• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My real ADA 60pxd, Scapers tank 55 and UNS60f hobby return.

It is. It’s from AquaRio, it’s good for light scums and I don’t think I’ll run a tank without a skimmer again because they help so well with gas exchange. It can be fiddly to set up and the supplied diffuser can deaden flow a little too well are my main comments.

A few assorted thoughts on the 55 so far.
- The Eriocaulon is doing nothing right now and I put this down to the hardness of my water. I say it’s doing nothing, i think it’s likely trying to adapt because it’s neither melting nor showing obvious settling. I hope it settles and can tolerate my tap because the imagine in my head of the bull rush pincushion is something I had in mind to give the foreground more texture and lean the scape more toward the diorama than nature style.

- I’ve been h2o2ing the thread algae that has taken hold in my coral moss and it seems to be slowing it but it’s not dying yet. I hope it’ll die off as the tank matures because it is sort of key to the depth in the very back but we just see.

- of course the buce that melted was the brownie ghost, I noticed that there’s a few rhizomes left so I’ll resit the urge to attack it.

- the rotala has settled down a lot and it turns out is a much more mixed set of stems than I thought. I have pulled out the h’ra stems that sneaked in but have left what I think is waynand and “standard” rotala because I like that variation in texture and colour. Doesn’t match my initial vision but some serendipity is always desirable. I will soon start to cut to stems that have bolted, I like to let them get long enough that they can be planted the full depth of the substrate. Dosing extra trace has brought a lot of colour back that wasn’t there in the first weeks.

- p erectus and m Guyana as growing but are invisible in the scape, time will benefit them. Same for the ferns moss and elantine. I expect the first good trim will be in a couple of weeks but right now I’m content that it’s been pretty painless so far.

Attachments

• 2E567961-93AD-4B1C-916A-3A6051C1F010.png
    2E567961-93AD-4B1C-916A-3A6051C1F010.png
    703.4 KB · Views: 137
Well.
Good news, after making a few false starts I got notification my 60x45x36 has shipped and is winging its way to my door.

Time for the 45p to come down.

I’ve had a largely indifferent day at work and with days like that the mind obviously starts to drift onto such topics as why are my socks always uncomfortable before home time, what’s for lunch, ooof I’ve turned into a winter warmer, what to do with my bikes that doesn’t need doing and, of course, what to do with the new fish tank.

As an act of recycling and because I regret breaking the 45p scape, it will be classic nature aquarium - that much is decided. The scape I was going to build in it is in the 55l sooooo…

But this leads me to voicing my train of thought aloud. Choo choooooo! All aboard!

Så!
Given that the last scape had a lot of stems I want to do all grassy or open structured stem plants rather than rotala bushes. I already have a nymphaea, polygonum, ranalissima and hair grass.
I’d also like to try h.a. Chai. Because pinks suit me much better than reds.
I’d like to also try some needle leaved crypts. But what I aren’t sure.

I want to recycle all the epiphytes but I’d also like to simplify the over all impression so will likely jettison the odd ducks favouring the bolbitis and Java petit.

I also want to try and go for a theme and scape the tank with a fish selection already in mind. So with this in mind I’m going for a flooded meadow with a South American bent.
All the green neons and the twig cats will go into this new tank. I’m also hankering to try an aspistogamma or another cichlid and if at all possible, some corydoras and a second tetra sp or even a wildcard barb.
My local lfs has nannocara anomola, A. Trificiata and a. Borelli to choice from, the least shrimp hungry would be my preference as I’ll be moving the tigershrimp that have been chewed down to nothing by my galaxies in.
@dw1305 I suspect will have some thoughts - Perhaps even alternatives.

So with that in mind I need to know as much info as possible on if this is all possible. The corys I suspect might be pushing things too far but I miss keeping them.

I have already started eyeing up cichlid caves and thinking how I can hide them in a ryoboku type scape. A trip to steal wood from the royals will also be on the cards with it being a bit blustery lately.

In terms of how I’ll structure the tank I’m hoping to do 3 15cm thick bands for foreground, mid ground and background. This scape I plan to keep for at least a year or two. Being only 60cm wide though I know it really limits my fish and scape choice to keep it from seeing too busy.

I’m also thinking I should break to a new thread but I like to keep everything all in one place so I can keep track of my own meanderings.

To those who read this far I look forward to your input!
Here is a photo or 3 of what my mind is going toward.

