• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My real ADA 60pxd, Scapers tank 55 and UNS60f hobby return.

150953C6-B96D-4BEC-BF61-BC994FE35760.jpeg

I’m not used to maintenance being this painless. I mean. Other than glass wiping and netting - that’s not iwagumi easy.
Fixed a few niggles. I think the p erectus has died from being in the shadow but that’s just how the dice rolls sometimes.
Will h2o2 the staghorn to see what if doing to trim out the old leaves. I’m certain that this twiggy wood dumps a tonne of sugar which is why it’s so bad only on that wood.

FD6C6FB5-5DEA-4CEC-A4C2-154E630C892C.jpeg

The farm also looks a-okay. Did a thin and planted some new plants in the big gaps. Will have to keep an eye on the rotala to stop it spreading into their space.

Rather “excitingly”, tnt called me today to tell me they have lost my aquarium. Which is good.
It’s not like I have all the plants sat on my desk waiting to be planted or anything.

Oh well. Best laid plans and all that. I just hope it arrives in one piece when they do find a great big box.

Attachments

• 6AF81BD5-CA99-4CD1-9516-4F1DCDF1A384.jpeg
    6AF81BD5-CA99-4CD1-9516-4F1DCDF1A384.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
New stand built, all the equipment (minus a “better” light in my possession, a tonne o wood and bricks and ahhhhhhhhhh, where to start!
All that depth and it’s like the first page in a sketchbook, it’s overwhelming because as soon as you start the clocks ticking when your plants are already ready to go.

I have a theme and so on but the extra front to back made my mock up scape look naff.
image.jpg

Stick a fork in it. It’s done.

Only it isn’t. I have to go buy more soil.

Sadly. I think I have insufficient sand for the panda corys Id been trying really hard to make space for.

Looks o’reet though. Planting in the morning after a trip to the fish shop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
Thank you Geoffrey.
Yeah it’s very much a first world problem. I have about 30l of bolbitis still and as many stems of mixed rotala.

It is. If it grows if grows and wonderful it’s the pop of pink I wanted to make the scape feel like spring. If it doesn’t, ahhhh we’ll we tried.

First 24hour. No changes in the plants. Obviously.
I also have the luxury of time and a clean room now to go through my thoughts and explain what I was trying to do and highlight a few issues.

Firstly I’ll point to the major issues I encountered - pppppp.
Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Don’t do what I did and buy your plants, equipment and tank expecting a just in time miracle. TNT will loose your aquarium, your light won’t arrive on time and your plants will be on your desk or thrown in other tanks and the condition won’t be 10/10.

Pppppp. When scaping to a plan. Go back to the plan and ask yourself “is this the plan or is this something new”.
With this scape I tried really really hard to picture branches that had been washed down stream and become trapped against a large rock. I was also trying to picture a flooded grassland.
Does what I made really reflect that? Right now, no.
Well, what happened?
Basically, I got home from work after eating a McDonald’s and decided to try and knock out the majority of the scape before going to bed knowing that Planting needed to happen on Saturday or Sunday otherwise it would be another week before I’d have time and I’d already pulled the 45p down so the clock was ticking.

My truing stand at work says “don’t drink and true” on it - I should have the same sticker that says don’t scape and drink.

Now, I haven’t drank more than 2 beers for over 2 years now, lock down and head health and so on, but customers insist on leaving beer as a tip so I put away 8 cans while working.
This was a mistake.
One because I had a stinking hangover in the morning and 2 because I defaulted to “near enough is good enough” and allowed to wood to “speak” to me and dictate the scape. The opposite of the scaping to a plan and finding the right wood for the plan ethos.

If I’d not felt the time pressure, this scape would be much different with a much simpler structure. “Ahhh, thar’ll do” is the enemy of good work.
Next time I scape and live with it for a minimum of 2 weeks before planting. I’d recommend this to everyone. Do as I say not as I do.

Hopefully the planting will push the tank back to the theme, I’ve tried to use only grass like or needle leaved stems.
I have also used rotala Ceylon and HM as a filler. Because hm I had and Ceylon is pink and I had it.
I’ll replace them when the tank is more mature but with what I aren’t sure. But what ever stem it will be it’s important that it forms loose bunches not dense hedges.

Things that also didn’t happen as I planned, because of the time pressure, half the tank being sand. How did that happen? Easy. Insufficient pppppp and allowing the wood to dictate the scape. I was trying to get the woodwork in the foreground to not touch the bottom on the tank with sand all the way back. However the large wood that splits the tank just didn’t work like that so I used it as a retaining wall. What I should have done is use different wood and stuck to the plan but I’m lucky in that that outcome is like a 6-7/10 regardless.

Other notes.
“thermal glue” is crap.

Epoxy putty is a life saver when you need wood to poke at an angle for “drama”.

Silicone is even better but you have to remember to buy it.

Squirting liquid superglue onto filterfloss will save you a lot of swearing.

Having too many plants is a nice luxury but the sadness of having 2 bucketfuls of plants and no way to save them is worse.

I have used tropica baselayer and new soil and then capped with old soil. Richest, rich, least rich. Also adds bacteria, micro life etc to speed up maturity.

I used filter media taken from all of my filters so that the ceramic media is all mature. I also added 1l of carbon and a bag of pyrogen to help soak up organics from the wood.

The water is still slightly milky but I think this will pass with a couple of water changes, I think it’s from the ceramic media. It could also be bacterial.

I added the first ferts and co2 and now it’s just water out, water in for a few weeks.

That’s it for now.

Last edited:
Back