• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano 15ltr scape

Go away for a few days over Xmas and you come back to this... Some trimming and cleaning required! The Cardamine lyrata is also now growing all over the windowsill, which i rather like.

View attachment 96341

Did your cherry shrimp breed in the tank at all? Just curious as I've been absolutely unable to get them to breed in anything recently around 10-15 litres :(

Hi - the Cherry shrimp have been breeding it would seem, wee tiny ones materialise on a fairly regular basis. I don't feed the shrimp, them and the snails just get by on whatever's in the tank. They breed a lot in my 60L low tech tank and rather supposed they would not is a small high tech, but i was wrong.

And here's a top tank shot to show the overgrowth...
WP_20161227_005.jpg

I nicked loads of plants from this tank for my new big tank and did a quick rescape with plants I had left or spare.

First time I've tried a carpet and also experimenting with marsilea to see if it will grow through moss and bit like an epiphyte.

plants seem to be growing and cherries are still breeding, though getting some entirely transparent ones now.

I left the substrate undisturbed which I think may be related to why I'm not getting algae (touch wood!!).

Speed is one of the best things about such a small tank.
WP_20170314_16_29_45_Rich.jpg
WP_20170314_16_29_21_Rich.jpg
WP_20170314_16_29_13_Rich.jpg

A month on from the last update and the tank is approaching overgrown! The rannunculus is invading all available space, the MC is an inch deep, the bacopa is emerging, moss rampant.

I've been happy with how effective simply gluing some MC on the wood has been, its grown down through the moss to give a nice effect.

I think at some point soon i'll have to do some proper trimming, but for now i like just seeing it grow.

WP_20170427_20_06_20_Pro[1].jpg

Beautiful :):clap::thumbup: ; Bacopa is originally a swamp plant so emerges easily and flowers a lot; I too love ranunculus, but I think you should cut the longest leaves ;) and the tank would be even more beautiful with less hardware in it : external filter, inline CO2 diffuser, inline heater - if needed

Since June i basically ignored this tank. No ferts, co2 ran out, no water change just top up straight out the tap.

Last night i escaped, salvaging what i could.

Remarkable how healthy the plants still were. The tank had been a solid mass of plants, that kind of hollowed out as stuff in the middle died off because of lack of light. There was a good solid 2cm of mulm on the substrate. And yet no algae problems on the plants really.

The shrimps had sustained themselves, but were quite small. I think there were fairly slim pickings in the tank.

No doubt now I've rescaped it'll all go tits up.

Here's what it looked like last night, will post rescape later.
WP_20171110_18_05_54_Pro.jpg

I pinched the heater from this, so its running at 18c. Plants seem ok, although noticeable that Rotala grows very slowly at this temperature.

It doesn't make sense as a scape at all, but too much else going on to do anything about it!

View attachment 114302

I like this layout the best, the red plants to the front left slightly take away from the immersion and scale though imo, if you don't mind me saying

Ha! Couldn't agree more. They just got stuck there, they dont work at all! I just wanted them to grow so i could use them somewhere else when i got a chance. It also doesnt help that the light has been a bit wonky and as a result the rotala is growing towards the light from the window directly behind...

Really enjoyed this journey.

Its interesting how you had algae probs to begin with and then it settled down, I wonder why?

I am trying to get as much info together before i set up (get my life into order!)
When you put the new filter on this tank, do you feel it changed things much algae wise? or do you think you had the tank a bit too warm maybe?

After capping the substrate and then doing a re scape, did you renew your soil or just reuse each time?

Thanks for sharing!
Oh I guess I should ask if the tank is still up and running?

Wish you could still get those filters!!

Simon.

Hi, this was a while ago and honestly i cant remember. I do just dry and reuse old substrate usually. I actually think tje filter is pretty irrelevant other than for circulation, given the tank has no live stock.

You digging up this thread made me think i should have stuck with it instead of creating new journals for subsequent scapes in this tank. So im going to restart this with a recap of scapes that have been done since my last posts.

20200105_232401.jpg
20200403_202455.jpg
20200529_193852.jpg
20190308_213619.jpg
20190922_204942.jpg
20191102_203947.jpg

Back