still kill each other, its like teenage boys getting into fights a lot, then when they grow up they calm down a lot.
other reasons could be ...an eye damaged when feeding, or a nip. they get weak, separate themselves from the shoal. next thing they are now on the menu.
the cannabilism you are on about Michael is when older, mainly in the dry season where they are left in puddles with no other food source etc, where its for survival.
just to make it clear, I don't have a problem with my piranha, everything is going well, only issue I had was the o2, and to try and get a forest growing at the same time, the o2 is now fine and everything seems ok for now, I agree with what someone wrote about the flow being turbulent, I have tried repositioning the wavemakers a LOT and am finding it very difficult to get the optimum position.
in regards to overstocking I receive a 6x3x2h in a few weeks, they have enough room for now, and the new tank is more than enough for them at 5"-6" when they slow down growth to an inch a year.

I don't want the danios, the only reason they are in there is I had them a long time ago, some neighbour dumoed them with me, at the time I had a 16" serrasalmus rhombeus imported from peru, I wasn't going to rehome them as I would have had to stress my rhom getting them out, as it turned out they were too quick for him and lived anyway.
the importer who I sold the rhom too in the end gave me a great price where I got £800 of juvenile piranha for him, the transition was instant and again with my newly imported shoal my concern wasn't the 3 danios in the tank, but some how they have lived...again.

if the piranha were hungry they would have killed another fish by now, I even have 5 ancistrus in the aquarium, pretty small and none have been eaten. these would be a free meal if they were hungry, so im pretty sure they are fine for food. like I say though if a fish becomes ill or weak it will be food, that's the nature of piranha, they don't necessarily go out murdering other fish, they spend a lot of time roaming and nipping fins for their nutrients as they grow back.

they are territorial in an aquarium though, so if I ADDED new fish..thats another story..

the overcrowding in aquariums im not too sure on by the way, as I have seen overstocked tanks which are amazing, usually the more you have spreads aggression anyway. in fact the better tanks/shoals I have seen are from overstocked. ill find some vids of this as well.

im not sure if different rules apply to having as many as I have, reason being I have kept them for a long time now, the last shoal was a shoal of 10, ended up with 7. quite a small number, but they had territories in the tank, this big shoal doesn't, they act more like a shoal....

on the piranha forums I usually see people keeping 5 or 6, which I bet they are acting the same, making territories for each other, and chasing away the others when they swim in it. which in the end will end in nips etc.

in my tank theres way too much going on to get a territory, this may change, I can only say whats been happening so far.

lights aren't on yet and I have work but ill try get a video for you asap.

thanks for the replies

heres a quick vid of faster water, Jeremy wayde also caught some piranha from rapids

rubbish quality vid, just uploaded it quickly to show you they aren't always trying to dive into the current and that they chose to.

will delete the video later as its awful lol

Just because fish are found in part of a river that is fast glowing doesn't necessarily mean that's where they prefer to live, they could be moving through for any number of reasons unless they are adapted for such a life likes plecs are
Perhaps if you placed a large piece of wood or rocks in the tank to give an area of calm water, then they would have a choice
It's like putting a greyhound on a tread mill 24/7 because it can run fast doesn't mean it wants to do it all the time.
You could put wave makers on a timer and add airstones to keep O2 levels high.
Trout would be a good example of a fish found in fast water, but they lay up behind rocks or in slow pools a lot of the time

Hey Jason, i know very little about Piranhas so wont speculate on flow/natural behaviour. I do really like the tank though, just as an observer the fish dont look stressed and its clear to see there are slow water areas of the tank if they so choose.
I think following the advise from the species forum is correct, of course if you would like advise on plants and how to balance the two aspects together we are more than happy to help where we can.
Will be nice to see it develop especially when the new tank arrives so keep us updated.:thumbup:

Right, I think we have made our points of concern to Jason, can we cut him a little slack now. He has posted a vid showing there is not a lot of flow in one of the corners of the tank. We all learn from these kinds of processes.

Reactions: tim
:clap: cheers lain, completely agree, I didn't post here thinking I would have got the comments I did.
and I will definitely need advice on the planted side.
cheers for the reply

Right, I think we have made our points of concern to Jason, can we cut him a little slack now. He has posted a vid showing there is not a lot of flow in one of the corners of the tank. We all learn from these kinds of processes.
I though that was quite a good choice of words there Ian "can we cut him a little slack now" although I think you should of directed the comment towards the fish LOL..

Anyway can I just ask you what would be you best advice to help Jason grow his plants...just asking like?

I have already tried to help by quoting the standard statistics of 10 x flow, subdued light & carful addition of C02 but perhaps there is a way of not gassing of the Co2 at very high flow rates?
I honestly don't know how you could feed in enough C02 without emptying a 2kg in a few days, we know that trickle towers burn up Co2 but what about huge flow rates ... surely that will just gas off the C02 almost instantly?

I don't know how Jason is getting the gas into the tank or what his bubble rate is though?

We do know that in even a standard big tank, like Jason's, it is not always easy to get algae free growth but, I wonder if the disturbed surface area will diffuse the light?
I guess that certain types of algae related to poor flow would not be not be an issue though...
It is just not something most of us have come up against to be able to give first hand experience, we know what does work but I doubt many of us can offer much help other than to say ... get a drop checker although that might not work either lol...ok other than to get a ph pen & do hourly test during light on.

I have a drop checker, and thanks for the reply foxfish,
it read like I had very low co2. when I had the o2 problem I repositioned the wavemakers back at the top of the tank. this must have actually created better flow to the other end of the tank because it now reads pretty good, im probably burning through co2 lol, but all seems well in the tank for now. I am getting a green algae on the glass but its not loads

Back