• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Hardscape Help

Scott_Thomson

Seedling
Hi everyone, I'm new here, but been keeping an eye on tank journals and getting inspiration. I recently bought an Aquaone Aqua Nano and want to have a go at making a nice simple aquascape.
I then got some Florabase and some small landscape rock and the time has come to put it together.
I was just hoping I could get some feedback on my possible layouts so far, and any advice or tips to keep me in the right direction.

Here is #1

image.jpg

Here is #2

image.jpg

And here is #3

image.jpg

Sorry for reflections and iphone pics :sorry:

Thanks,
Scott.

Hi and welcome, great tanks those I've just given one to my sister. As for your scape I would plan it around the outlet on that power head or make a spraybar to fit on the end that will give you a bit more flexibility.( if your going lowtech maybe not). As for your thread pics good effort I'm drawn towards the third, you could loose some depth of the substrate possibly too. Do you have a pic of that big rock on its own?

Thanks, yeah I was planning on making a spray bar for it as I've heard the power head can disturb the substrate.
Yeah I can get a pic of it...do you mean on it's own in the tank? Or pics of it out of the tank?

Before you put them in sorry. Don't take them out though:) just been looking at the first picture, have you worked on creating something like a pathway type scape? I can see a nice valley type scape there maybe.?

Ahhh no I never took any pics before I put them in. I also like the 3rd one.
And yes, in the first layout as soon as I placed the rocks in I could see the path way, I thought about putting a sand path in, but then decided that the rocks peak wasn't tall enough?

I do have some other rocks that I'm not too happy with the shape of as it's quite round and I can't do anything with, so I was going to maybe smash it on the ground and hope for the best.

I'm also wanting to add dwarf hairgrass, and maybe some fissidens in the cracks of the main rock?

Open to all ideas!
Thanks for your help so far.

Thank you! :thumbup:
I'm pleased with how it's looking so far I think. Been staring at it all night, making small adjustments.
What's your thoughts on the substrate?

Thanks,
Scott

Just to confuse - I like the face of the rock presented in the first scape, it needs work, but I'd try some variations on that rock ...

You might drop the substrate level a bit more in the front, I suspect with time (current/gravity) it will drift that way anyway.
It's a small tank but you might add some asymmetry across the front & see how that looks.

If you've the patience, leave the tank in your favorite scape, look with fresh eyes in the morning & then over several days; adding water will also alter the perception.
Make sure that you have enough clearance between rock & walls, to work in the tank.

Wonderful tank! 4th attempt gives the eye a good flow of focus. Very natural looking! The substrate looks like the granules are quite big. Might give problems holding the plants down (my plants floated up right after I added water), but maybe with the dry start method things may work fine (wish I knew that before i started mine!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(my plants floated up right after I added water
I used lead strips (10ft from Ebay) to hold my bigger stems down either wrapping around the roots or just looped over lower stems. After couple of weeks when plants were routed I removed them.

Well, I went with layout 4. Eleocharis sp. mini was ordered and then a regulator, solenoid, co2 airline tubing, nano drop checker with solution, bubble counter and nano bazooka diffuser was ordered and was with me the very next day!, very happy with the service I got from co2art, and very helpful!

Eleocharis was planted on the 23rd of January and water filled level with substrate. Light comes on at 13:30 and back off at 00:30 with cling film over the lid and lid is off for 10 minutes at 17:00 and water misted onto plants.

Came home from work tonight and took lid off, looking into the tank and noticed some nice white roots! :woot:
Although no runners yet, but it may be early days.

Any body got any helpful advice as to what I'm doing? ie. lights on too long, or not long enough?

Also I've heard mixed reviews about misting a diluted mixture of ferts during dry start?, what's your views on this, or experience?

Thanks,
Scott

That's great! Thanks tim :thumbup:

Looking forward to getting it filled. Would you recommend I dose ferts as soon as the water is in ? If so, what would you suggest? (Bearing in mind it's only 22l)

Thanks,
Scott

Brilliant, thanks tim! Better get something ordered.

Also recieved a piece of acrylic pipe today...
image.jpg

Drilled some holes in it...

image.jpg

And tried it out in the sink...

image.jpg

Then put it in the tank

image.jpg

Need to order a silicone blanking grommet or plug for the end of it.
Gave the hairgrass a trim today and starting to see the start of some runners! :D

Anybody got any stocking suggestions?
Started off just planning on shrimp only...but starting to consider fish aswell...maybe some galaxy rasbora/celestial pearl danio ?

Thanks,
Scott.

Noticed a very small green thingy growing on the main rock today....anybody else had a wee unknown appear?......to keep it....or scrub it off ? :bored:

image.jpg

Scott

Back