Attachments

• 95EACF2F-27B3-4BC8-BD53-F1FE89B3F803.jpeg
    95EACF2F-27B3-4BC8-BD53-F1FE89B3F803.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 2F040FFE-0C8A-4D1B-A01E-61837F8023D0.jpeg
    2F040FFE-0C8A-4D1B-A01E-61837F8023D0.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 142
  • E925200D-93D7-41DB-AB45-042A53FE3A97.jpeg
    E925200D-93D7-41DB-AB45-042A53FE3A97.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 120
  • D71B64B5-1737-4486-B25C-E41B26E15BA6.jpeg
    D71B64B5-1737-4486-B25C-E41B26E15BA6.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 132
Hi all,
My local lfs has nannocara anomola, A. Trificiata and a. Borelli to choice from, the least shrimp hungry would be my preference as I’ll be moving the tigershrimp that have been chewed down to nothing by my galaxies in.
@dw1305 I suspect will have some thoughts - Perhaps even alternatives.
I haven't kept Nannacara and shrimp, but I can't see anything other than the cichlids eating them. Same probably applies to A. trifasciata, they aren't very large, but have a relatively big mouth.

I tried A. borellii and Cherry Shrimp, it wasn't absolute carnage (like it was with A. cacatuoides) but they still removed them over time. Dicrossus maculatus was another cichlid that didn't apparently chase the shrimps, but still managed to remove them over time.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I haven't kept Nannacara and shrimp, but I can't see anything other than the cichlids eating them. Same probably applies to A. trifasciata, they aren't very large, but have a relatively big mouth.

I tried A. borellii and Cherry Shrimp, it wasn't absolute carnage (like it was with A. cacatuoides) but they still removed them over time. Dicrossus maculatus was another cichlid that didn't apparently chase the shrimps, but still managed to remove them over time.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel,
Is there any species I can keep a look out for, not necessarily a cichlid?

I suppose no cichlid gives options for corys? 🤔

Garuf’s guide to collecting wood for aquascaping if you’re cheap or if you are cheap but pretentious and want to express the genus loci of a place by using the found materials of your locale.

So!
You’re going to want to get on your bike, my personal recommendation is a 30year old hybrid with slicks and a close range cassette that you built for going around the city - this will be important later. You’ll also want to be about 8kg heavier than you we’re pre-plague and have done no cardio exercise for about 12 months.
Next you’re going to want to pack a saw and a measuring stick - don’t forget that like I did and some work gloves and a flask of tea or coffee. Which I also forgot. If you’re on land where you might get bothered a top tip is a hi-vis. No one bothers you in a hi-vis, like when wearing one on the bike you become invisible.
Once packed, ride to your nearest royal estate. Remember it’s not theft it’s reparations and their land is your land. Look for oak beech and hawthorn, these I have the best success rates with.
When you find the trees look for “stagheaded” branches or whole felled trees.
For roots like redmore look for recently felled trees.
For horn or branch wood type branches look for trees that have been felled for a long time. If you’re looking for branches around the diameter of your thumb you’ll want to look for branches that are about 4 times that size and with an outer rotten area. The inner wood once that soft mush is off will be rock’ard. Same goes for roots.
For long thick branches you’ll likely want the saw and the look for more recently felled trees. These will often yield more detailed and branch like structures.
Once you’re fully loaded your going to want to look for that last perfect bit by trying to ride through a bog and have no traction and an insufficiently low gear.
Once wet and muddy ride home into a head wind and with slightly too much weight at a grindingly slow pace safe in the knowledge that you’ve only managed half the job so far.

Attachments

• F17DB7ED-B7D3-4147-883B-DDC8961070EC.jpeg
    F17DB7ED-B7D3-4147-883B-DDC8961070EC.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 132
Hi all,

A small Corydoras would be good. Corydoras panda is easy to find, but you may have access to C. napoensis, C. similis etc.

cheers Darrel
Seems the other fish shop I like has quite some options available, but pandas are very cute.

78596E8C-066C-4639-988C-48ACDE7CE08E.jpeg
0E7C6708-0CF6-403A-869A-418D31897997.jpeg

Plants that won’t get recycled are now also on the way! 😎

70247AD6-F8E6-47DC-94F6-7270371D7BE6.jpeg

Soon time for the first hard trim.
Lots of staghorn shown up.
Filter and tubing clean is due.

45p scape has been taken apart and is now just a plant holding tank.

The endler tank will also be shut down soon with the inhabitants going in the 45p and a experiment on the way for the 45f.
If there’s anything worse than waiting, I’m not really sure what it is.

Yeah generally speaking me too but shipping a glass box… that’s nerves.

Back